mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Good reliable PF30 BB to Shimano hollowtech solution?

Need some BB advice here. I'm currently running SRAM PF30 with Wheelsmith adapters and the SRAM bearings are already spent in less than 6 months . What combination (pf30 - 24mm) are you folks running and are they lasting? Looks like King, Enduro, Wheelsmith and Parlee all have interesting options. The enduro 24mm adapters have seals on both the bearing and spindle interfaces to keep out moisture.

Bruce

Deere Rider
    If I'm understanding what you are looking for, Praxis Works has a conversion BB that looks to be hands down the best option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Re: Good reliable PF30 BB to Shimano hollowtech solution?

I had good luck with the parlee adapters.

mtbr member
    I'm using the Chris King adapter with a Chris King PF30 on my SS and so far so good.

mtbr member
    Why not just use the SRAM PF30 adapter to a standard BB?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    That's what I'm running on my Raijin SS with XTR960 cranks and King BB.

I was a bit skeptical but it has been trouble free and has never made a sound.

SPP
    Rigid.

turtles make me hot
    My wife's Spearfish has the Praxxis bottom bracket. It works perfect.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

mtbr member
    The Praxis is bomb proof.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    If I'm understanding what you are looking for, Praxis Works has a conversion BB that looks to be hands down the best option.
    That's really impessive.

mtbr member
    I bought my Raijin used with a e13 crankset installed, but the bearings were a bit rough and my preference was to use my modded XTR960 crankset with HBC Ti ring. Already have a threaded King BB.

So I thought about options...

Use the e13 cranks but need to replace the bearings.

Or spend the $$ on a King PF30 BB.

But now I am not using my XTR's.

Get the Praxis and use the XTR's, but now I'm not using the King BB I already have.

Use the adaptor, which is cheap, but fearful of slipping / creaking / who knows what from the stress put on a single speed drivetrain.

LBS and trusted owner / friend/ mechanic Lou at Briarcliff Bike Works recommends giving the adaptor a try and seeing how it goes, and honestly I have had no problems in the few hundred miles I have put on it since I got it.

I guess if I didn't have my XTR setup and King BB already and had to start from scratch I would've gone a different route, but based on what I already had, I am happy to say it worked out well.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Buddy run this as well..inexpensive and seems to work just fine.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Buddy run this as well..inexpensive and seems to work just fine.
    I have had one in my Spearfish for a few months now and I haven't had any problems with it. I kind of thought about it like a patch and not a long term solution. But the guys at the shop talked me in to it and I will keep it for a long time. Its also going to be alot cheaper to replace when it needs it then buying a new BB.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm leaning toward either unified design of the Praxis BB or the perhaps the SRAM PF30-xtype adapters. Having the bearings sit wide and external seems to be a better/stronger solution than having them internal and narrowly spaced with the adapters running outboard.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by radred View Post
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm leaning toward either unified design of the Praxis BB or the perhaps the SRAM PF30-xtype adapters. Having the bearings sit wide and external seems to be a better/stronger solution than having them internal and narrowly spaced with the adapters running outboard.
    Yep, and some might say that BB30 is a solution in search of a problem.

mtbr member
    Preference here is standard threaded for sure ....

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I started with the Wheelsmith adapters but ditched them after the BB gave up at the first sight of water. I tried the Truvativ threaded adapters next and those lasted a couple months before the adapters pulled out of the PF bore. After that, they'd only stay in for about one ride. I moved to the Praxis next and that thing is an ingenious work of art. Love it.

mtbr member

Solution in search of a problem that then creates actual problems requiring solutions like the praxis bb!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A SRAM PB30 to BSA adapter with Chris King external bearing BB kit was the best solution for the 2012 Niner Air9 RDO frame. I've been using this for about a month now with no problems or noise whatsoever. Long live the (chris) King. The Wheels Mfg PF30 looks good, but once installed, the bearing spacing was too wide for a Shimano crank. I checked with Praxis and their shell doesn't allow for an internally routed front derailleur cable which must run beneath the BB. The cable issue has been resolved with the newer Air9 RDO frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    A SRAM PB30 to BSA adapter with Chris King external bearing BB kit was the best solution for the 2012 Niner Air9 RDO frame. I've been using this for about a month now with no problems or noise whatsoever. Long live the (chris) King. The Wheels Mfg PF30 looks good, but once installed, the bearing spacing was too wide for a Shimano crank. I checked with Praxis and their shell doesn't allow for an internally routed front derailleur cable which must run beneath the BB. The cable issue has been resolved with the newer Air9 RDO frames.
    I have an updated Air9 RDO and used the praxis BB. Even with the new frame, it was a tight fit. The space at the bottom of the bb shell was just barely big enough for the front and rear cable housing. It would have been easier if I was running a 1x setup. The bend in the front derailleur housing is pretty sharp and I kept dislodging it and would have to get it back in place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    With the praxis adapter make sure you can press it through the whole bottom bracket. My niner had a screw and nut which went into the center of the bb. For my first frame I chiseled the epoxy off. Didn't want to do it again for the warranty frame so I'm using the sram adapter. BB got water in and had to be replaced. Accidentally pulled the adapter out and now theres a lot of creaking. The praxis adapter is really the best option. If your interested I'm looking to sell mine. Due to the niner frame I'm considering just buying a whole new crank.