Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Giant Anthem 29X Stem length observations

13K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  Dictatorsaurus 
#1 ·
My large Anthem X came with a 100mm stem. I did not like the forward feeling on the handlebars on steep, rocky, technical decents when I first got the bike. So, I bought a 80mm stem, which I liked a LOT better on steep decents!!!

I recently demoed a Ellsworth Evolve with a 90mm stem, which rode a lot like my Anthem, in fact I liked it better.

What I liked better was how the longer 90mm stem on the Evolve made the bike seem less twitchy cornering, climbing and decending and seemed to keep the front wheel planted on the ground noticibly better than my Anthem with a 80mm stem. The only negative was a slight uncomfortable feeling of being too far forward on the handle bars. Note, I slam the seat down when going down hill. Overall, I like the longer stem, the pluses greatly outweighed the negatives!!!

What my question is, is after I try the 100mm stem again, I will probably want to try a 90mm stem, which might be perfect? I can keep the 80mm stem for when I ride down real steep, rocky, technical stuff. And maybe I could sell the 100mm stem or just keep it.

I also liked the narrower 2.0 Kenda Slant 6s, which seemed to grip well and rolled much better than the Hans Dampf front and GEAX Saguaro rear on my Anthem.

When it comes time for new tires I will get something similar to the Kenda Slant 6s.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Bill

See less See more
#46 ·
1CM stem length change made a difference on my bike w/ handling and cockpit. I went from 80mm to 90mm thinking I wanted more room....I ended up not liking it and went back to 80mm. All it did was bring me forward and effect steering in a way I didn't like. I found i out prefer the shorter stem which sets me back a bit more for descents.

I know a guy who went with a short stem/wide bar setup on his Anthem 29er and loves it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.