Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Get a Grip! (Handlebar Grips Only Thread)

I know it's not a very exciting topic but I searched but could not find a thread that only discussed handlebar grips (it was kind of mixed in with a bunch of stuff). I just can't make up my mind all I know is that my Speciaized "Ergo" non-locking type have got to go. Although on straight flat stuff thes grips let you rest your palm on the flat part, as soon as things get rough they are all over the place (kind of like my first girlfriend you never know where they are going to end up. So help me out here guys.....

SPECIALIZED BODY GEOMETRY GRIPS (The standard version that came with my Rockhopper were not the lock-on-type shown here). “I don’t like anything (paint’s o.k.) white on a bike” said DirtyHank, and while I’m *****in and moanin, IMHO what I don’t like about Specialized is their tendency to value engineer their product to death and go a tad bit cheaper on componentry than they should to support their otherwise excellent product line. I think they must have board meetings where one by one they wheel each of their new bikes in and then throw out the question; “O.K. so Billy just bought this bike from us, what is he going have to buy next from us.”

First thought is to be "brand-centric" and get the Specialized (now isn't that special) locking type. They sure look nice like most Specialized Products.

SIP LOCKING GRIPS $25 (kind of “Plain Jane” not that that’s a bad thing)

ENDURO XL LOCKING GRIPS $25 (Nice styling but like with women, looks aren’t everything)

In theory, the next two grips (Oury and Odi) are more to my liking because unlike the Specialized grips both the inboard and outboard ends are secured with clamps.

OURY LOCK-ON GRIP $20
    Not totally a fan of advertising the name Oury and not sure of what seems to be a design that looks like it may be tough on hands and gloves. Definitely don’t like silver clamps. Would be o.k. with black and think I could get them direct from Oury. (being fussy)

The Odi Rogue Lock On Grips $18.98 (Price Point)
    The Odi’s get all five star review comments with the exception of one guy that says his kid trashed his set in a couple of months damaged the end cap and was ignored by customer service. It would appear that the Oury’s have a screw-in-expansion-type end cap which in my mind makes it more secure but I’m not too worried about it.

Conclusion:
    I know there’s other stuff out there and without hearing any hands-on (pun intended) experience I’m still undecided. I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing pictures of what Grips you guys are using and what you have to say based on riding with them.

Thanks in advance,

Hank

mtbr member
    I am a big fan of the Ergon GP1 grips. Ergonomic and they lock-on.

ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS
    All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best...William of Ockham

mtbr member
    ESI "Super Chunkies", a few mm thicker than standard chunkies. Easy install, no spin, easy removal, and great feel/dampening for the rigid riding

Pics tonight

mtbr member
    FWIW I use the same grips on my 29ers and 26ers and some of my buddies even use the same grips on their 26er, 24" BMX cruiser, and 20" BMX. Basically, this thread doesnt need to be in the 29er components section . . .

I love ODI Rogues and Oury's. The expansion plug with the Oury kit isnt any better than the snap on plug on the ODIs that locks into place with the clamp. The Oury kit also uses ODI clamps.

I dont like Ergon grips as they compromise too much on the DH and my hands felt too fixed in one position.

mtbr member
    I love my Odi Rogue grips. Very comfortable, excellent quality. Never called customer support though. Never needed to. As for some guys kid damaging the end cap, I would think the kid probably lays his bike over on it and it gets trashed.

mtbr member

OURY grips FTW! I love my OURY grips. They soak up vibration well, fill my hand, they don't get slippery, and they last. I ran Oury grips on my dirt bikes when I was younger. I "discovered" the lock-on MTB grips a couple years ago, and now all of my MTBs, both my KTMs, and my Triumph 675 and Sprint ST are wearing OURY grips.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Amazed to see the number of 29-er specific grips out there.
    Les grimpées, je les déteste!

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by jpick915 View Post
    I am a big fan of the Ergon GP1 grips. Ergonomic and they lock-on.

ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS
    +1 - Love my Ergon GP1's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Basically, this thread doesnt need to be in the 29er components section
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Amazed to see the number of 29-er specific grips out there.
    I looked for a "Components" Header and could only find 29er components, but I hear what you're saying on the 26, 650b, and 29 and under.

