Thread: Handle bars

Rogue Exterminator

Handle bars

Ok, I know this really isn't 29er specific but since there I didn't notice another forum for handlebars and my bike is a 29er, I figured fugget.

I get bad hand hand cramps to the point where if even a little girl shakes my hand especially after a ride, it can bring me to my knees. I also noticed a little stiffness in the wrists but think I may have fixed that issue with adjusting the brake and shift lever positions.

Well, when riding the other day, I realized the cramping issue has to do more with how I hold the bars. I could fix the issue with shorter bars but don't really want to give up the leverage. I also feel I could fix the issue with bars that slightly angle in a little.

Any suggestion on some good bars that angle in slightly?
    Any other suggestions other than bars?

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Ok, I know this really isn't 29er specific but since there I didn't notice another forum for handlebars and my bike is a 29er, I figured fugget.

I get bad hand hand cramps to the point where if even a little girl shakes my hand especially after a ride, it can bring me to my knees. I also noticed a little stiffness in the wrists but think I may have fixed that issue with adjusting the brake and shift lever positions.

Well, when riding the other day, I realized the cramping issue has to do more with how I hold the bars. I could fix the issue with shorter bars but don't really want to give up the leverage. I also feel I could fix the issue with bars that slightly angle in a little.

Any suggestion on some good bars that angle in slightly?
    Any other suggestions other than bars?
    What bar are you currently riding? A bar with more/less sweep could help. Bar width and reach may also have something to do with it, but the angle and height of the bars is probably the culprite in my opinion.
    I

mtbr member
    I had similar problems to what your experiencing along with pins and needles and other issues. I ended up buying some Easton Monkey Lite riser bars, ergo grips and good quality gel pad gloves. Ive since found that with the grips and new gloves combined with a bit more fitness I could drop the risers down and I'm not having these problems.

Good luck because I know how uncomfortable cramps can be. I still get chronic cramp in the quads after I've been riding hard for a few hours.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    What bar are you currently riding?
    Marin Bolinas Ridge

The bars are stock and the grips are Portland Design locking grips.

Thought about going with ergos but was advised against it because they hinder changing hand positioning.

I notice my problem probably comes from me not holding my hands straight on the grips.
    I have been trying to retrain myself with hand positioning but it just doesn't feel natural.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My hands were going numb after a couple of miles on my MTB with the stock Spec Epic bars. I swapped them out for a set of 3T Eryx carbon bars and some Oury lock on grips. The bigger OD of the grips helps out as do the sweep/rise of the bars.

mtbr member
    If you like the bars, try some ergonomic grips first, like Ergon or the Spec Contours (?).

If the problem still persists, gloves might help, or even bar ends for the added hand positions (even though they are not fashionable).

Otherwise, I have found that a bar with more backsweep works for me. Something like the Chromag OSX flat bar with 11 deg...

mtbr member
    I had wrist/finger pain when I first started riding my rigid 29er. It had a riser with Ergon cork grips. I went with Ergons to avoid hand problems, but they didn't work for me. I swapped the Ergons for some stardard lock-ons, and my hands were much happier.

I recently swapped the riser for a wider On-One Fleegle, a flat bar with 15 deg sweep. I'm still playing around with the bar height and stems, but so far so good.

Dave
    Blog / Strava

Rogue Exterminator
    I think that is exactly what I am looking for.
    Thanks, I will check them out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I find consciously relaxing my grip, using a thicker grip, and purposefully keeping my wrists straight and not bent helps wrist/hand pain for me. That works pretty well using a variety of bars.

mtbr member
    I notice my problem probably comes from me not holding my hands straight on the grips.
    I have been trying to retrain myself with hand positioning but it just doesn't feel natural.
    You might look at some alt bars with greater sweep. My hands would never keep strait on grips either and it hurt my wrists to try and hold a standard 5-9 degree bar. I started with going to 11 degree sweep, then 17 degree sweep, before really making the plunge and going to an extreme sweep bar like the On One Mary Bar.

It works for some people and not for others. I currently run a Titec J-Bar that has a 45 degree sweep on my single speed and love the hand positions available on it. It really cuts down on pain and fatigue, and this is on a full rigid!
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Marin Bolinas Ridge
    The bars are stock and the grips are Portland Design locking grips.
    Thought about going with ergos but was advised against it because they hinder changing and positioning.
    I don't like Ergos for that reason myself. Do you have larger hands? I had to go to a larger diameter grip, which really helped.
    It has been a while since I researched it, but at the time ODI Rogue where the largest and helped a lot.

It can be a combo of both the grips and bars. The grips helped when I had my Felt, when I bought the Specialized the problem came back. I've read a lot of people don't like the stock Spec bars. Never keep it long enough to solve that.

The Easton risers on my Tallboy are comfortable for now. I would really like to try Carbon 720 Enduro 20/20 | Answer Products but the cost is prohibitive for an experiment.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Salsa's ProMoto bar has an 11deg sweep IIRC... Another option that might not be very expensive, as I've heard several people complain about "too much" sweep on their stock Salsas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    hi, hope you are fine now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Along with the bars and grips - take a look at the lever and shifter placement. If mine are rotated up too much it feels like it cuts the blood off to my hands and fingers...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Fortunately, I'm fine with a flat bar on my SS. I've also got a Mary bar that I've used with success, although it is important to angle it right (~20 degrees down for me), otherwise, I'd get numb hands.

I've got a JJ Loop bar on order to see how that will be on my rigid.

Also, grips are important. I've used ESI Chunkies with success.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have the same problem with wrist and hand pain. Thanks for the posts on increased sweep helping. I have some Syntace with 12 degree sweep on the way. Hopefully that will help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    fleegal bars and ergon grips solved my hand/wrist pain

the pic is feegal and sunline v-one carbon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Handle bars-img_4460.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Many people seem very happy with Groovy Cycles Luv Handle. I ordered a set a couple of weeks ago. I'll let you know how they turn out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Syntace Bars

Taking the new Syntace bars for a ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Handle bars-bike2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got out for a ride yesterday with the Syntace Vector bars. This was my first ride with carbon bars and I could really notice the lack of vibration on gravel roads. My hands and wrist were still pretty sore so it is still to be determined if that goes away. I liked the increased sweep and it seemed to put more of the pressure on the outside of my hands. My old bars were Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 with 8 degree sweep. I think the increase to 12 degrees along with the features of carbon are going to help. Otherwise, these seem to be sweet bars and look great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had similar pain and even after long rides, numbness and tingling

swapped bars out on my anthem x 29 to easton carbons and seems the better ergos/bend helped a bit but was when I went with ergons that it all changed - 700+ miles this season and never an issue since - I give most of that to the ergons frankly and I have ridden everything in CO from buff single to lots of chunk - 8 hr days in saddle to 1 hr up/downs