mtbr member

Hammerschmidt on PBJ (or Lunchbox)

Can anyone provide me with instructions (and maybe some pictures) on how to fit a Hammerschmidt AM on a PBJ or Lunchbox?

I've seen it done on a couple PBJ's, I just don't know exactly how they got it to fit (what size BB, spacers, etc.)...I do have the ISCG tabs.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Most Lenz bikes will have issues with clearance of the mounting plate and will need to be ground/filed down to clear the chainstay/swingarm. I don't know if you can accomplish this with spacers alone. You might be better off just going 1x10 with a sram crank and a 28T bling ring up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Most Lenz bikes will have issues with clearance of the mounting plate and will need to be ground/filed down to clear the chainstay/swingarm. I don't know if you can accomplish this with spacers alone. You might be better off just going 1x10 with a sram crank and a 28T bling ring up front.
    Fatcat was able to get a FR version mounted with spacers on his PBJ, he sent me some pics.

I'm not sure if there are any differences between the FR and AM version such that one might fit better than the other.

The Lunchbox frame is older...ideally I'd like to get the Hammerschmidt on it...but I'm going with a SLX M665 22/36/Bash crank. I'd like to run a 28t on the Lunchbox but I'm just too heavy (really need the 22t for climbing).

After using the Hammerschmidt, I don't care all that much for front derailleurs...

I need to measure the two frames to see how they are different.

Now that you mention it, I recall asking Mike Levy how he got a Hammerschmidt on his Remedy when Trek said it wouldn't fit...he removed some material off of the backplate.
    Last edited by jbsocal; 02-03-2013 at 12:15 AM.