Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Handlebar Selection - Help Requested

Hello. I'm in the market for a bar for a Niner SS I'm building up. I'd like it to be very light and still capable of dealing with 210 pounds of my abuse on a rigid fork. Carbon is what I'd like. Bling is fine. Ideas?

By the way, I'm a pretty new rider. I ride on the east coast, so nothing too crazy. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You might need to provide more details.
    What width are you looking for?
    What rise are you looking for?
    What price are you thinking of?

210 pound dude, want carbon, bling is fine. Enve is your best bet and fits your criteria and they sell in pretty wide formats as well as rise and flat, but also not the cheapest. A benefit of a wide bar is that you can always cut it down.

Myself. I like flat bars. I like 680mm wide bars. Any wider and I would have trouble with trees in my area.

At 210 I would stay away from exotic weight weenie brands and I would stay away from anything that isn't official product (e.g. fake ritchey bars on ebay).

Easton EC70 (what I use)
    Salsa Promoto carbon
    Niner Carbon (and RDO) to keep things matchy matchy
    Thomson also has a carbon bar now, but I haven't read too many reviews on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Also the EC70 bars look pretty trick with the subtle logos and the matte black

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    You might need to provide more details.
    What width are you looking for?
    What rise are you looking for?
    What price are you thinking of?

210 pound dude, want carbon, bling is fine. Enve is your best bet and fits your criteria and they sell in pretty wide formats as well as rise and flat, but also not the cheapest. A benefit of a wide bar is that you can always cut it down.

Myself. I like flat bars. I like 680mm wide bars. Any wider and I would have trouble with trees in my area.

At 210 I would stay away from exotic weight weenie brands and I would stay away from anything that isn't official product (e.g. fake ritchey bars on ebay).

Easton EC70 (what I use)
    Salsa Promoto carbon
    Niner Carbon (and RDO) to keep things matchy matchy
    Thomson also has a carbon bar now, but I haven't read too many reviews on it.
    Thanks for the responses so far. Some answers:

Width: probably as much as I can get away with to increase SS leverage on climbs.
    Rise: I prefer as flat as possible.
    Price: Not too concerned. I like to shop around and find it cheaper when I can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    One more question: Are stems uniform in their steer tube clamp diameter? I can't seem to find the answer, but I assume that they mostly are at this point, since it's never listed. These will be going on a Niner RDO fork. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    I've got an Answer PROTAPER CARBON 720 AM and I like it a lot. Comes in three different rises. Mine is the lowest 12.7mm. (") so almost flat. The bar is 720mm. wide. I've also got an Easton EC70(685mm.) on a second bike. I prefer the Protaper, partly because it's wider.

Yes, almost all modern handlebars have a 31.8mm. stem clamp area.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    I like the quality of Easton, and the design of Protaper. Either one is awesome.

You could not get me to put a carbon handlebar on anything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I've got an Answer PROTAPER CARBON 720 AM and I like it a lot. Comes in three different rises. Mine is the lowest 12.7mm. (") so almost flat. The bar is 720mm. wide. I've also got an Easton EC70(685mm.) on a second bike. I prefer the Protaper, partly because it's wider.

Yes, almost all modern handlebars have a 31.8mm. stem clamp area.
    Thanks for the info. I was talking about the steer tube on current forks. I can't figure out the steer tube diameter on the Niner RDO fork, so I assume that most forks are the same where the stem clamps to it. Not the handlebar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliphorn View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was talking about the steer tube on current forks. I can't figure out the steer tube diameter on the Niner RDO fork, so I assume that most forks are the same where the stem clamps to it. Not the handlebar.
    All (almost) steerer tubes are 1⅛" (both tapered and straight). There were some older forks that are 1" but were use on more freeride type bikes.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Good to know. Thanks. Those protaper look really nice.

