Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    get down!
    Reputation: appleSSeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,138

    Good Specialized tire combo for my Satori build?

    I'd like to try some Specialized tires for my next build...recommend me a good combo!

    Looking for something meaty so what caught my eye was the Purgatory and Butcher control 29x3 tires. Is that a good combo? If so, what front, what back?

    I'm waiting on some WTB i23 rims to lace up with them, hoping they will be a good match together to run tubeless.

    Thanks in advance for your insight! Tires are so expensive it helps to hear from people who have ridden them.

    I ride in KC, MO and KS trails mostly...rocky, rooty and rocky to be sure.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

    visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

  2. #2
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,935
    Butcher front and purgatory rear or purgatory on both ends.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GrapeNutsRobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    117
    I ride a ground control 2.3 front and fasttrak 2.2 in the back. El Paso is all rocks and sand though, no roots.
    The Good Times are Killing me

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    86
    I went to a Specialized Demo day yesterday. Got to ride bikes with Butcher, Purgatory and Ground Control on them. And I've got a Captain Control on the back of my own bike.

    The Butcher up front is incredible. At the back I'd probably go with a Captain Control, but I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them at the back.

  5. #5
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,779
    Butcher front, control casing; Purgatory or Ground Control rear, grid/Ust casing.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,334
    I ride similar trails on the East Coast, I'm liking the Purgatory 2.3 up front with 2.1 Ground Control on the rear.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    615
    Renegade Control (rear)
    The Captain Control (front)

    for me.... notubes also.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,980
    I have not ridden the Butcher so my comments may be completely inaccurate. Looking at images of the tire, it has no intermediate knobs which concerns me. The tire is billed by Specialized as Freeride/DH and maybe this arrangement works for those riding styles. I personally don't know. The now discontinued Eskar was like this and I believe was not very successful. I tried them and didn't like the feel. There were a lot of comments about the lack of transition knobs. If there are people using the Butcher Control for trail riding I'd be interested to hear their comments.

    For the past two years I've had Purgatory Controls both back and front and I think they are great. Lots of grip and reasonable rolling resistance. On one bike I have a Ground Control 2.1 on the back due to limited space and it works very well. I may try a Ground Control 2.3 next as a back tire.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  9. #9
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,044

    Yep...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I have not ridden the Butcher so my comments may be completely inaccurate. Looking at images of the tire, it has no intermediate knobs which concerns me. The tire is billed by Specialized as Freeride/DH and maybe this arrangement works for those riding styles. I personally don't know. The now discontinued Eskar was like this and I believe was not very successful. I tried them and didn't like the feel. There were a lot of comments about the lack of transition knobs. If there are people using the Butcher Control for trail riding I'd be interested to hear their comments.

    For the past two years I've had Purgatory Controls both back and front and I think they are great. Lots of grip and reasonable rolling resistance. On one bike I have a Ground Control 2.1 on the back due to limited space and it works very well. I may try a Ground Control 2.3 next as a back tire.
    Go with a Purgatory Control front and back. They are a very good all around trail tire.

    On longer travel bikes I no longer buy into the idea of fatty up front, skinny rear. Unlike xc bike type riding where a lot of weight is hunched over the front of the bike, long travel bike riding puts your weight farther back. More steering from the hips. More weight on the back of the bike, so you need as much, if not more tire out back. You might not need as grippy a tire, but I think you need just as much meat on the tire out back, if not more, than the front.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Go with a Purgatory Control front and back. They are a very good all around trail tire.

    On longer travel bikes I no longer buy into the idea of fatty up front, skinny rear. Unlike xc bike type riding where a lot of weight is hunched over the front of the bike, long travel bike riding puts your weight farther back. More steering from the hips. More weight on the back of the bike, so you need as much, if not more tire out back. You might not need as grippy a tire, but I think you need just as much meat on the tire out back, if not more, than the front.
    In fact I agree with you. I have always used the fattest tire I can fit into my frames. They roll better and grip better. I don't care about the extra weight. Since I've been riding 29" bikes I have preferred slack hardtails with short chainstays. Also, these 29" bikes have limited front derailleur space so sometimes there are problems fitting wider tires. I did say I had the 2.1 Ground Control because of limited space. A Purgatory 2.2 was buzzing the frame when cornering hard.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: masterofnone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,117
    Just out of curiosity are you hell bent on specialized tires? Not that there's anything wrong with that. I've been very happy with the ardents that came stock on my satori, they've seen just about every condition (except sand and snow) and so far they've been stellar in all of them.

  12. #12
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,927
    butcher up front
    gc in rear

    all day

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,316
    I have the following:

    Purg. S-Works 29x2.2 front and Ground Control 29x2.1 rear - great combo for loose/wet conditions
    Fast Trak S-Works 29x2.0 front and Renegade Control 29x1.95 rear - great combo for drier conditions
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    86
    Great review of all these tyres at 2013 Specialized 2.3" 29"er Tires: Quick Review

  15. #15
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,044

    Not to derail, but....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    In fact I agree with you. I have always used the fattest tire I can fit into my frames. They roll better and grip better. I don't care about the extra weight. Since I've been riding 29" bikes I have preferred slack hardtails with short chainstays. Also, these 29" bikes have limited front derailleur space so sometimes there are problems fitting wider tires. I did say I had the 2.1 Ground Control because of limited space. A Purgatory 2.2 was buzzing the frame when cornering hard.
    Along the same lines, I wanted a fatter rear on my 29er FSR Stumpy, but it would not fit. I tried the bike with a Flow EX 650b out back with a meaty, wide, 2.35" Nevegal, and the bike really came to life as an aggressive traillbike. Kept the front 2.2" Nevegal (favorite front tire for anything other than xc), and now, like a motocross bike, the front and rear end up pretty close to the same circumfence, but with more meat out back. The rear wheel and entire rear end is now stiffer and the bike can be ridden more "off the back" and steered with the hips. Gearing turns out to be better as well. I've kept this setup for quite some time and have no plans on going back.

  16. #16
    get down!
    Reputation: appleSSeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    Just out of curiosity are you hell bent on specialized tires? Not that there's anything wrong with that. I've been very happy with the ardents that came stock on my satori, they've seen just about every condition (except sand and snow) and so far they've been stellar in all of them.
    Just trying something different, Bikesource here is a huge Specialized dealer..while I love the Ardent 2.4, the Ikon EXO 2.2 on the rear got slashed and thrown in a parts bin for some reason yet to be determined. I have heard good things about the Specialized tires and they are always in stock at BS. Plus they make some chunky monkeys and I want some fatty tires!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

    visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by midbunchlurker View Post
    Great review of all these tyres at 2013 Specialized 2.3" 29"er Tires: Quick Review
    from the review, saying 2bliss = UST isn't quite correct

    specialized makes UST-specific bead tubeless tires in addition to 2Bliss ready (regular bead shape with an extra layer of butyl rubber)

    ie Ground Control Grid UST has a different bead shape than Ground Control

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,980
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    from the review, saying 2bliss = UST isn't quite correct

    specialized makes UST-specific bead tubeless tires in addition to 2Bliss ready (regular bead shape with an extra layer of butyl rubber)

    ie Ground Control Grid UST has a different bead shape than Ground Control
    Actually there is essentially no difference between a UST bead and a 2Bliss bead. 2Bliss has a tubeless bead shape. The difference is in the casing. UST has an airtight casing whereas 2Bliss, TLR, TNT etc. have regular casing requiring sealant to make them airtight.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  19. #19
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,634
    I've got S-Works GC 2.1 F/R. Great for sand, hardpack, loose over hardpack, hardpack with rocks.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tailwaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    838
    I have a set of S-Works Fast tracs I'll sell. They have one ride on them which was 16 miles. Would take $90 for the pair and ship. I'll need to double check but beleive they are 2.1 (29) I paid $130 for the pair and they are for the most part brand new.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    40
    I am in Kansas city also and I'm riding a bandit29. I love specialized tires and have been running fast trak front and back and digging it. On previous 26er bikes I always ran purgatorys or ground control but I have found those tires to be overkill for my 29. The fast traks grip really well. I'm running 24psi in the 2.0" version and it is sick. Fastest tire I have ridden and grippy enough if you lean the bike correctly. Wish they made 2.2" in the grid casing. I've also been looking at the panaracer driver pro. That looks like a pretty perfect tire for the trails here.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    615
    I'm the KCMO area a lot.... too bad the local spec dealers don't do much demos... have to use the Trek store in independence

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •