bikerbert

Grip Shift or Triggers? What are you running?

Triggers right now but going back to the twisters! Always liked those better and can't wait to put the new ones on!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have the grip shift and the old Shimano integrated shift levers on my bikes. I've never really liked the trigger shifters. I always felt like I had to reach too far when I needed to make a quick shift in rocky sections. Maybe I just never had them set up correctly, but I found it a lot easier with the grip shift to set up to my liking.

AZ
    banned
    Grip Shift exclusively. I absolutely detest trigger shifters.

mtbr member
    I currently have the 2012 XT shifters and I like them, but I rode for years on a 575 with SRAM XO, including grip shifters and believe it really is a better system. Lighter, cheaper (until the new generation of SRAM twist grips that are just too damn expensive!) and you can tweak the front to really enhance the function of a triple up front.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbert View Post
    Triggers right now but going back to the twisters! Always liked those better and can't wait to put the new ones on!
    Dual Control!!

I'm bummed they discontinued these things. No 10 speed upgrade!

mtbr member
    Used SRAM, but switched to XTR trigger shifters and love them. Precise shifting and bi-direction on the lower or "finger" shifter was a game changer for me.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Gotta try some grips.I like to try to get used to everything on my bikes.Gives me more choices...and changes.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Trail Ninja
    pimpbot, what is that? Without relying on google, that looks like STI for mtb (where you flick the brake lever on another axis). Is that your personal preference on lever angle on all mtb style setups, or just one that works better with dual control?

I use triggers on all my bikes. I've used gripshift when test riding my brother's bike back in the 90s and there was always a little interest in it, but I never really fell in love with it, due its looks, choosing grips, general ergonomics and feel/comfort, and just simply how my natural habit was to reposition my hand on the grips after each shift, needing to loosen my grip for a split second. Sometimes it doesn't play well with short brake levers that are designed with 1 finger braking in mind either. If I had a hub that could run XX1, I would've considered the gripshift version, but in the end, I think I just simply would've defaulted my choice triggers as they just feel more natural to me. Think my interest is just looking for alternatives and retro stuff, looking more for any difference, than a truly better product.

I like the feel of high end SRAM trigger paddles, but I like the dual-control and multi-release action and cable routing of Shimano shifters. I kind of miss gear indicators for some reason. I've ping ponged from Shimano to SRAM back to Shimano, liking Shimano's offerings in the end, but getting pulled into SRAM's high end and innovative stuff.

mtbr member
    Trigger. Recently tried grip, and was eager to go back to trigger after the first few rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Went trigger on my XX1 and can't complain. All nice shifters are nice shifters and then there's personal preference.

dirtbag
    GS rules the roost in my garage. I do like the new XT shifters and X0 (X0 GS wasn't available when I built my RIP).
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    XTR 2x10 triggers on the old bike. XX1 1x11 triggers on the new. I miss the opposable on the XTR but the 1x11 is tight.

b a n n e d
    I use trigger shifters on my MTB, but in the past I've used GS on commuter bikes and they were fine. The part I don't like about GS is the need to move my entire hand to shift, thus leading to a moment of reduced control, which in the dirt, can be the difference between cleaning something and face planting.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Always used triggers, Shimano or SRAM, never thought a grip shift was a good idea.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just put XO grip shift on this year, with XT brakes and couldn't be happier. No more accidental shifts and changing multiple gears is a definite bonus.
    2014 STUMPJUMPER FSR COMP
    1998 KLEIN QUANTUM RACE

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NTIMD8 View Post
    I just put XO grip shift on this year, with XT brakes and couldn't be happier. No more accidental shifts and changing multiple gears is a definite bonus.
    How can you shift accidentaly with thumb shifters?
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    How can you shift accidentaly with thumb shifters?
    Due to the way I held the grips, when going up hill all it took was a little tap and I was in the wrong gear. Mostly operator error.
    2014 STUMPJUMPER FSR COMP
    1998 KLEIN QUANTUM RACE

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    XTR trigger shifters for me. With one long push, You can literally go from the smallest to biggest rear cog just as quick as grip shift. The opposite requires a couple pushes..but not a big deal for me. If I had a SRAM rear mech, I'd probably go grip shift because I hate their trigger shifters....but the shimano stuff works flawless for me and don't wanna mess with perfection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Grip Shift or Triggers? What are you running?

I've run gripshift on my XC bikes for a long time and love the almost telepathic feel of using them,especially since one shifts so much when racing.

Then I bought a stumpjumper trail bike which came with thumb shifters and really thin grips. I didn't really like the thin grips at first and thumb shifting felt clunky. So when I upgraded to XX1 I got gripshift again. Now I've realized a few things - first, I actually prefer the narrow grips, and with gripshift I don't really have the option to run something so narrow. And second, on the trail bike speedy and frequent shifts aren't really required that often, so that advantage of the gripshift is lost. So now I'm thinking to get triggers again so I can run thin grips once more.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I use trigger shifters on my MTB, but in the past I've used GS on commuter bikes and they were fine. The part I don't like about GS is the need to move my entire hand to shift, thus leading to a moment of reduced control, which in the dirt, can be the difference between cleaning something and face planting.
    agree 100%

Trigger for me, never ever want to go back to grip shift

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    XTR trigger shifters for me. With one long push, You can literally go from the smallest to biggest rear cog just as quick as grip shift. The opposite requires a couple pushes..but not a big deal for me. If I had a SRAM rear mech, I'd probably go grip shift because I hate their trigger shifters....but the shimano stuff works flawless for me and don't wanna mess with perfection.
    You running a 3x5 or something?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have only ever run triggers. Stock X5 on my old bike and X0 on my new one. The X0 is worlds better as far as crisp shift performance goes.

mtbr member
    twisters on old bike , I never really cared for them , trigers on new bike , i like these much better , I feel I have better control on the bike since my hands dont need to move to shift
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    I prefer plain old trigger / thumb shifters. Nothing against gripshift, I have had it in the past.

Right now I run Paul Thumbies + Dura Ace barends. Plain old SIS shifters really.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.