mtbr member
    May 2012

Giant Talon 1 crank upgrade

I have a 2012 giant talon 1 that needs a new crank (damaged the or crank in a collision).

The crankset is a 3 ring and the rear cassette is an 8 speed.

All the new cranks I see in the classifieds seem to be 9/10 speeds.

If I pick up a 9/10 speed 3 ring crank, will I have issues with my 8 spd cassette and chain???

There is. Plethora of info on similar questions on the net but honestly, reading all of them has just confused me more!!

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

Never trust a fart
    You should not have any issues by using a 9/10 speed crank with an 8 speed setup.

As far as recommendations go, Shimano. Haven't found anything that shifts like Shimano chain rings, except for Blackspire chain rings.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. Most of what I have read online indicate that it will not work but I'm thinking because I already have a 3 ring crank, as long as I get another 3 ring I should be good to go as far as chain compatibility etc... I guess I will soon find out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoCorrado View Post
    ..snip..

If I pick up a 9/10 speed 3 ring crank, will I have issues with my 8 spd cassette and chain???
    ..snip..

A Shimano "9 speed" crank set will work fine. Shimano 10spd cranksets are exactly the same as 9 spd models but the rings have slightly different spacings. By many accounts on this forum they (10spd cranksets) will work fine you may have to "tune" your FD a little.

Shimano-SLX-M660-10-OE-Crankset
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    not sure about the cassette, but my 8sp FD didn't work well with 10sp cranks. It was all about cage width. Proper FD and now it is flawless. You may get away with 9sd but my guess is it may not be perfect. I would guess an 8sp chain would be pushing it on a 10spd crank too so I would avoid the 10spd. Oh, 8spd shifter too....hmmm...you may be in for a little fiddling. You need to match the chainring spacing as closely to the indexing on oyur shifter and chain if that makes sense to you. 8spd, 9spd and 10spd all have different chainring spacing. Good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    so if you change out the 8speed crank to a 9speed crank do you need to change the chain to a 9speed chain to use with the 8 speed cassette?

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I have used a 9 spd chain on an 8spd drivetrain before and it worked OK. Not sure if your 8sp chain would work on a 9spd crank though. May do. If you are gettinga new chain anyway I would probably get a 9spd one to match the cranks rather than an 8spd, given my prior experience.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    not sure about the cassette, but my 8sp FD didn't work well with 10sp cranks. It was all about cage width. Proper FD and now it is flawless. You may get away with 9sd but my guess is it may not be perfect. I would guess an 8sp chain would be pushing it on a 10spd crank too so I would avoid the 10spd. Oh, 8spd shifter too....hmmm...you may be in for a little fiddling. You need to match the chainring spacing as closely to the indexing on oyur shifter and chain if that makes sense to you. 8spd, 9spd and 10spd all have different chainring spacing. Good luck
    So the crank chain ring spacing is different for an 8/9/10 speed even if all three crank types are 3 ring? I thought the ring count would dictate the space between rings and the only difference betweeen the different speed cranks would be the teeth design/angles...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thanks..will try that

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoCorrado View Post
    So the crank chain ring spacing is different for an 8/9/10 speed even if all three crank types are 3 ring? I thought the ring count would dictate the space between rings and the only difference betweeen the different speed cranks would be the teeth design/angles...
    yes, they are different from what I understand. It is to do with chain width, but it's not and exact science and improvised setups can sometimes work if one wants to bother fiddling. I think on my DB 29er I have a 2 ring set up, 8spd cassette, 8spd shifters, on a 10spd granny and 9spd middle, on a 9spd chain, and 8spd road triple FD. Due to a large middle ring I have also offset the BB to the right with 3 spacers....it works, but not seamlessly. For that bike I don't mind. it is pretty good. You can see how convoluted it can become though.

mtbr member
    The spacings are different on the cassettes for 8,9 and 10spd.
    8 and 9 speed cassettes are the same width overall.

My understanding 8 and 9 speed cranksets are the same. 10 speed is the same crank arms but the rings have different spacings.
    8 and 9 speed chains are different widths but the internal space is the same.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    The spacings are different on the cassettes for 8,9 and 10spd.
    8 and 9 speed cassettes are the same width overall.

My understanding 8 and 9 speed cranksets are the same. 10 speed is the same crank arms but the rings have different spacings.
    8 and 9 speed chains are different widths but the internal space is the same.
    Yeah don't quote me on crank spacings, I am just going on eye and memory of cranks I have had. Yes, my slx 10spd cranks are the same as 9spd...just the rings are different. I am running the original granny with a deore 9spd middle. Cranks of this newer configuration though may not be designed with 8spd in mind. So if you get a 9or 10spd slx I don't have any idea how that relates to 8spd chain compatibility.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    A Shimano "9 speed" crank set will work fine. Shimano 10spd cranksets are exactly the same as 9 spd models but the rings have slightly different spacings. By many accounts on this forum they (10spd cranksets) will work fine you may have to "tune" your FD a little.

thanks for the heads up on the Jenson sale for the SLX crank. That crank is right up my alley. I only have one problem. My bike is currently an 8 speed. Ive been slowly gathering 9 speed components including an sram x9 shifter, sram 990 cassette and 991 chain.

Would the SLX 10 speed crank be compatible with the 9 speed sram chain or am I asking for headaches? I want to be sure before I place my order on Jenson (which needs to be soon before this sale is over)

Any opinions on this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

I have a 2010/11 talon 1. Cracked the left crank arm and bought that exact crankset.

If you get that crank set you will have to get an external bottom bracket too. The BB size is 73mm. Mine came with the 9 speed but you should be just fine.

You can buy it from any of the parts sites. chainreactioncycles, pricepoint, jensonusa etc. Shop and find the cheapest parts.

go to this thread for the parts you will need to get to pull the old cartridge and install the new BB
    Upgrading a Giant Talon

Giant Talon 1 crank upgrade-img_20130427_220559.jpg
    2011 Giant Talon 1
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by whooda View Post
    I have a 2010/11 talon 1. Cracked the left crank arm and bought that exact crankset.

If you get that crank set you will have to get an external bottom bracket too. The BB size is 73mm. Mine came with the 9 speed but you should be just fine.

You can buy it from any of the parts sites. chainreactioncycles, pricepoint, jensonusa etc. Shop and find the cheapest parts.

go to this thread for the parts you will need to get to pull the old cartridge and install the new BB
    Upgrading a Giant Talon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130427_220559.jpg 
Views:	2366 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	794442

so the OE bottom bracket is internal? I finally got my new SLX crank this week and was going to install on the weekend but I thought my BB would be compatible. Guess not!