Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lance Armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    22

    Handle Bar length

    So I noticed that upon searching bar width and length no results came up! Hopefully this is the first thread! Anyways, my new Air nine RDO had the massive stock Niner carbon bars. I quite like them extra wide so far and was just curious to see what everyone runs their bar length at and for what discipline etc. (I would be using my RDO for XC racing BTW)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    629
    The wider the better! I remember years ago, a 680mm bar was as wide as they came. Manufacturers are starting to catch on finally. I though 680mm was the $heeet years ago. Then found some 700mm carbons, even better! Then found some 720's...wow. Wide bars and short stems on 29ers are great.

    I like to support my local shops, and once I come across something wider I'll probably try those too. All ive seen lately are the havocs, a little too heavy duty for my weight wheenie needs. The only downside I see is on narrow trails.

  3. #3
    B.Ike
    Reputation: ElwoodT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,062
    ^^dude, do you know how many people L.A. has sued?
    780 on my ss
    750 on trail bike
    750 on xc bike

  4. #4
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,485
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    The wider the better! I remember years ago, a 680mm bar was as wide as they came. Manufacturers are starting to catch on finally. I though 680mm was the $heeet years ago. Then found some 700mm carbons, even better! Then found some 720's...wow. Wide bars and short stems on 29ers are great.

    I like to support my local shops, and once I come across something wider I'll probably try those too. All ive seen lately are the havocs, a little too heavy duty for my weight wheenie needs. The only downside I see is on narrow trails.
    I guess that means you'll be trying the new 1000mm wide bars (from Ritchey/Syncros)....?

    Ritchey / Syncros: 1000mm Bars (!), FRIC Stem, and Carbon 29er Fork | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7166535@N05/8375115114/" title="syncros_2 by BBcamerata, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8186/8375115114_1c75b965b6_z.jpg" width="590" height="393" alt="syncros_2"></a>

  5. #5
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,335

    L.o.l!

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I guess that means you'll be trying the new 1000mm wide bars...
    Right... at over 39", approved for lunar use only! Not safe if any trees around.

    Sheesh. And I thought my bars (780mm, 760mm, 760mm) were considered wide.

    =S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  6. #6
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Armstrong View Post
    So I noticed that upon searching bar width and length no results came up! Hopefully this is the first thread!
    It's far from the first thread, I'm afraid, but I suspect that the search results are still suffering from the forum upgrade. "Width" is what you're looking for.

    I used to think (~2006-2007 or so) that my Niner Flat Top 9 bar was wide enough that it looked silly, but it felt so good on the trails that I never cut it down. Then after I bought a FS bike I moved on to Chromag OSX Fubars. I have two now, one on each bike. One is 760mm and the other is 780mm. I prefer the 760, but not by enough of a margin that I'm bothered to cut the other. 760mm is pretty perfect for me.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SlowPokePete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,569

    Handle Bar length

    I like the width of my niner flat top carbons. Funny that I used to think they were wide....

    SPP
    Rigid.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    702
    Wider is better...way better. A short stem and wider bars improve handling in all circumstances for me, although my bars are only 720mm, so a little narrow these days.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JSumner13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,566
    I bumped up to 710 (Niner flat top) about 2.5 years ago and have slowly cut them down little by little over the years. For me I've found the sweet spot at 680. Wide enough to give me the control and leverage I need, but narrow enough to dart between the narrow tree passages we have all over the place here in New England. I frequently ride my MTB, road and 'Cross bike as well so the "narrower" bars make for a less drastic transition between disciplines.

  10. #10
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,755
    The most important question no one has asked the OP is "Where are you riding?"

    So many people roll in to the these stem/bar threads and make a generalization that everyone will be most comfortable and powerful with a 760mm bar on a 50mm stem regardless of bike geometry, rider size and ability, and location. Looking at the geo for that bike, it seems that the HTA may be a bit too steep for downhill bar and stem sizes. Best to stick close to the manufacturer's bar and stem spec, IMHO!
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    35
    Last edited by Revolution Bicycles; 02-05-2013 at 07:17 PM.

  12. #12
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,642

    Handle Bar length

    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    The most important question no one has asked the OP is "Where are you riding?"

    So many people roll in to the these stem/bar threads and make a generalization that everyone will be most comfortable and powerful with a 760mm bar on a 50mm stem regardless of bike geometry, rider size and ability, and location. Looking at the geo for that bike, it seems that the HTA may be a bit too steep for downhill bar and stem sizes. Best to stick close to the manufacturer's bar and stem spec, IMHO!
    True enough, but in this case he wasn't asking for advice. The OP wrote that he's pleased with what he has, and was curious what others are doing. That said, I admit that I only answered what my bar widths are, not how, where or on what they're used.

    You're right that the style of bike and use is important. Both my bikes have cockpits set up for an upright, compact position. If I still had my EMD9 or a similar XC bike, I would probably have a 90mm stem, and might narrow my bar slightly. Manufacturer bar and stem spec is meaningless, though, since they're aiming for an average. I rode 21 bikes at last year's Outerbike and not one had a cockpit setup I would have kept for myself. Swapping cockpit components is not uncommon, which is why Rocky's BC Edition Element is spec'ed the way it is. As you were- that was the one bike I wouldn't have changed.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  13. #13
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution Bicycles View Post
    Good article!

