Thread: Giant Stems

mtbr member

Giant Stems

I have a 2014 Giant Trance X 29er 1 in size large. I'm thinking of changing my stem to a shorter one, but wanted to make sure I was starting from a known baseline.

It's my understanding that the large comes with a 100mm stem, but I also read that the length should be printed on the stem. I'm not able to find that on my bike. I can't even verify that my frame size is size large. Am I just missing it? Not feeling very Holmesian ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It might be stamped on the inside edge under where the bar is seated.

mtbr member
    Use a ruler.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterF1963 View Post
    It might be stamped on the inside edge under where the bar is seated.
    I'll try that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Use a ruler.
    I did that, but I don't know how Giant measures it ... End to end? Top or bottom? Center to center?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Keep in mind that you probably have a Giant Overdrive 2 headset which has a non-standard fork steerer diameter of 1 1/4" instead of 1 1/8".

mtbr member
    Thanks. Yes I am planning on a Giant branded stem with the OD2 label to remove any question on sizing.

mtbr member

Giant Stems

Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    I'll try that. Thanks.

I did that, but I don't know how Giant measures it ... End to end? Top or bottom? Center to center?
    Measure from th enter of the bar clamp to the center of the stem top cap screw.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    All stem sizes are measured centre to centre.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here's a picture of my old stem I went with a 110 off Ebay for $39. The bike size should be on the seat tube with L sticker. What size are you thinking of going down to. Giant Stems-stem.jpg

mtbr member
    Measure from th enter of the bar clamp to the center of the stem top cap screw.
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    All stem sizes are measured centre to centre.
    OK that makes sense. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rt4x4 View Post
    Here's a picture of my old stem I went with a 110 off Ebay for $39. The bike size should be on the seat tube with L sticker. What size are you thinking of going down to.
    I was thinking about trying a 70mm just based on the comment in the review I linked to above. That guy is 6'2" and I'm 6'1".

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Try lowering stem lengths in 10mm increments. The Giant Contact SLR box-section carbon stem is insanely light, stiff and you'll notice the total control it offers you.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    The issue with 10mm at a time is it could take 3 stems to zero in on the right one, at $40 a pop. If I go to 70mm, and it's too short, I should be able to tell if 80mm or 90mm is closer to what I want, so one less stem. Kind of a binary search, lowering my maximum cost

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Have you changed out your stem yet on the Trance? I have a size M '14 TX29er 1 and it came with an 80mil stem and I ordered a 60mil off ebay. I saw in another thread you were getting dialed on your new bike and was wondering if the new stem size has effected your riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am 6'3", ride an XL trance x2 and have swapped the stem for a 70mm. I think I could go a little shorter and still be happy.

mtbr member
    Whipray, I have changed my stem to a 70mm version. I can feel the difference, but I wouldn't say it's a radical change. I think the bike steers more quickly, feels a bit more agile. I didn't notice a difference during climbs, which I was wary of. Also, I sit a bit more upright, which I like.

I suppose this would all be at the cost of higher-speed stability, but I don't go that fast.

So I like the change. I'm keeping it and feel no need to try a different length.

mtbr member

yeah, go get your ruler...

Use a ruler.

SPP
    1mm equals .03937007874 inch
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This is good to hear. I think the 60mil stem on the medium TX29er will be a plus. The 80mil feels comfortable now but I think the bike would benefit from a shorter stem, with the HTA that it has. I might be wrong, and I'll sell the stem if I am, but I have a feeling that it's going to help.

Did you slide your saddle back? Mine looks steep now from the shop, I haven't dropped a plumb-bob to see where it is but looking at it the nose looks like it's above the BB like a XC position. I see pics of Trance's here with the nose of the saddle way back behind the BB by an inch or two.
    Last edited by Whipray; 01-12-2014 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Going to the 60mm stem was a win. Quicker steering response, feels snappier, very happy with the results. Slid saddle back about 1cm to offset shorter cockpit, no noticeable change by doing this. Time will tell, didn't do any steep climbs today so maybe that will tell me if I need to move the saddle back up. 5'9" with short legs(30"inseam), avg. torso. On a Medium 2014 TX29er 1.