Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Handle Bar length

So I noticed that upon searching bar width and length no results came up! Hopefully this is the first thread! Anyways, my new Air nine RDO had the massive stock Niner carbon bars. I quite like them extra wide so far and was just curious to see what everyone runs their bar length at and for what discipline etc. (I would be using my RDO for XC racing BTW)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The wider the better! I remember years ago, a 680mm bar was as wide as they came. Manufacturers are starting to catch on finally. I though 680mm was the $heeet years ago. Then found some 700mm carbons, even better! Then found some 720's...wow. Wide bars and short stems on 29ers are great.

I like to support my local shops, and once I come across something wider I'll probably try those too. All ive seen lately are the havocs, a little too heavy duty for my weight wheenie needs. The only downside I see is on narrow trails.

B.Ike
    ^^dude, do you know how many people L.A. has sued?
    780 on my ss
    750 on trail bike
    750 on xc bike

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    The wider the better! I remember years ago, a 680mm bar was as wide as they came. Manufacturers are starting to catch on finally. I though 680mm was the $heeet years ago. Then found some 700mm carbons, even better! Then found some 720's...wow. Wide bars and short stems on 29ers are great.

I like to support my local shops, and once I come across something wider I'll probably try those too. All ive seen lately are the havocs, a little too heavy duty for my weight wheenie needs. The only downside I see is on narrow trails.
    I guess that means you'll be trying the new 1000mm wide bars (from Ritchey/Syncros)....?

Ritchey / Syncros: 1000mm Bars (!), FRIC Stem, and Carbon 29er Fork | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

syncros_2

meatier showers

L.o.l!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I guess that means you'll be trying the new 1000mm wide bars...
    Right... at over 39", approved for lunar use only! Not safe if any trees around.

Sheesh. And I thought my bars (780mm, 760mm, 760mm) were considered wide.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Armstrong View Post
    So I noticed that upon searching bar width and length no results came up! Hopefully this is the first thread!
    It's far from the first thread, I'm afraid, but I suspect that the search results are still suffering from the forum upgrade. "Width" is what you're looking for.

I used to think (~2006-2007 or so) that my Niner Flat Top 9 bar was wide enough that it looked silly, but it felt so good on the trails that I never cut it down. Then after I bought a FS bike I moved on to Chromag OSX Fubars. I have two now, one on each bike. One is 760mm and the other is 780mm. I prefer the 760, but not by enough of a margin that I'm bothered to cut the other. 760mm is pretty perfect for me.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member

Handle Bar length

I like the width of my niner flat top carbons. Funny that I used to think they were wide....

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wider is better...way better. A short stem and wider bars improve handling in all circumstances for me, although my bars are only 720mm, so a little narrow these days.

mtbr member
    I bumped up to 710 (Niner flat top) about 2.5 years ago and have slowly cut them down little by little over the years. For me I've found the sweet spot at 680. Wide enough to give me the control and leverage I need, but narrow enough to dart between the narrow tree passages we have all over the place here in New England. I frequently ride my MTB, road and 'Cross bike as well so the "narrower" bars make for a less drastic transition between disciplines.

Perpetual n00b
    The most important question no one has asked the OP is "Where are you riding?"

So many people roll in to the these stem/bar threads and make a generalization that everyone will be most comfortable and powerful with a 760mm bar on a 50mm stem regardless of bike geometry, rider size and ability, and location. Looking at the geo for that bike, it seems that the HTA may be a bit too steep for downhill bar and stem sizes. Best to stick close to the manufacturer's bar and stem spec, IMHO!
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Last edited by Revolution Bicycles; 02-05-2013 at 07:17 PM.

beater

Handle Bar length

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    The most important question no one has asked the OP is "Where are you riding?"

So many people roll in to the these stem/bar threads and make a generalization that everyone will be most comfortable and powerful with a 760mm bar on a 50mm stem regardless of bike geometry, rider size and ability, and location. Looking at the geo for that bike, it seems that the HTA may be a bit too steep for downhill bar and stem sizes. Best to stick close to the manufacturer's bar and stem spec, IMHO!
    True enough, but in this case he wasn't asking for advice. The OP wrote that he's pleased with what he has, and was curious what others are doing. That said, I admit that I only answered what my bar widths are, not how, where or on what they're used.

You're right that the style of bike and use is important. Both my bikes have cockpits set up for an upright, compact position. If I still had my EMD9 or a similar XC bike, I would probably have a 90mm stem, and might narrow my bar slightly. Manufacturer bar and stem spec is meaningless, though, since they're aiming for an average. I rode 21 bikes at last year's Outerbike and not one had a cockpit setup I would have kept for myself. Swapping cockpit components is not uncommon, which is why Rocky's BC Edition Element is spec'ed the way it is. As you were- that was the one bike I wouldn't have changed.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution Bicycles View Post
    Good article!

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    True enough, but in this case he wasn't asking for advice. The OP wrote that he's pleased with what he has, and was curious what others are doing. That said, I admit that I only answered what my bar widths are, not how, where or on what they're used.

You're right that the style of bike and use is important. Both my bikes have cockpits set up for an upright, compact position. If I still had my EMD9 or a similar XC bike, I would probably have a 90mm stem, and might narrow my bar slightly. Manufacturer bar and stem spec is meaningless, though, since they're aiming for an average. I rode 21 bikes at last year's Outerbike and not one had a cockpit setup I would have kept for myself. Swapping cockpit components is not uncommon, which is why Rocky's BC Edition Element is spec'ed the way it is. As you were- that was the one bike I wouldn't have changed.
    I agree they are aiming for an average. I am at the taller end of the spectrum for my medium frame MTB so my fit did require some adjustment. My stem stayed 100mm long but it dropped down to the head tube with no spacers and the bars went from 640mm to 660mm. I think they should have a field under our avatar that shows what type of MTBing we do and region we live in. I wonder how many people in Iowa or Wisconsin just getting started on MTB look on this site and others and think they need 750mm handlebars and 65 degree head angles to ride the mostly flat winding tree-laden single track of the Midwest?

hold my beer & watch this
    Jan 2007
    625mm wide with 90mm stem. Turns plenty quick, and clears those tight trees! Always felt I would hit something with longer bars.
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    -- Robert Heinlein --

beater

Handle Bar length

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    I think they should have a field under our avatar that shows what type of MTBing we do and region we live in.
    There is an optional location field in your profile- you can see it under my avatar. They turned it on last year based on comments and requests like that.

mtbr member
    My bars are 635mm and are a bit too wide. But, I ride alot of really really tight singletrack

Perpetual n00b

Re: Handle Bar length

There is an optional location field in your profile- you can see it under my avatar. They turned it on last year based on comments and requests like that.
    Yea I had it on but I think the forum upgrade turned it off again.
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 02-06-2013 at 09:08 AM.

meatier showers
    ...location field in your profile- you can see it under my avatar. ...
    Actually I can't. Is it just me?
    evasive, your "personal info channel" includes your name, your user title, join date, post count and rep power. That's it.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Actually I can't. Is it just me?
    evasive, your "personal info channel" includes your name, your user title, join date, post count and rep power. That's it.

--sParty
    Huh. You're right. I was in Tapatalk when I wrote that, and I was sure that I'd checked and remembered seeing "Helena, MT" still under my avatar after the VB update. Whoops. I guess I'll have a look and see if I can find the field in my profile, and if not, then another thing to report in the Site Issues thread. Thanks for catching that.

Edit- yup, "Helena, MT" is still in the Additional Information / Location field (as well as the required Registration / From field). The display must be turned off.

mtbr member
    Between 26-27" is what I prefer.

Name:  handlebars1.jpg
Views: 2374
Size:  48.5 KB

Perpetual n00b
    26-27" of rise? LOL

I started with <600mm and 120mm stems like any other MTBer back in the 90's. Went up all the way to 800mm the last 3 years. Now I'm on 680-710, which is my sweet spot.

mtbr member
    I race all around Ontario racing Ontario Cups and Canada Cups. I'm thinking dropping from the 710 stock width to 700 to help save a bit of time weaving around trees. Besides I run like 550-600 approx. on my singlespeed; oldschool style!

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Armstrong View Post
    I race all around Ontario racing Ontario Cups and Canada Cups. I'm thinking dropping from the 710 stock width to 700 to help save a bit of time weaving around trees. Besides I run like 550-600 approx. on my singlespeed; oldschool style!
    Canada? Huh... thot you were banned worldwide.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have 700 mm wide OE bars on my Carve and I HAVE to cut them down. I hit the handlebars so hard on a tree last Friday, that I swung around and slammed my shoulder into the darn tree. I thought for a moment that I broke my collar bone.

Wide bars would have worked great on SoCal trails with scrub on either side where I used to ride, but they're terrible in Mississippi pine forests.

My old 26er (is that a name like 29er?) had 550 mm Ritchey bars, so IMO, I have plenty of room to shrink down and still have more leverage than my old bike.

I'll take probably 25 mm (1") off each end, but I'm thinking I'll trim my ergon grips 1/2" or so, so I will barely move my levers and shifters and my usual hand position.

I run a 100 mm stem in the "up" (+14o) position to make it back-friendly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast