banned
    Jan 2012

Going Tubeless, how?

Right, Before the winter, I want to get my bike tubeless, What do I need and how do I it?

bike setup:
    Bontrager Race v-brake/disc 29er rims.
    WTB NanoRaptor rear
    WTB MotoRaptor front.

Do I need the Bontrager tubeless system?

holy schfincter..
    If you don't have the Bontrager tubeless ready rims, I would use Stans (notubes.com). IF they are tubeless ready, then just add sealant and seat the regular tires and go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerRider View Post
    IF they are tubeless ready, then just add sealant and seat the regular tires and go.
    Not true. You'll need the correct rimstrip for the rim, valves, and sealant.

mtbr member
    If they are tubless ready they already have the rim strips usually - and the bike usually comes with the valves or you can grab them at the LBS
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    If they are tubless ready they already have the rim strips usually - and the bike usually comes with the valves or you can grab them at the LBS
    News to me. None of the Trek/Fishers I've bought (2 of them) came with the TLR rim strip or valves. They came with a plastic rim strip that isn't the TLR rim strip. There has been lots of confusion about that on these forums over the years. It's been a couple years though since I got my last Fisher (2009)...maybe that's changed and they do come with TLR rim strips installed now.

I'm guessing that since the OP's wheels are V-brake/disc rims, that they didn't come with the correct rim strip and it's possible that a factory TLR rimstrip doesn't exist for these rims.

In that case, go with a Stan's set-up.

mtbr member
    I guess they are all different. I converted a friends Specialized and it had the strips already
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    News to me. None of the Trek/Fishers I've bought (2 of them) came with the TLR rim strip or valves. They came with a plastic rim strip that isn't the TLR rim strip. There has been lots of confusion about that on these forums over the years. It's been a couple years though since I got my last Fisher (2009)...maybe that's changed and they do come with TLR rim strips installed now.

I'm guessing that since the OP's wheels are V-brake/disc rims, that they didn't come with the correct rim strip and it's possible that a factory TLR rimstrip doesn't exist for these rims.

In that case, go with a Stan's set-up.
    Just converted my stock bonty mustang "tubeless ready" wheels. They do come stock with a rim strip, but it is NOT the correct one for tubeless. Picked up the correct strips and valve stems from my local trek store on the cheap, plus some Stan's. Piece of cake. There is an excellent 2 part how-to video from bontrager on YouTube. I'll see if I can find the link.

OP, just make sure your wheels are tubeless ready(should say on the rim somewhere). Otherwise I believe you will have to do the Stan's tape method. Good luck!!
    New guy...2012 Trek Xcal 29er

banned
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bishop29er View Post
    Just converted my stock bonty mustang "tubeless ready" wheels. They do come stock with a rim strip, but it is NOT the correct one for tubeless. Picked up the correct strips and valve stems from my local trek store on the cheap, plus some Stan's. Piece of cake. There is an excellent 2 part how-to video from bontrager on YouTube. I'll see if I can find the link.

OP, just make sure your wheels are tubeless ready(should say on the rim somewhere). Otherwise I believe you will have to do the Stan's tape method. Good luck!!
    Tires are not TLR, those are old, OLD 29er tires from '04, the Nanoraptor is even older I think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Subscribing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just follow the video on Stan's site. Do exactly what he says and you'll be fine. It really, really helps to have an air compressor but I did my first conversion with just a normal bike pump and the help of a friend. He pumped as fast as possible while I squeezed the tire against the rim to help it seal. One tire was UST and the other was just a basic Nevegal and I did it with the basic Alex wheels that came with my bike.

Attack Position
    Don't over think it. 1" roll of Gorilla tape, Stan's valves and Stan's sealant will do the trick. Took about 15 minutes per wheel, very easy and no issues at all out on the trail.

WTB Exiwolf's with Alex rims.