Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Get a Grip! (Handlebar Grips Only Thread)

26K views 122 replies 72 participants last post by  Ricky J 
#1 ·
I know it's not a very exciting topic but I searched but could not find a thread that only discussed handlebar grips (it was kind of mixed in with a bunch of stuff). I just can't make up my mind all I know is that my Speciaized "Ergo" non-locking type have got to go. Although on straight flat stuff thes grips let you rest your palm on the flat part, as soon as things get rough they are all over the place (kind of like my first girlfriend you never know where they are going to end up. So help me out here guys.....

SPECIALIZED BODY GEOMETRY GRIPS (The standard version that came with my Rockhopper were not the lock-on-type shown here). "I don't like anything (paint's o.k.) white on a bike" said DirtyHank, and while I'm *****in and moanin, IMHO what I don't like about Specialized is their tendency to value engineer their product to death and go a tad bit cheaper on componentry than they should to support their otherwise excellent product line. I think they must have board meetings where one by one they wheel each of their new bikes in and then throw out the question; "O.K. so Billy just bought this bike from us, what is he going have to buy next from us."

First thought is to be "brand-centric" and get the Specialized (now isn't that special) locking type. They sure look nice like most Specialized Products.

SIP LOCKING GRIPS $25 (kind of "Plain Jane" not that that's a bad thing)

ENDURO XL LOCKING GRIPS $25 (Nice styling but like with women, looks aren't everything)

In theory, the next two grips (Oury and Odi) are more to my liking because unlike the Specialized grips both the inboard and outboard ends are secured with clamps.

OURY LOCK-ON GRIP $20
Not totally a fan of advertising the name Oury and not sure of what seems to be a design that looks like it may be tough on hands and gloves. Definitely don't like silver clamps. Would be o.k. with black and think I could get them direct from Oury. (being fussy)

The Odi Rogue Lock On Grips $18.98 (Price Point)
The Odi's get all five star review comments with the exception of one guy that says his kid trashed his set in a couple of months damaged the end cap and was ignored by customer service. It would appear that the Oury's have a screw-in-expansion-type end cap which in my mind makes it more secure but I'm not too worried about it.

Conclusion:
I know there's other stuff out there and without hearing any hands-on (pun intended) experience I'm still undecided. I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing pictures of what Grips you guys are using and what you have to say based on riding with them.

Thanks in advance,

Hank :)

See less See more
#25 · (Edited)
First of all I don't Lock-on grips because half of their diameter is wasted on the "Liner" inner tube, but I do like for my grips to be secure so I implement this little trick.

Yes the safety wire pliers are useful but not mandatory.

I use a single strand of wire so is very little "Poking"

You don't even see it and is super secure and for sure a lot less messy than gluing the grips.

Ps: I love OURY grips..

#38 · (Edited)
Me too

I never had problems with my grips turning. I just installed them using 90% Isopropyl Alcohol, get things super clean and let the alcohol evaporate before taking the bike out.

Ourys are the best.... or so I though.

... until I tried some Ergons. With H-Bars, my wrist pain has gone away. :thumbsup:

Please excuse the sloppy bar wrap job.

I picked these up at a swap meet for $10 just to try them out (hence, the ugly green color... which I kinda like now). Now, I'm hooked. I have freakishly large hands, and for some odd reason the small size Ergons work best for me.

PS: I covet your second generation XTR dual controls. I've been trying to find a set of those at a reasonable price for years. Mine are starting to wear out after 5 years of heavy use.

#36 · (Edited)
eurospec,

When you say "I have rather big hands" what are we talking about? (like John Wayne big?) Even though I wear an XL glove, I don't consider my hands as being big. The Chunky's look cushy enough alright but I'm starting to see that I'm caught somewhere between design consious (Enduro XL) and a down and dirty rider (Wired on Oury's). Looking at them without any tread so-to-speak-of makes me feel like if I forgot my gloves on a hot day and decided to ride, my sweaty hands would slip off (I know the manufacturer says they are silicone and grippy but I don't think they are for me in this moment of time. Who knows in a few months I may be riding with ESI Chunky Grips. Hope I find that I like whatever I decide on as much as you like your ESI's.

Thanks,

Hank :thumbsup:

#4 ·
FWIW I use the same grips on my 29ers and 26ers and some of my buddies even use the same grips on their 26er, 24" BMX cruiser, and 20" BMX. Basically, this thread doesnt need to be in the 29er components section . . .

I love ODI Rogues and Oury's. The expansion plug with the Oury kit isnt any better than the snap on plug on the ODIs that locks into place with the clamp. The Oury kit also uses ODI clamps.

I dont like Ergon grips as they compromise too much on the DH and my hands felt too fixed in one position.

#9 · (Edited)
Basically, this thread doesnt need to be in the 29er components section
Amazed to see the number of 29-er specific grips out there.
I looked for a "Components" Header and could only find 29er components, but I hear what you're saying on the 26, 650b, and 29 and under.

Hank

P.S., Everyone in the Neg Rep Cat....You could check out the "Single Speed" Grips over in this thread...http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/suggestions-needed-fat-grips-795854.html :rolleyes:now cut it out, it's Friday, I know your boss is an a-hole but you'll probably get to let your frustration out when you ride tomorrow..:so chill..D

#6 ·

OURY grips FTW! I love my OURY grips. They soak up vibration well, fill my hand, they don't get slippery, and they last. I ran Oury grips on my dirt bikes when I was younger. I "discovered" the lock-on MTB grips a couple years ago, and now all of my MTBs, both my KTMs, and my Triumph 675 and Sprint ST are wearing OURY grips.

#13 ·
ODI --- Love them they have always been great for me, I have been getting them since the 80's for my BMX bikes, but more recently i put the ODI Rogue locking grips on my two jet skis and they have lasted to all kinds of abuse and saltwater for about 8ish yrs ,

I just put them on my Rockhopper and LOVE them ,.......

#14 ·
I just got the Ergon GP1s.... Haven't tested them yet, as I have the Grip Shift version, and those are new as well, and I med to swap out the internals of my Elixer 7s to get the distance to shifter closer.

Sorely for that, but based on construction, these appear to be very well made grips with a larger than usual locking nut (4mm I think - not sure). On first look, I think they could be a shade shorter. I will be better able to comment on that once I can get to ride them! I am hoping they work out, as they were a bit much for a grip.

#16 ·
Grips are one of those things that are based completely on the person. Just because one works well for one person doesn't mean they will for someone else. Over the last twenty plus years of BMX and MTBing I have tried countless sets of grips. Having said that...my hands aren't very large, so I like smaller diameter grips. I'm a fan of Sip Grips, ODI Ruffians, and ESI Racers Edge.

#22 ·
#23 ·
I've bought lots of grips.

Current favorite, by far, the Spec Enduro XL, love them.

Also, really like the Odi, I have them in a sorta neat brown color, fit & finish is excellent.

The new Spec SIP are very well made, just a bit thin for my taste.

Another one I really like is the Bontrager Race Lite Plus.

mudhen

#28 ·
Enjoyed my Oury's on my rigid SS - now with front suspension, I find I don't like that thick of a grip. My Specy came grips that I LOVE and will get again when they wear out. I like the looks of the at SIP grip.

#30 ·
mudhen:
I like the Spec Enduro too but I wonder if it only clamps on the inside, does it twist on the outboard side (which is really the most important).
“The new Spec SIP are very well made, just a bit thin for my taste”. (I thought that too)
Never checked out the Bontrager Lite Plus (I will)

shekky:
and after years of trial and error, i've settled on standard oury grips, using regular old zip ties and super 77 spray adhesive to secure them... (an interesting approach from the point of experience, I’m not that liberated yet)

patineto:
You must ride motorcycles or know someone that does. My brother in law is a trials guy and tried explaining this to me on our last ride. Thanks for sharing what looks to be Red Bull Rampage’s method of choice, but I don’t think I’m ready for either right now. (It don’t look half bad on your bike either)

Keep it up guys you're doing great!

#31 ·
patineto:
You must ride motorcycles or know someone that does.
How did you know..

My brother in law is a trials guy and tried explaining this to me on our last ride. Thanks for sharing what looks to be Red Bull Rampage's method of choice, but I don't think I'm ready for either right now. (It don't look half bad on your bike either)

Well at least you have a choice, I only use them on bikes that "get wet" since the OURY's are pretty good at holding on to the bars (yes a little rotation is fine)

#35 ·
I have rather big hands and tried all the ODI lock-on grips and going to rate them from least sucking to most sucking:

Rogues > Oury > SDG > TLD > Ruffians

My hands were never really "one with the bars" and I always returned with hand pain after longer rides, something was always off with any of the models listed, whether they were a smidge too thick, too hard, or just uncomfortable from the get-go.

Then I saw the light. ESI Chunky grips were my savior. I'm never using anything else ever again. Most comfortable grips bar none! :thumbsup:

#40 ·
I ran foam grips on my weight weenie racerboy hardtail for a while. I think I had Bontrager XXXLite foam grips, but that was like 8 years ago. They insulated my hands too much from the bike. It felt numb. I had a hard time feeling what the front wheel was doing when it started to break loose. It didn't help that I was running suicide rubber racerboy tires, so when they let go, they let go all at once. Holy crap, that bike was fast tho.:D

BTW, the trick for foam grips on carbon bars is to use yellow wood glue. Works great, and comes off clean when you cut your grips off.

Ha! Found a pic. This was me like 8 years and 20 pounds ago at an 8 hour race at Boggs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.