Hank

P.S., Everyone in the Neg Rep Cat....You could check out the "Single Speed" Grips over in this thread...Suggestions needed for FAT grips! now cut it out, it's Friday, I know your boss is an a-hole but you'll probably get to let your frustration out when you ride tomorrow..:so chill..D
    Last edited by DirtyHank; 11-30-2012 at 11:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    +1 - Love my Ergon GP1's.
    ^^^
    I have them on my Niner Jet 9 and my Intense Spider 29, and had them on my Yelli Screamy too.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I will never go without Oury lock-ons ever again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I will never go without Oury lock-ons ever again
    O.K. I hear you but did you ever try the Odi's?

Hank

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ODI --- Love them they have always been great for me, I have been getting them since the 80's for my BMX bikes, but more recently i put the ODI Rogue locking grips on my two jet skis and they have lasted to all kinds of abuse and saltwater for about 8ish yrs ,

I just put them on my Rockhopper and LOVE them ,.......

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just got the Ergon GP1s.... Haven't tested them yet, as I have the Grip Shift version, and those are new as well, and I med to swap out the internals of my Elixer 7s to get the distance to shifter closer.

Sorely for that, but based on construction, these appear to be very well made grips with a larger than usual locking nut (4mm I think - not sure). On first look, I think they could be a shade shorter. I will be better able to comment on that once I can get to ride them! I am hoping they work out, as they were a bit much for a grip.

turtles make me hot
    I like Lizard Skins Peateys.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Grips are one of those things that are based completely on the person. Just because one works well for one person doesn't mean they will for someone else. Over the last twenty plus years of BMX and MTBing I have tried countless sets of grips. Having said that...my hands aren't very large, so I like smaller diameter grips. I'm a fan of Sip Grips, ODI Ruffians, and ESI Racers Edge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    I looked for a "Components" Header and could only find 29er components, but I hear what you're saying on the 26, 650b, and 29 and under.
    I guess most of the past grip discussions have happened in more general subforums. Or maybe the "General" forum.

Maybe I'm naive but I thought the 29er components forum was for discussing specific parts or setup for 29ers. Which ultimately is just rims and tires (although there's a tires forum) but sometimes could include gearing (although that would fall into the drivetrain forum).

Come to think about it, I'm not sure why there is a 29er Components section. My 29er was built from spare parts from my 26er with the exception of the fork, frame, and wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    +1 for OURY. What's the point in lock on's anyway? I just use a little dish soap and they never move after they dry, in 1-2 days. Trying new Rav-X but not quite as comfy, will last longer.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Come to think about it, I'm not sure why there is a 29er Components section. My 29er was built from spare parts from my 26er with the exception of the fork, frame, and wheelset.
    Very True

Hank

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Basically, this thread doesnt need to be in the 29er components section . . .
    You could say that about 50% of the threads in 29er component section....

mtbr member
    Well most times "dirt cheap" has always been a motivator, but then again has often brought the saying "You get what you pay" to mind.

(hard to resist)

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/a...11-30_1316.png

Anyone used/liked these?

Hank

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post

Anyone used/liked these?

Hank
    I have experience with a similar grip.

I used to use a similar grip from ODI.
    Once CRC was out of the usual ODI's, I picked up a pair of these as a temporary replacement:

C4 Lock On BMX Grips | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Now I have those on all my bikes. They last as long as the ODI's, feels the same, and the cost is a fraction.

As I recall, they run like 8$ as well.

Magura

mtbr member
    I've bought lots of grips.

Current favorite, by far, the Spec Enduro XL, love them.

Also, really like the Odi, I have them in a sorta neat brown color, fit & finish is excellent.

The new Spec SIP are very well made, just a bit thin for my taste.

Another one I really like is the Bontrager Race Lite Plus.

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctraut5 View Post
    Grips are one of those things that are based completely on the person. Just because one works well for one person doesn't mean they will for someone else. Over the last twenty plus years of BMX and MTBing I have tried countless sets of grips. Having said that...my hands aren't very large, so I like smaller diameter grips. I'm a fan of Sip Grips, ODI Ruffians, and ESI Racers Edge.
    true dat...and after years of trial and error, i've settled on standard oury grips, using regular old zip ties and super 77 spray adhesive to secure them...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    First of all I don't Lock-on grips because half of their diameter is wasted on the "Liner" inner tube, but I do like for my grips to be secure so I implement this little trick.

Yes the safety wire pliers are useful but not mandatory.

I use a single strand of wire so is very little "Poking"

You don't even see it and is super secure and for sure a lot less messy than gluing the grips.

Ps: I love OURY grips..
    Last edited by patineto; 11-30-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast