Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Hans Dampf or Maxxis Ardent

I'm building up an Intense Spider 29 for use as an AM bike. I've got Maxxis Ardents on my Niner Jet 9, and I also had them on my Yelli Screamy. But I'm thinking of doing something different on this bike, enter the Hans Dampf. I've used the Ardents in 2.4 on the front, and 2.25 on the rear on my other bikes, but I see the HD comes in 2.35. If I decide to use the HD's, would it make sense to run 2.35 on front and rear?
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    I don't see why not.

Although you can run something like the Nobby Nic in 2.25 in the back as well.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes I sometimes run the 2.35 Hans Dumpf front & rear of my Jet9 RDO & will be using them on my Rip9 Carbon when I get it.

I like them more than my Ardent 2.4

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i found them very very similar.

mtbr member
    I've run both Ardent 2.4 and the HD 2.35s tubeless on Flows, front and rear.

They both measure to advertised size. The HDs are heavier, with more aggressive knobs. The Ardents are a bit taller and wider and roll a bit easier or hard surface.

So, I'd say choose the HDs if you want a bit more traction, or the Ardents for a bit more volume and cush with some weight savings. You won't go wrong either way.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

usually cranky
    dont count out the butcher

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Nobby Nic 2.35 in back looks like it would be a good match with the HD 2.35 in front. Is the Specialized Butcher still available?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am waiting for my Spider Comp too (assume you have comp as well rather than standard spider since you said AM). I went with the Hans Dampf 2.35 in the front and the Nobby Nic 2.35 in the rear. The Nic is lighter and has less rolling resistance than the Dampf. Should be a good compromise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I am waiting for my Spider Comp too (assume you have comp as well rather than standard spider since you said AM). I went with the Hans Dampf 2.35 in the front and the Nobby Nic 2.35 in the rear. The Nic is lighter and has less rolling resistance than the Dampf. Should be a good compromise.
    I'm building up a Spider 29, not the comp, but am building it more to AM specs in regards to the components I'm using.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I've run both Ardent 2.4 and the HD 2.35s tubeless on Flows, front and rear.

They both measure to advertised size. The HDs are heavier, with more aggressive knobs. The Ardents are a bit taller and wider and roll a bit easier or hard surface.

So, I'd say choose the HDs if you want a bit more traction, or the Ardents for a bit more volume and cush with some weight savings. You won't go wrong either way.
    Wow. I'm running a 2.35 HD on the front (on a Flow EX), and can't imagine anything bigger or cushier. Might have to try the Ardent next time around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just put a pair of HD 2.35 on my SS rigid.I live in PA. where the mountains are steep and rocky.Couldn't be happier.

WNC Native
    How does the volume on the HD compare to a 2.4 Purg??
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've run 2.4 Ardents (front and back) on my Yelli and now on 2.35 Hans Dampfs also front (trailstar) and back (pacestar). Inflated, the HD's are actually a touch wider than the Ardents... mine at least, are more 2.5's. The grip from the trailstar HD is fecking insane, however are in no way draggy for the grip they produce. On my Yelli at least, I think they roll a smidgen quicker than the Ardents. No way as fast as 2.2 Conti Race Kings... though Race Kings don't have any grip unless it's packed down and bone dry! I also find slides from Hans Dampfs a heck a lot more predictable than the Ardents... which have caught me out more than a few times losing the front end of the bike on corners in-spite of the fact weight is up front and bike leaned over, or when tackling off-cambered stuff. So Hans Dampfs all round from me...if you can't fit such a big tyre out back... use a Nobby Nic or some such.

I'm with stupid
    I was shocked by the butchers grip so add that to tires you look at and at only 55 a pop they are cheaper. I have not ridden the HDs in 29er only 26 but the ardent is more of a drifty style tire then the HD.

Ninja Master Powers
    Go with Hans Dampf's and don't look back.

Now older but less slow!
    On my Tallboy LTc I just swapped my Ardents for the Hans Dampf. I prefer the HD on the rocky loose terrain we have here.

Single Speed Junkie
    How do the HD compare to rampages?

I <3 NM
    I've been riding the heck out of my Hans Damphs for the last couple months and I love them so far (they replaced worn out ExiWolfs. I initially was going to buy WeirWolfs but opted for the HDs and their aggressive tread.

Sure they're heavy, but I feel like I can corner with confidence and their grip on loose rocky skree is insane. Nice and beefy. Perfect for chunky mixed-terrain trails like NM's Otero Canyon (all I need now is to get my skills to match my tire's ability ).

Here they are on my Pivot 429:

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    How do the HD compare to rampages?
    Better. Bigger. More cornering traction. Thicker sidewall.

Rampage is cheaper. A little lighter.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I just discovered the 2.4 Purgatory in 29 and of course the Big S stopped making them!
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For AM, I like the Maxxis EXO carcass way better than PaceStar. The EXO is just tough as hell. The PaceStar is nice, but if you run the pressure too low it seems to get a lot of little micro tears where the sealant will leak out. It really depends on your terrain though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What pressure are ya'll running in your Ardents? I run 20psi front, 24psi rear, and like them. Going to put one of these tires on a rigid SS. That's on a RIP9.
    Last edited by Rone Turner; 12-10-2012 at 04:59 AM. Reason: adding info

I <3 NM
    25/28 psi ft/rear

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    25/28 psi ft/rear
    Hi at 25 front the tyre just doesn't bite & bounces of everything, try it at 19 or 20 front & the tyre comes alive.

Drop the rear down a bit to.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 12-10-2012 at 10:46 AM.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Hi at 25 front the tyre just doesn't bite & bounces of everything, try it at 19 or 20 front & the tyre comes alive.

Drope the rear down a bit to.
    i'll give a go, thx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast