mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Handlebars - Cut vs. Replace

So after putting some miles on my new bike, I have came to the conclusion that the handlebars are too wide for my liking. Do you guys think I should: A. Buy new ones that are shorter or B. Cut them down?

mtbr member
    No Question, cut them down. See how you like shorter bars. If they work out better for you, your good to go! in you like them when they were wider THEN go out and buy the new bars.
    Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!
    German Engineering in Da Haus, Ja!

scholar and gentleman
    Just make sure that before cutting them down you try putting the grips/controls inboard for a few rides first! You don't want to cut them too short and then get stuck buying new bars.

Spend some time tuning exactly how wide you want your hand position to be, then cut.
    Honi soit qui mal y pense

mtbr member
    Ask your riding buddies if they have any extra shorter bars laying around that you could try out for a few rides. I bet most of them have a bar or two in their parts bin. Find a size you like, cut yours to match

official eMpTyBRain
    If you like the sweep angles of your current bars, cut them down. If not, go shopping...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    You can certainly cut them down. But as Philly B noted, you can move your controls and grips inboard without cutting the bar and try it out first. Not only will this give you a good idea of just how narrow you can go with your particular bar, it will let you try out various widths without permanently being locked into a width that may or may not work. You'd be amazed at how much difference as little as a 1/2" of overall width can make. The above method lets you tweak things a bit until you have it just right.

Just one word of caution should you decide to try this. Get a set of lock on grips of some sort. This makes it easier to move things around. And get a set of cheap bar plugs to plug up the open end. This will prevent you from taking a "core sample" of your body should you stuff it and end up having the end of the bar poking some portion of your anatomy during the process. Also make sure that you measure each side when you place each set of controls and the grip. You'd be surprised at how goofy it can feel if you get one side 3 or 4mm inboard or outboard from the other.

This method takes the "guess work" out of it and lets you try various widths (within the limitations of the bar), and figure out what will work for you. And whether or not your current bar will work, or if you need something different.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Does anyone have an opinion about these bars?...I'd like to get them for my Trek Cobia 29er..
    http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Light-Full-Carbon-Fiber-Mountain-Bike-Bicycle-MTB-Handlebar-Intergrated-Stem-/00/$(KGrHqV,!lEE5z7L7GPMBOlWllJTM!~~_12.JPG

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Not good with links but feel free to go to that site!

scholar and gentleman
    don't know anything about those bars in particular, but personally i like the idea of being able to swap out bars and stems individually to adjust fit or just try something new - without having to replace both
    Honi soit qui mal y pense

Sweep the leg!
    Cut 'em down! When I get a new pair of bars I end up trimming nearly 5cm. (2.5 cm from each side)
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    You can certainly cut them down. But as Philly B noted, you can move your controls and grips inboard without cutting the bar and try it out first. Not only will this give you a good idea of just how narrow you can go with your particular bar, it will let you try out various widths without permanently being locked into a width that may or may not work. You'd be amazed at how much difference as little as a 1/2" of overall width can make. The above method lets you tweak things a bit until you have it just right.

Just one word of caution should you decide to try this. Get a set of lock on grips of some sort. This makes it easier to move things around. And get a set of cheap bar plugs to plug up the open end. This will prevent you from taking a "core sample" of your body should you stuff it and end up having the end of the bar poking some portion of your anatomy during the process. Also make sure that you measure each side when you place each set of controls and the grip. You'd be surprised at how goofy it can feel if you get one side 3 or 4mm inboard or outboard from the other.

This method takes the "guess work" out of it and lets you try various widths (within the limitations of the bar), and figure out what will work for you. And whether or not your current bar will work, or if you need something different.

Good Dirt
    what he said.. move them around before you do anything crazy like waste money replacing perfectly good bars
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I've seen those before.. very blingy.. If I knew that they'd fit correctly I'd think about it as I believe it save a bit of weight, but like PhillyB said.. it's nice to be able to switch stuff around.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    definitively cut them down