Abby Normal

Halo Vapour 29er rims initial impressions

I had some Surly New model hubs laying around and decided to build another SS wheelset for my KM. I'm a fairly big guy (190lbs) riding rigid so I was looking for a wide, reasonably light rim that was tubeless ready.

I decided to try the Halo Vapour 29er rims. At 26mm wide and 460g weight these seem to fit in between a Stan's Arch EX and WTB Frequency i23 in terms of weight and internal width. Price-wise they are on par with the WTB (fairly inexpensive).

I built them up with DT Comp spokes and alloy nipples. On a Park scale the front wheel was 900g, rear 980g (sans tape, valves, skewers). Not super light, but to be expected with the Surly hubs.

Halo Vapour 29er rims initial impressions-halo_surly_ss_set.jpg

I set them up tubeless using 1" Gorilla tape and Stan's valves, with an Ardent 2.4" up front and a Slant Six 2.2" rear. Currently running about 21psi front, 27psi rear. They have been absolutely solid after two rides, no leaks or burping.

Halo Vapour 29er rims initial impressions-carbonmonkey_newhoops1.jpg

Anyway, so far so good. The wheels feel nice and stiff, and they look pretty good with the Surly hubs. I like to run fairly low tire pressures so we'll see how well they hold up over the summer (our local trails tend to be fairly rocky). But at this point I would say these rims are definitely worth a look. They make a complete wheelset with their own hubs which look interesting (and the price is nice).
    Last edited by Holmes; 06-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.