mtbr member

New question here. good, cheap(er) pedals

Sorry to make a post on something that has been posted on so many times. i have read a lot of threads on this topic and none of them have been really aimed at what i am looking for.

Im trying to find a nice set of pedals for ~$60

Weights is not a big issue, more so grip. i would like something that can take a beating and has adjustable spikes.

deity Compound Pedals

i was looking at these, however they do not have many spikes and i dont know if they are just placed in the key places or if they skimped out on them to cut cost.

Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    I have a set of evo flats that have adjustable pins that were only $50 ish at my lbs. They've held up great for two full seasons so far despite multiple rock strikes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Riding bikes since 1976
    For that price, you have more choices then you might think.
    I wouldnt get those Diety pedals myself. Nylon construction and too few pins.

Pedals from Wellgo, DMR, Gusset, Xpedo, and others. Would be better choices.

Examples
    Universal Cycles -- DMR V-8 Mag Pedals
    Universal Cycles -- Gusset Slim Jim Sealed Bearing Pedals - Black
    Universal Cycles -- SunRingle ZuZu Pedals
    Universal Cycles -- VP Components VP-531 Pedals
    Universal Cycles -- Xpedo MX-6 Al/Cr Platform Pedals

Not pushing Universal, but I have purchased from them several times. Check Pricepoint, Jenson, and other sellers. Plenty of good pedals in your price range out there.

mtbr member
    Gusset Slim Jim lb Platform Pedals Black | eBay

how about that deal?! looks pretty good to me

edit: however i have found them on amazon for $33 and other websites around the $30 mark. maybe they are a bit too low end

Riding bikes since 1976
    Thats the average price you will find for that model of Slim Jims. They have loose ball bearings on that model, rather then sealed bearings like the higher priced model. They are still good pedals. You will just need to take a few minutes of cleaning them out, and repacking the bearings with grease once in a while.

I personally have a pair of the VP's(one level higher model then the link) that cost me $62.
    And a set of the DMR 8 Mags(model I linked). Which the grease injection port on those pedals, and the syringe that comes with the set, being the reasons why I got them.
    Last edited by Gear Head; 12-24-2013 at 10:39 PM.

mtbr member
    i found a set of Gusset Slim Jim SC, the next step up with the sealed bearings. they are $50 on ebay free shipping. i offered him $45 for them lol, see how that goes, if not ill just buy them at that price i think.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by skikarl View Post
    Sorry to make a post on something that has been posted on so many times. i have read a lot of threads on this topic and none of them have been really aimed at what i am looking for.

Im trying to find a nice set of pedals for ~$60

Weights is not a big issue, more so grip. i would like something that can take a beating and has adjustable spikes.

deity Compound Pedals

i was looking at these, however they do not have many spikes and i dont know if they are just placed in the key places or if they skimped out on them to cut cost.

Thanks everyone!
    If you're not interesting in clipless pedals, I actually like the Redline pedals that came with my Monocog29er back in the day. IIRC, the go for like $30 a pair. So, cheap, they have real ball bearings in them, and the cage is a good foot hugging design... basically a knock off of the Shimano DX BMX pedal from the 80s.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Wellgo MG-1's are light, well built, very grippy and can find them for about $50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    If you're not interesting in clipless pedals, I actually like the Redline pedals that came with my Monocog29er back in the day. IIRC, the go for like $30 a pair. So, cheap, they have real ball bearings in them, and the cage is a good foot hugging design... basically a knock off of the Shimano DX BMX pedal from the 80s.
    i probably should have stated in the OP that i was looking for flats. but yeah, not clipless. and could you link these redline pedals? i googled it but there are many different pedals that come up for many different prices

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Forte Converts... You can get them for about $50 or less.

mtbr member
    Gusset Slim Jim SC Platform Pedals Black | eBay

Got these, offered him $45 for them. free expedited shipping too! thank you all

also Reppin gear head!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skikarl View Post

I have a pair of these, but not from "Deity." They're the same plastic pedals being sold under several brands. They've been fabulous for me...

They're generally cheapest (and available in more colors) directly from the manufacturer via eBay as the HT PA12A.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
    I have a pair of these, but not from "Deity." They're the same plastic pedals being sold under several brands. They've been fabulous for me...

They're generally cheapest (and available in more colors) directly from the manufacturer via eBay as the HT PA12A.
    I have a pair of the Diety pedals, and they are excellent. Light weight, durable, thin, ergonomic, and inexpensive. I liked them enough to buy a second pair for my brother.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I cannot recommend these enough;
    Flat Pedals Moove Mtb

They are SOLID as all hell with two styles, and lots of colors. Free shipping in the US!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

good, cheap(er) pedals

Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Forte Converts... You can get them for about $50 or less.
    These are great. Nashbar so has a version that looks very similar for about $40 and is a little lighter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Can't go wrong with the Shimano Saint pedal. Excellent quality / great cartridge bearings @ $69.99 plus free shipping:

Shimano Saint PD MX80 MTB Downhill Flat Pedal Freeride Pedals New in Box | eBay

mtbr member

like he said...

good, cheap(er) pedals-dsc01481.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    Can't go wrong with the Shimano Saint pedal. Excellent quality / great cartridge bearings @ $69.99 plus free shipping:

Shimano Saint PD MX80 MTB Downhill Flat Pedal Freeride Pedals New in Box | eBay
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    I wanted to get the Saints so bad. But they were a bit pricy. Wish I would have found that posting sooner. I got a nice pair though. Gusset slim Jim SC's $45

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Riding bikes since 1976
    Glad you found some good pedals for cheap(er).
    Saints are nice. Wasent beating on the Deity Pedals, they have there place.

Write us a thread/chime in on one, about the Slim Jims.