DDG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Giant XtC 29er 2 - Extra Wheel Set Recommendations

I use my bike both as a daily commuter bike and for off-road fun. I'm tired of chewing up the dirt tires riding on the street. I would like to maximize both dirt and road functionality of the bike.

Changing tires 2 or 3 times a week is not an option.

Therefore, I'm looking at getting another complete wheel set for a quick switch between road and dirt.

Any recommendations?

Stock wheel set:
    Rims: Giant S-XC2
    Hubs: Giant Tracker sealed, 15mm axle
    Cassette: Shimano HG61, 12X36 9 speed

My road commute is all on smooth pavement. No potholes or tough terrain to worry about. However, I weigh 230, so the wheel set will need to stand up to "heavy" usage.

I'm looking to build something that is as low cost as reasonably allowed.

Thanks for your recommendations.

DG

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not the most affordable, but I'd highly recommend a set of hope pro II hubs on ztr flow or crest rims. I think crest is max 230lbs. Setup a set of off-road tires in them tubeless and run your current rims with slicker tires more suited for road use. About $380/set right now.

mtbr member
    I'd keep my eye out for a used set of the S-XC2 to put some commuter tires on. To my knowledge they aren't horribly heavy and from what I hear it sounds like they can take some abuse. I only have about 100 miles on my XtC with those rims and have been happy with them but my experience is limited.

Maybe your LBS will have a leftover set when someone upgraded? Just a thought. As for building a set, I haven't built a set of 29" wheels and don't even know where to begin there.

Good luck!
    Trails - 2012 Giant XTC Composite 1 29er
    Townie - 2001 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Limited

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzkill911 View Post
    I'd keep my eye out for a used set of the S-XC2 to put some commuter tires on.
    Seconded.

Another set of the same or similar wheels would be your best option. No issue with brakes rubbing etc.

remember you will need another cassette and rotors as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sascwatch View Post
    Not the most affordable, but I'd highly recommend a set of hope pro II hubs on ztr flow or crest rims. I think crest is max 230lbs. Setup a set of off-road tires in them tubeless and run your current rims with slicker tires more suited for road use. About $380/set right now.
    The arch rims are the ones good to 230, not the crest...which is a lightweight, narrow, XC rim.

If you have the $$$, a set of Arch wheels would be a significant upgrade, i would use those offroad, keep the stockers for the commute.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzkill911 View Post
    I'd keep my eye out for a used set of the S-XC2 to put some commuter tires on.
    Thirded. If these were the stock rims on my 2009 XTC 29er 1 I probably wouldn't have "upgraded." The Deore rear hub (bent the rear axle) and heavy rims were the reason for the upgrade. I demoed a later model Anthem with the newer factory rims and felt they were comparable to what I built to upgrade, Pacenti TL28 on Hope Pro 2 Evo. I'm guessing you can find a good, cheap used set of Giant factory wheels from someone else who "upgraded."