Thread: Handlebars

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Handlebars

Im trying to decide what bars to try first. My issue is that I have broken both my wrists and certain positions are not comfortable. I tend to ride with the outside heal of my hand on the outer most part of the grips...my wrist is pointed outward which puts my elbows out in the agressive position. This is most comfortable but puts a lot of pressure on the outside heal of my hands. Im new to mtn biking so maybe this is normal?
    The current bars on Rockhopper 29 have a 10 degree backsweep 4degree upsweep. Would you go with a flat bar with 3 degree backsweep or 1/2" rise with 8 degree backsweep and 4 degree upsweep or just something else altogether?
    I appreciate any suggestions.

mtbr member
    It's hard to say. If I understand your description, you might be better off with minimal or no sweep. However, the only way to find what works for you is to try bars with differing configurations. Buy less expensive bars until you find something that works. Then go for the zoot versions if you like. Also, you may find that your preferences change over time as your riding style (and your body) evolve.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ergon grips include a bumped out portion to rest the outside heal of your palm on. You rotate them until the grip is positioned to take some weight.
    ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm already running the ergon grips so it looks like it will be an educated guess and trial & error till I find what works. I think I will start off trying the flatbar with 3 degree backsweep. A guy at the bike shop is going to loan me some ergon grips with a short bar end intregrated into them to see if the different hand positions help.

banned
    Hold yor hands out in front of you with a slightly closed wrist and feels natural. Make a note of the angle of your hands relative to your arm.

Take a spin around the block on pavement. Make the same slightly closed fist (open as if your holding onto the handlebar). Place them on top of the bar as you ride. It should be about the same as the above test.

This should tell you if you need alot of backsweep or very little. Should help get you pointed in the right direction.

Also, if your riding towards the outside of the bar or hanging off. You might consider a wider bar as well. Good luck.

mtbr member
    you might prefer to use a BAR END Grip.

alternating your hands to the side or middle grips could help a lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I had same issue with my bar until I drop the upward position to a bit lower than ground level, it solved the problem. Upward bar created a lot of discomfort....

mtbr member
    Check the rise in your Stem and the length too.
    I needed to shorten my stem but then I went from a mid-rise bar to a low-rise bar and it hurt my posture.
    My shoulders and wrists and fingers all started aching on long rides.
    I put a spacer on the headset to raise it back up.
    Alternately I could get a new stem with more rise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks, I tried this method in addition to another method of laying a broom handle across my handlebars where they are clamped into the stem to see if a straight bar felt better or worse. The straight bar felt better so I ordered the bar with the least amount of sweep @ 3 degrees. Will get it tomorrow and try it out this weekend.
    I noticed that there aren't really a lot of options to bars when it comes to the sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post
    Hold yor hands out in front of you with a slightly closed wrist and feels natural. Make a note of the angle of your hands relative to your arm.

Take a spin around the block on pavement. Make the same slightly closed fist (open as if your holding onto the handlebar). Place them on top of the bar as you ride. It should be about the same as the above test.

This should tell you if you need alot of backsweep or very little. Should help get you pointed in the right direction.

Also, if your riding towards the outside of the bar or hanging off. You might consider a wider bar as well. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeDestroyer View Post
    I noticed that there aren't really a lot of options to bars when it comes to the sweep.
    Really, I have seen a lot of variations.

Do you want Zero backsweep or zero upsweep? or both?

Seems to me that 5deg backsweep is the lowest common available with zero upsweep.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by schristie11 View Post
    Really, I have seen a lot of variations.

What I found to be most popular was 9 degree backsweep 4 degree upsweep. then I found
    8 degree back 4 degree up, 5 degree back, 3 degree back. I couldn't find anything less than 3 degrees. If you have a good source for all the different sweeps I'd love to see it because what I ordered may or may not work, but it's a starting point.

mtbr member
    I looked on JensonUSA at handlebars and then looked for the words "flat".
    I clicked each of a dozen bars and about 50% of them were:
    Zero upsweep with 5 backsweep

If you need a link let me know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I looked on JensonUSA at handlebars and then looked for the words "flat".
    I clicked each of a dozen bars and about 50% of them were:
    Zero upsweep with 5 backsweep

If you need a link let me know.
    Thanks, I do have to admit that I didn't go to every site & every bar manufacture but I did spend a good portion of the day researching. I was looking for zero backsweep and couldn't find anything at the time so I ordered a 3 backsweep zero upsweep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeDestroyer View Post
    Thanks, I do have to admit that I didn't go to every site & every bar manufacture but I did spend a good portion of the day researching. I was looking for zero backsweep and couldn't find anything at the time so I ordered a 3 backsweep zero upsweep.
    You got better then I then, I could not get under 5 back sweep - you for down to 3.

Which model did you get at 3 back sweep?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You got better then I then, I could not get under 5 back sweep - you for down to 3.

Which model did you get at 3 back sweep?
    Pro Taper 685 XC/Trail flat bar

I like the Pro Tapers on my dirt bike so I figured they would be good for the mtn bike too.