mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Handspun Wheels with Stan's Rims?

Anybody have any experience with Handspun wheelset with Stan's Arch Rim and SRAM X9 hub?

Did I catch a niner?
    Have experience with Handspun in general a riding buddy got a set of Flows with Hope hubs and they have been solid for a year now no truing needed that I can see. And they get a overall good review on this site.

I am personally not a big fan of the X9 hub I think the POE is rather low which I understand is around 15. But that is me some others I am sure think they're solid hubs.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member

SRAM 20mm TA w/ Arch

I have been rolling on a Sram 20mm TA hub with an Arch rim now for close to 200 miles. I only have the front wheel, but it has been flawless so far.

I would worry more about the quality of the components than how well the wheel is built. I know they have several builders, but the one that did mine did a top notch job. By that I mean the wheel was stressed and relieved before I ever rode it. It is as true today as when I removed it from the box.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What is POE?

mtb enthusiast
    Are these the ones on Jensonusa? That's a darn good deal for a wheel set if the X9 hubs are decent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Torreyaz,

Yes, this is the wheelset on Jensonusa.com. Treefortbikes.com has the rear wheel for $153. I am looking for the front wheel on Treefortbikes.com.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I purchased the Flow/ Hope front from Jenson. 700 mi., still arrrow straight. It worked out well because I was building a bike and I needed a front wheel and didn't want to wait. Jenson delivered the next day.
    Don't know about the X9's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edcft View Post
    What is POE?
    It's referring to the points of engagement that the hub has. Most riders like to have a hub with more POE rather than less.

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edcft View Post
    Torreyaz,

Yes, this is the wheelset on Jensonusa.com. Treefortbikes.com has the rear wheel for $153. I am looking for the front wheel on Treefortbikes.com.
    Even better! Thanks for the info. I'll be going for this same set in a couple months.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i see the hand spun on ebay all the time

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

I like mine just fine.........

I put a new set of Handspun with Stan's Arch and x.9 hubs on my Air9 at the start of the 2011 season. I did 4 50 mile MTB races plus the Leadville 100 with lots of trail riding and gravel grinders in between and have not touched the wheels. They are still perfectly true and spin smooth. I would like to go to Crest rims for the next bike so I'm trying to decide whether to go to a Stan's ZTR Crest set or order a custom set from Handspun. I would expect that either wheelset will be just fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Handspun is just the name for wheels made by QBP, the same company that owns Salsa or Surly bikes. Just like any other wheel built by people instead of machines. So if you want a custom set, just use a shop locally that builds wheels.

Hey guys, you can also get these direct... close to the same price though:

Handspun Products

Abby Normal
    I'm currently running a Handspun Flow / X.9 rear wheel purchased from LBS. Front is also a Flow / X.9 that I laced up myself. No complaints thus far after a few months of riding fairly rocky terrain. The rear wheel is going to need a touch of truing pretty soon (but that's probably mostly due to me running too low a pressure and kissing the rim on sharp rocks a time or two).

As far as the X.9 hubs go - they seem like good value for the $$. I am not hung up on the POE issue, mainly because I've been running XT level hubs forever (with similar POE as the X.9).

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    My 6'5", 260lb riding buddy has been beating away on a set of Flow/X9 Handspun wheels for almost a year and they're still pretty true. He's never had them touched since he got them and they only have a slight wobble. With as big as he is and his ram first, swerve second riding style, I'd say they're solid

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    +1 for Handspun. Have a few of their wheels and they were perfect out of the box. They were stress relived and never creaked, clicked or popped. All are still true, some are close to two years old. Good price and I would definitely buy again.

Dirty South Underdog
    We sell a bunch of those at my shop. The only problem I've ever seen is the skinny bearing in the rear X.9 hub going bad. It's a really quick/cheap one to fix, so considering the price, I say go for it.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    We sell a bunch of those at my shop. The only problem I've ever seen is the skinny bearing in the rear X.9 hub going bad. It's a really quick/cheap one to fix, so considering the price, I say go for it.
    I've got a litle play in mine now. Is there a tougher bearing available or should I just keep a spare handy?

B.Ike
    Sorry to hijack, does anybdy know if the. 15mm front can switch to 9mmm qr? Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    the handspun wheels are top notch. the only drawback with the X9 is it is very heavy. The price ALMOST makes up for it though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I rode a set of Flows/X9s for about 6 months before I sold them. No complaints with the build of the wheels, but as others have mentioned, the POE on the X9 hub is bad. Its lower than the XT hubs and noticeable. There were times when I'd need to do a track stand in a rock garden or such, and to get going again required almost a 180 degree turn of the crank before the rear wheel would catch and begin to turn.

they are cheap, but I'd rather have XTs than X9s, if we're talking bottom of the POE scale any day.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have a front X9 hub / Stans Flow and it's been solid for a year now. I ride pretty hard and weigh about 250, depending on the day. That hub isn't convertable that I can see though, keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Have to agree with the last few comments on the POE for the x9 hub. Never had any issues, but there is a noticeable difference if you're riding some really tech terrain with rock gardens, step ups, etc. Could be in my mind, but I thought my XT rear was more responsive. Then again, they were cheap!

Dirty South Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by motovita View Post
    I've got a litle play in mine now. Is there a tougher bearing available or should I just keep a spare handy?
    Sounds like an adjustment issue. It'd be worth checking, though. We just replace them with a plain Enduro bearing.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    How much of an upcharge would going with Hope hubs be for you? I've got nothing but praise to say about my hubs.