Squareback, is your opinion based on experience? Did you have a break?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Race Face Next SL wide? 720mm width, 5mm rise. I've got them on my single speed and am pretty happy so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by randob300 View Post
    Okay, I'm going with these. One more down!

mtbr member
    Okay, I'm going with these. One more down!
    As I said I have those on a geared bike and I think they are s bit narrow. You did say they were for a single speed? You'd find the longer leverage useful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'd agree, 685mm is not wide at all, especially on a single speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Floor Tom View Post
    I'd agree, 685mm is not wide at all, especially on a single speed.
    Syntace Vector Carbon 10 Riser Bar 31 8 8 Deg 29 1 Carbon | eBay

I pulled a fast one. I did order the Eastons, but I'll use them on another bike. For this build I just snagged:

Syntace Vector Carbon 10 Riser Bar 31 8 8 Deg 29 1 Carbon | eBay

I've had good luck with Syntace carbon, and they're good and long, pretty flat, and mild sweep. Thanks again for your help, everyone!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Highly recommend Easton EC 70 bar. I love it, and I weigh about the same as you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The "flat wide" version. 685mm, 9deg sweep, light, stiff, durable, vibration reducing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have run both the Race Face Next SL and the Answer Protaper. Both are good. I switched to the Pro Taper to try a wider bar. I went with the 720's over the 685mm Race Face bar and shortened my stem to a 50 mm. Life changing the amount of leverage and better handeling now. Don't try anything less than a 720mm bar. You can always cut them down. Short stem + wide bars on a 29r = awesomeness!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Norwegian View Post
    I have run both the Race Face Next SL and the Answer Protaper. Both are good. I switched to the Pro Taper to try a wider bar. I went with the 720's over the 685mm Race Face bar and shortened my stem to a 50 mm. Life changing the amount of leverage and better handeling now. Don't try anything less than a 720mm bar. You can always cut them down. Short stem + wide bars on a 29r = awesomeness!
    Funny you mention that. I just ordered a 50mm stem yesterday!

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    I like the quality of Easton, and the design of Protaper. Either one is awesome.

Keep in mind, if you crash hard enough to damage a carbon bar, alloy bars aren't going to fare any better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post

Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Keep in mind, if you crash hard enough to damage a carbon bar, alloy bars aren't going to fare any better.
    I'm with squareback. Which is why I just ordered a Carver Prybar Ti. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe at Singlespeed-a-palooza a guy had his carbon bar snap right at the starting line of the race, resulting in him being knocked out. The bar breaking is what caused the crash- not the other way around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigreen99 View Post
    I'm with squareback. Which is why I just ordered a Carver Prybar Ti. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe at Singlespeed-a-palooza a guy had his carbon bar snap right at the starting line of the race, resulting in him being knocked out. The bar breaking is what caused the crash- not the other way around.
    So what caused the bar to break? You have no information on that. Maybe it was scored or scratched, incorrect installation, over torqued perhaps? I've had nothing but carbon handlebars since around 2000. In fact I still have my original carbon Easton Monkeylite and it's still perfect. I have crashed and damaged one or two over the years which I then replaced.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So what caused the bar to break? You have no information on that. Maybe it was scored or scratched, incorrect installation, over torqued perhaps? I've had nothing but carbon handlebars since around 2000. In fact I still have my original carbon Easton Monkeylite and it's still perfect. I have crashed and damaged one or two over the years which I then replaced.
    It sounds like the bar was either damaged prior to the incident or the strength applied to the bar overwhelmed its ability to cope. I wonder if an aluminum bar would've survived similar?

I can't help but to think the bar likely had a pre-existing defect. But who can be sure?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It sounds like the bar was either damaged prior to the incident or the strength applied to the bar overwhelmed its ability to cope. I wonder if an aluminum bar would've survived similar?

I can't help but to think the bar likely had a pre-existing defect. But who can be sure?
    As far as I know, he was just riding along. Whether or not it had pre-existing damage or it was improperly torqued, I don't know. It's not my intention to start a debate about the strength/durability of carbon. I know people who have broken aluminum and steel frame. However, I've seen or heard of a few broken carbon bars and seat posts break lately, but not other materials. I just don't really want carbon on my mtb- but I DO know plenty of people with carbon everything and have no problems. My road bike is carbon... but for mtb I'll stick with metal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast