mtbr member
    Oct 2012

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Nothing wrong with that crankset. Looks like they just took a 2x and replaced the large ring with a bashing. Wouldn't be my first choice, but it looks solid. If it were me id probably opt for the new XT 2x and add a larger ring and bashring. Ive only had experience with an older rf ride XC 3x9...it took a beating and still looks good...only complaint is the weight. This one looks like a similar design.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Jensonusa.com has those on sale for about 90 bucks right now

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Remember that 170mm cranks are for smaller riders and bikes. If it's on a good discount then it may be because it's a 170mm version whereas the 175mm would be the standard crank length.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Damnit....can you really notice 5mm? I really wanted the 32T option...I am 6'2 but only have a 30-31" inseam so hopefully the 170mm will be fine.

mtbr member
    Look @ jenson as stated above. 1/2 price and you can get 175mm length.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    Look @ jenson as stated above. 1/2 price and you can get 175mm length.
    I've already ordered...asking vendor for price match...doesnt look like same chainring and bash guard. the difference between 170 and 175mm is an 1/8" on each side...not thinking I will notice that..

Not sure if I would notice the difference between 32 and 34t but I was using 32t on my other bike and it was fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I bought a set on Ebay a couple of months ago on bid for $73 from Rocky Mountain. They are now around $144. I like them so far. I put a 34T on and have a 11-34 in back. Works great for the stuff I ride in Houston. I have about 400 miles on them and they are on my Niner Air Nine. I have 175mm and my inseam is 32.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a good crankset?-bike2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    I've already ordered...asking vendor for price match...doesnt look like same chainring and bash guard. the difference between 170 and 175mm is an 1/8" on each side...not thinking I will notice that..

Not sure if I would notice the difference between 32 and 34t but I was using 32t on my other bike and it was fine.
    I think getting the 170s is a mistake. Most riders use 175s, especially at your height. You will notice it.

You will also notice the difference between a 32 and 34 tooth chainring.

Order the 175 for less money from jenson, return the 170s and eat the shipping charge, and get what you want for the better price.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    I think getting the 170s is a mistake. Most riders use 175s, especially at your height. You will notice it.

You will also notice the difference between a 32 and 34 tooth chainring.

Order the 175 for less money from jenson, return the 170s and eat the shipping charge, and get what you want for the better price.

SPP
    Appreciate the push..doing it now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    They have 170mm and 175 in 32T...would it be better to build something piece by piece to get the 34t?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Problem solved....went with the non-bashguard 175mm 34t and picked up a white and blue bashguard....have green KCNC chainring bolts coming and want to highlight the green of my Soma Juice....also have a blue Atlas handlebar so will be a tough call...thanks again for the heads up.