aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010

Handspun X9/Stans Wheelsets : Caution

I have a set of the X9/Flows and they have been a great wheelset until now.

The rear hub started getting a bit noisy so I took it to the LBS. After speaking to SRAM, they don't sell parts for their hubs. I cannot replace the freehub. The only option is a completely new hub. I even asked if they were possibly made by Formula or others and if the parts could be sourced that way. The shop already thought of that and SRAM again advised them that the only option was a new hub.

This is going to be expensive for me as it means I have to pay to build up a new rear wheel after buying a hub. So, whatever money I saved on the wheelset is long gone after I have a new wheel built. I can reuse the rim. The spokes, depending on the hub that I choose, may all need to be replaced.

I thought others might like to know.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Why won't they warranty it?

workin' it Administrator
    couldn't you get a new x9 hub and just swap in the freehub body if they won't warranty it? Generally freehub bodies come out with a large 10 or 12mm hex wrench after removing the axle, then they just unthread. You could probably get a x7 or an x9 hub and swap it out. Try to remove the original freehub first then you will see whether that is possible, then just pick up the new hub. That way you save yourself the headache and expense of an entirely new wheel build.

And definitely recheck with Quality as to whether they will warranty the hub, as it should be covered one would think unless it is really old.
    Try this: HTFU

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    thanks for the suggestions - I will check their warranty policy

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hsakkire View Post
    thanks for the suggestions - I will check their warranty policy

Did you ever get the issue resolved? I was looking at the same wheelset. I'd hate to buy it with a known defect.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Yes, they resolved it. SRAM was uncooperative but they were persistent on their own. They determined that the free hub is a Joytech and had one. They replaced it at no charge.

The only reason I can figure that SRAM was so uncooperative is that it's a Joytech and they didn't want them to know. This behavior isn't unique according to my LBS.

The new one has been working fine. My LBS rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Did you ever get the issue resolved? I was looking at the same wheelset. I'd hate to buy it with a known defect.
    Not sure if it's a "known defect". Lots of guys run those hubs. Except for the poor POE, they are reliable, strong, and relatively light. I just this week upgraded to a Hope Pro2 Evo, but used an X-9 rear for over a year of hard riding. Averaging about 100 miles a week. No problems. I weigh about 235-240 as well. I would recommend them for a cost effective good looking hub.