mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Good 29er front tire options for racing?

I am looking for some feedback on a good 29er front tire that is lower weight but still has some grip for corners. I plan on using this tire for racing on a fast and fairly smooth course. The bike will be set up with a rigid front end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Maxxis Ignitor. Absolutely love the darned thing. Fast rolling and light. If you want something a little faster rolling look at the Aspen. I've found the Aspen has great high speed cornering when you turn the bike sideways and it can grab with its big ol' side knobs, but at slower speeds when the bike is more upright it doesn't turn as well.

Also, I'm sure you'll get a few people suggesting Racing Ralphs. Haven't tried them myself but they seem be be good tires if you don't mind the cost. I'm Maxxis partial though, 10 months of using them and not one puncture, flat, or, well, anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Schwalbe Furious Fred. 360g. 29x2.0, run it also on the rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I prefer the Rocket Ron. Have used both Aspen and Racing Ralph as well. Rocket Ron is super light, but has a little more bite. Still rolls fast.

Your Best Friend
    I'll second the Rocket Ron. Great light and fast tire with plenty of grip. If your course really is hardpacked, the Furious Fred would do well but that tire is worthless the moment you hit the brakes. The Maxxis Ignitor feels like it is rolling through molasses. Super slow. The Maxxis Aspen or Ikon would be better choices from that brand.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

MTB B'dos
    If you want something that's pretty light, but that also has some decent tread and rolls well inspiring confidence, Maxxis IKON. I'd looked at this tread a few times and in looking at the pics I thought this is way to racey a tyre, looks kinda like a SB8, probably sucks on anything but hardpack, the testimonials the pros using it are giving are paid BS, that's what I thought, then I got some to test and I have been absolutely blown away by them.

I am running them on my Prime, and as thought, they work fantastic on nice smooth dirt or gravel (gravel I was a bit hesitant about) the typical terrain you;d expect they'd work on, BUT, I'm also hitting up some really nasty steep, rocky, rooty, moss covered trails and they're that good I'm not even thinking about them when riding.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

AZ
    banned
    Depending on conditions I'll use anything from a Bonty XDX to a Rocket Ron. You might want to ask around locally to get a feel for what is working for people in you're area.

Big Boy
    Since you are riding rigid you may want some extra volume (I know I do!!)

Racing Ralph 2.4 for the front -- high volume, fast, light"ish"
    Conti Race King 2.2 for the rear -- high volume, fast, light "ish"
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Running an IKON 3C ex in 2.2 on the front of my rigid and it is pretty nice. very fast and generally grippy. they dont do especially well in loose over, or in loose stuff in general. they also dont shed mud very well. rather, they dont shed mud at all. it turns into a 500lb racing slick once you run it through a mud puddle. other than that though, 200-ish miles and a few races and its turned out to be decent. would be a better value if it werent $80, but if you dont mind the price, i think it'll perform for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Maxxis Ignitor. Absolutely love the darned thing. Fast rolling and light. If you want something a little faster rolling look at the Aspen. I've found the Aspen has great high speed cornering when you turn the bike sideways and it can grab with its big ol' side knobs, but at slower speeds when the bike is more upright it doesn't turn as well.

Also, I'm sure you'll get a few people suggesting Racing Ralphs. Haven't tried them myself but they seem be be good tires if you don't mind the cost. I'm Maxxis partial though, 10 months of using them and not one puncture, flat, or, well, anything.
    Another vote for the ignitor on the front. I think it's one of the best cornering tires I've used.

If you're looking for something racy in hard pack conditions I'd recommened the WTB nano raptor. The squarish profile lends it self to corner well despite not having 'knobs'. Besides, the nanoraptor was our first 29er tire!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If it was something that was smooth and fast I would opt for the Racing Ralph or Ikon. I have shredded a few Ralphs this year. This shouldn't be a problem on smooth terrain. I run the Ikon on the rear atm.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic. Same casing as the racing ralph, more aggressive tread, rolls really fast and has tons of grip not matter the conditions.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mutaullyassuredsuffering
    the nobby nic is one of the best gripping tires I have ever used. It is on my playbike. I feel that the rocket Ron is more suitable as a race tire though due to it's lower weight and rolling resistance.

I run Rocket Ron front, Racing Ralph rear, with great sucess.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Thread Resurrection:

I just started using a Racing Ralph in the rear. I was planning it for front and rear, but after how it behaved in the back (which I really liked as a rear tire), I know I won't care for it in the front.
    I've always run a large and grippy tire in the front (2.4 Trail King or Ardent) and I think I'll have to slowly work my way down to smaller and faster tires so I may just run a Nobby Nic 2.35 up there for race day. If they made a 2.35 RoRo I'd give that one a shot, but they don't. I was strongly considering the Maxxis Ikon but the review above by mayonayze doesn't sound like I'd care for it either...

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Love2bike1234 View Post
    I am looking for some feedback on a good 29er front tire that is lower weight but still has some grip for corners. I plan on using this tire for racing on a fast and fairly smooth course. The bike will be set up with a rigid front end.
    The new Maxxis Ikon 2.35 is your ticket for the front.

mtbr member
    I'd go with Specialized Fast Trak S works 2.2 or Racing Ralph EVO 2.25, since it's a rigid I'd normally recommend a 2.35 or 2.4 but you already stated it's a smooth course so 2.25 would do the trick.
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon