Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good Single Track Flat Pedals

I had my LBS put a set of crap pedals on so I could get a few rides on my new bike, they already feel bent (plastic) so I want to get a decent lightweight pedal with good grip.
    I did allot of searching here but most types of riding were not talking about single track which is what I do 99% of the time.

Looking for platform style pedals and would like them to weigh 500g or less. Not going clipless at this time, so please consider that when sharing your experiences/recommendations.

I read allot about thinner pedals and wondered if anyone could elaborate on the pro's and con's between the fatter pedals vs thinner pedals other than weight.

Thanks!
    2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Re: Good Single Track Flat Pedals

Wellgo MG-1. Very light, available in different colors, serviceable but also inexpensive. The bodies are magnesium, though, so the will scrape up a bit. Something like 380g/pair but you can get the titanium spindle version and then, I think they're around 290 grams.

mtbr member
    Do you need a lot of clearance in your area related to pedal strike? This is the main difference in the current offerings for platforms. Thinner (height of the pedal material) with a good angle on the leading edge helps reduce the risk of pedals hitting things below you and if they do hit, if the leading edge has a nice profile they deflect better rather than getting hung up.

Lots of options in the area you are asking about but I would be inclined to get the thinnest pedals with the best leading edge profile to gain clearance.

Canfield Bros Crampon, Azonic Flat Iron, Deity and a lot of other manufacturers are build quality pedals. They are all in the $150 range. What I like about the canfield bro.'s is that they sell service parts for bearings etc. which ARE a wear item on a pedal, so you can keep the platform and simply service them if necessary.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I went back to flats after years on clipless. I tried Shimano Saints and on the first ride they felt like they wanted to roll under my feet. Took them off after that ride.
    Found a good deal on some Canfields so I bought them, never had that feeling with them.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Crash Dummy In Training
    If you keep an eye on Chain Love dot com they post Azonic's for like 50% off IIRC.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I got some Wellgo B-1-something, IO don't think they are Mag bodied. They look really nice, and their weight is under 400 grams, I think it was listed as 362 for the pair. And they were CHEAP in comparison to other flats. For flats, I like 'em just fine, but I wouldn't want to use flats exclusively for long 29er trail rides. I'm just too used to my cheapo CB Eggs. On long rides, I need all the help I can get.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Name:  Azonic flatiron.png
Views: 1196
Size:  57.8 KB
    These are Azonic Flatirons. They come with stubby pins like in the bottom picture for use with trailrunners and longer sharp pins for 5.10s.
    Thin pedals means less strikes.

mtbr member
    I was a flat pedal whore til I bought the Crampon Ultimates. Aside from a bit of maintenance every few months, they have been problem-free. They have somewhat of a smaller platform than some, and they're super thin. They never roll over, and the pins are placed perfectly.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

Re: Good Single Track Flat Pedals

I've been using the Spank Spike pedals for 2 seasons now. No maintenance and still as good as the day I got them. The orange ano finish hasn't faded either other than from some shoe rub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just started using Spank Spikes and really like them so far. I still have my Straitline Defacto pedals but I like the Spanks a little more.

Always in the wrong gear
    I've had my Canfield Crampons for a little over a year. I have had practically no pedal strikes since putting them on and I run 175mm cranks on my SS 29er.

mtbr member
    Aside from less pedal strikes thin pedals also get your foot closer to the spindle- more efficient and better ergonomically.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I've been using the Spank Spike pedals for 2 seasons now. No maintenance and still as good as the day I got them. The orange ano finish hasn't faded either other than from some shoe rub.
    I use the same. Love them
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    +1 on Spank Spikes. Wide, thin and it don't give a f*ck on rock strike =awesome bike control!

mtbr member

My 2 cents on the Spikes - great looking pedal, thin, but stout, spins super smooth. The pins, however, aren't as grippy as the Crampons. I rode the Spanks for about 2 months (after my bike with Crampons was stolen) and tenderized my shins repeatedly. It got better the more I learned that I couldn't treat then like the crampons, but I swapped them out as soon as I got my Crampons back. With my 510 Freeriders, the Canfields were far superior for me.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    I use Performance Converts, 470gm/pair and a fairly thin profile with a bit of concave which I like plus a good amount of pins, with nice placement. Have these on both my rigid SS 29er and RIP9 and use with 510s, usually get them for $50 or so depending on sale.

Name:  50-0535-BLK-ANGLE.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  27.2 KB

human dehumidifier
    I use both MG-1s and Canfields. Keep in mind you don't have to be in a crash to cut yourself to shreds on flat pedals with threaded pins. All it takes is to bump into them accidentally and you're bleeding if they hit skin.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Diety compounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nukeproof Electron 340g, very light, very strong and thin pedals.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the helpful feedback everyone, also thanks for the additional information regarding the flat pedals!

I couldn't find much information on Cannondale pedals so I am guessing they are made by another company?

Otherwise I have a rundown that looks like this:

Recommended pedals between $40-$70
    Nukeproof Electron
    Wellgo MG-1
    Deity Compounds
    Performance Converts
    Wellgo Platform B124 or B143

Recommended pedals between $110-$160
    Spank Spike Pedals
    Canfield Bros Crampon Ultimates
    Azonic Flat Iron

Based on all the great recommendations from everyone I am leaning towards either the Wellgo MG-1 based on price and good reviews or the Spank Spike Pedals based on performance and I found a set on sale for $110

Really appreciate everyone taking the time to share your experiences and feedback!

John
    2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I use both MG-1s and Canfields. Keep in mind you don't have to be in a crash to cut yourself to shreds on flat pedals with threaded pins. All it takes is to bump into them accidentally and you're bleeding if they hit skin.
    I get more cuts walking my bike from my house to my car than on the trail...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I love my Spikes, but my foot does bounce off of them from time to time (five ten freeriders). I want the Crampons but couldnt justify the extra 50 bones, I'm reconsidering....

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Sprocking Crail View Post
    I love my Spikes, but my foot does bounce off of them from time to time (five ten freeriders). I want the Crampons but couldnt justify the extra 50 bones, I'm reconsidering....
    I've come to terms with who I am when it comes to bike parts. Within $100 or so, if there's something better, I'll eventually wind up buying it. The question was always how many inferior versions of said item will I waste my money on before buying the real deal. Luckily, the market for lightly used bike parts is quite healthy.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I've come to terms with who I am when it comes to bike parts. Within $100 or so, if there's something better, I'll eventually wind up buying it. The question was always how many inferior versions of said item will I waste my money on before buying the real deal. Luckily, the market for lightly used bike parts is quite healthy.
    Damn you, I think you just forced me to sell my brand new Spank's and get the Crampons. I'll give my wife your number...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Sprocking Crail View Post
    I'll give my wife your number...
    Damn, that's generous. There are other ways to thank a brotha.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast