mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Giant carbon PXCR wheelset

Local shop is clearing out 2013 inventory, and they have the carbon 29er Giant wheelset: P-XCR Composite 29er 0 WheelSystem (WheelSystems) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States

Weight without tape or valves is 1380 grams for the set.

A bit narrow relatively speaking compared to LB and other wider-is-better options, but they are indeed lightweight and stiff, and the price is right: $800

Anyone have real-world use reports, or would you take another carbon route considering the inner rim width?

davidcarson48
    I have the P-XCR 1. Same hubs, spokes, and nips. Same rim width but in AL. They aren't very wide, but I've run Nobby Nic 2.25 on them without an issue. I upgraded the hub to a 36T star ratchet and they have been bombproof under my 200 pounds all year. Hubs are still smooth.

If that was my LBS, I'd have a hard time not jumping on them.

EDIT: Ok, looks like the spokes are different. And you'd get the 36T ratchet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A deal isn't a deal if you don't end up happy. After upgrading to wider rims I couldn't go back to narrow rims, so I'd skip it, spend a little more and get some wheels built.

It's been a while but if I remember correctly when I bought my Hope 2 with FlowEXs, it would have been between $900-$1000 for the same wheels build with LB rims, but they were still relatively new so I didn't want to chance it. Now that I've ridden wider rims, I'd say the $200 was worth it.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

cowbell
    I've run 2.4s on rims that wide. I'd go for it.

mtbr member

Giant carbon PXCR wheelset

I would definitely buy them at that price. Good quality, light hubs. Tubeless ready. Should be pretty stiff, too. If I remember correctly, the internal width is similar to Enve XC, which is pretty narrow, but I had no issues running 2.25 on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free