    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    True enough, but in this case he wasn't asking for advice. The OP wrote that he's pleased with what he has, and was curious what others are doing. That said, I admit that I only answered what my bar widths are, not how, where or on what they're used.

    You're right that the style of bike and use is important. Both my bikes have cockpits set up for an upright, compact position. If I still had my EMD9 or a similar XC bike, I would probably have a 90mm stem, and might narrow my bar slightly. Manufacturer bar and stem spec is meaningless, though, since they're aiming for an average. I rode 21 bikes at last year's Outerbike and not one had a cockpit setup I would have kept for myself. Swapping cockpit components is not uncommon, which is why Rocky's BC Edition Element is spec'ed the way it is. As you were- that was the one bike I wouldn't have changed.
    I agree they are aiming for an average. I am at the taller end of the spectrum for my medium frame MTB so my fit did require some adjustment. My stem stayed 100mm long but it dropped down to the head tube with no spacers and the bars went from 640mm to 660mm. I think they should have a field under our avatar that shows what type of MTBing we do and region we live in. I wonder how many people in Iowa or Wisconsin just getting started on MTB look on this site and others and think they need 750mm handlebars and 65 degree head angles to ride the mostly flat winding tree-laden single track of the Midwest?
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

  14. #14
    hold my beer & watch this
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    135
    625mm wide with 90mm stem. Turns plenty quick, and clears those tight trees! Always felt I would hit something with longer bars.
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    -- Robert Heinlein --

  15. #15
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,642

    Handle Bar length

    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    I think they should have a field under our avatar that shows what type of MTBing we do and region we live in.
    There is an optional location field in your profile- you can see it under my avatar. They turned it on last year based on comments and requests like that.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wetpaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    310
    My bars are 635mm and are a bit too wide. But, I ride alot of really really tight singletrack

  17. #17
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,755

    Re: Handle Bar length

    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    There is an optional location field in your profile- you can see it under my avatar. They turned it on last year based on comments and requests like that.
    Yea I had it on but I think the forum upgrade turned it off again.
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 02-06-2013 at 09:08 AM.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

  18. #18
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,335
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    ...location field in your profile- you can see it under my avatar. ...
    Actually I can't. Is it just me?
    evasive, your "personal info channel" includes your name, your user title, join date, post count and rep power. That's it.

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  19. #19
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Actually I can't. Is it just me?
    evasive, your "personal info channel" includes your name, your user title, join date, post count and rep power. That's it.

    --sParty
    Huh. You're right. I was in Tapatalk when I wrote that, and I was sure that I'd checked and remembered seeing "Helena, MT" still under my avatar after the VB update. Whoops. I guess I'll have a look and see if I can find the field in my profile, and if not, then another thing to report in the Site Issues thread. Thanks for catching that.

    Edit- yup, "Helena, MT" is still in the Additional Information / Location field (as well as the required Registration / From field). The display must be turned off.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manpurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    399
    Between 26-27" is what I prefer.

    Name:  handlebars1.jpg
Views: 4292
Size:  48.5 KB

  21. #21
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,755
    26-27" of rise? LOL
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

  22. #22
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    947
    I started with <600mm and 120mm stems like any other MTBer back in the 90's. Went up all the way to 800mm the last 3 years. Now I'm on 680-710, which is my sweet spot.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lance Armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    22
    I race all around Ontario racing Ontario Cups and Canada Cups. I'm thinking dropping from the 710 stock width to 700 to help save a bit of time weaving around trees. Besides I run like 550-600 approx. on my singlespeed; oldschool style!

  24. #24
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Armstrong View Post
    I race all around Ontario racing Ontario Cups and Canada Cups. I'm thinking dropping from the 710 stock width to 700 to help save a bit of time weaving around trees. Besides I run like 550-600 approx. on my singlespeed; oldschool style!
    Canada? Huh... thot you were banned worldwide.

    =S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    347
    I have 700 mm wide OE bars on my Carve and I HAVE to cut them down. I hit the handlebars so hard on a tree last Friday, that I swung around and slammed my shoulder into the darn tree. I thought for a moment that I broke my collar bone.

    Wide bars would have worked great on SoCal trails with scrub on either side where I used to ride, but they're terrible in Mississippi pine forests.

    My old 26er (is that a name like 29er?) had 550 mm Ritchey bars, so IMO, I have plenty of room to shrink down and still have more leverage than my old bike.

    I'll take probably 25 mm (1") off each end, but I'm thinking I'll trim my ergon grips 1/2" or so, so I will barely move my levers and shifters and my usual hand position.

    I run a 100 mm stem in the "up" (+14o) position to make it back-friendly.

  26. #26
    B.Ike
    Reputation: ElwoodT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,062
    I'd try those 1000mm bars. I've really wide shoulders and not much narrow tree action here in sw NM. (I could always cut them down).
    I've recently discovered a comfortable cockpit, on a bike that was before too small, by going wider and keeping the stem the same (26er/750/100). I'm stoked on this bike as its loads more playful than if it were a size larger.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ASiameseCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    284
    762mm Sunline V-One flat bars with 75mm stem on mine. I do XC with the occasional race. I used to think the stock bars at 690mm with 90mm stem were too wide when I first got my bike. I saw the Sunline V-one bars come up on chainlove for $30 so I decided to try them out. I really liked them and won't be going with anything shorter than 762mm from now on !

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    I am running a Chromag OSX 780 and a 70mm stem. I am pleased with this setup.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Armstrong View Post
    I race all around Ontario racing Ontario Cups and Canada Cups. I'm thinking dropping from the 710 stock width to 700 to help save a bit of time weaving around trees. Besides I run like 550-600 approx. on my singlespeed; oldschool style!
    5mm off each end will make a difference weaving through the trees?
    13mm off each end, maybe.
    Just a thought.
    670 on narrow trails, still tight with some weaving.
    central TX, Pivot 429, average size.
    dirtaoist

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13
    685-711mm. Tree trouble lurks at every turn otherwise!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldZaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    603
    I feel like I've been living (riding) under a rock. My current bike has 580mm bars. My new bike (pick it up tomorrow) has 700mm bars and they felt HUGE. I was certain I'd cut them down. But all the reading I've done in the past few days changed my mind. Wide bars huh? What's next - wool been replaced with some space-age material?
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    90
    I built up a 20" Goblin and I'm about 5'11" with a 33" inseam, so I'm not having much issue with the standover height of the frame. However, I feel really leaned over on the bike and I have a fair amount of lower back pain after about an hour in the saddle. I also don't feel really comfortable standing and pedaling as I do seated. My stem is about 100mm and my bars are 685mm according to my measurements. I recently rode a friend's 2013 19" Rumblefish and was really impressed with the whole cockpit feel. I know the Goblin is meant to be more of an XC race bike and the Trek is supposed to be a trail bike, but I'd love to have the more comfortable, upright riding position with the wide bars. So, basically what I would like to ask is, would a cockpit feel similar to the Rumblefish be achievable on my Goblin? Or would the longer top tube and other geometry restraints prevent me from obtaining the shorter reach, wider bar, upright position feel that I would like to have? I'm just trying to figure out if it is even feasible before I drop $100+ on a shorter stem/wider bar combo.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Handle Bar length

    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    What's next - wool been replaced with some space-age material?
    This happened already and now we're back to wool again ... better keep those tiny bars too.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Handle Bar length

    Quote Originally Posted by p2rider426 View Post
    I built up a 20" Goblin and I'm about 5'11" with a 33" inseam, so I'm not having much issue with the standover height of the frame. However, I feel really leaned over on the bike and I have a fair amount of lower back pain after about an hour in the saddle. I also don't feel really comfortable standing and pedaling as I do seated. My stem is about 100mm and my bars are 685mm according to my measurements. I recently rode a friend's 2013 19" Rumblefish and was really impressed with the whole cockpit feel. I know the Goblin is meant to be more of an XC race bike and the Trek is supposed to be a trail bike, but I'd love to have the more comfortable, upright riding position with the wide bars. So, basically what I would like to ask is, would a cockpit feel similar to the Rumblefish be achievable on my Goblin? Or would the longer top tube and other geometry restraints prevent me from obtaining the shorter reach, wider bar, upright position feel that I would like to have? I'm just trying to figure out if it is even feasible before I drop $100+ on a shorter stem/wider bar combo.
    Grab some cheap bars and stem and give it a try, you should be able to get everything for less than $50 for good AL stuff. I have 70mm and 80mm stems and 700+ bars on my bikes and I can comfortably stand for very long periods of time and mash.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    30
    Been looking through into upgrading my bars on my new F29 and noticed that alot of the carbon bars are 580mm, for example Ritchey WCS, Truvative T40. Now i have been using 580 WCS on my 26er, but from what i understand 29er's benefit from a little width due to larger wheels and momentum etc.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Skoezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    57
    Swapped a 600mm flatbar with a 685mm riser and loved it. After a few months it started feeling to wide, so narrowed it down to 640mm.

    Back in love with it untill...?

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    331
    Tried a 710 mm bar with a 60 mm stem on my rigid Karate Monkey. Steering was much too slow for me - so I went back to my 100 mm stem and 660 mm riser with an ergonomical 16º bend. Fits perfect even between the trees

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Handle Bar length

    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    Tried a 710 mm bar with a 60 mm stem on my rigid Karate Monkey. Steering was much too slow for me - so I went back to my 100 mm stem and 660 mm riser with an ergonomical 16º bend. Fits perfect even between the trees
    My Monkey is 720/80 and feels great. But, I'm really used to 700 range bars.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,362
    I just ordered some 3T carbon bars that are 740mm for my SS. I hope I like them!

  40. #40
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,678
    Running 720s...love them. Lots of thread on here about this.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •