Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Because Lock-On grips have a hard plastic core, making them less cushy than unclamped grips, plus the rings themselves stick up above the grips. This made hot spots on my hands for long rides when I changed my hand position around.
    Now, if I ride in the rain... and I do a lot of riding in the rain... and don't have issues with my grips spinning, why would I need Lock-On grips?
    I used regular non-lockon Ourys for years and they never got loose and turned on me. It's all about making things silicon chip room clean before you install them. I use a small dab of 91% isopropyl Alcohol and air pressure to help slip them on. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrs1Rider View Post
    Because they feel harder and the end caps are annoying. First thing I change on new bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Because you only get half the rubber and the other part of the grip is just a plastic tube, for sure they are not the same..
    Got it...all good reasons can't argue with that.

Thanks,

Hank

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    It's all about making things silicon chip room clean before you install them.
    How do you clean them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Super 77 is supposed to make them stick really well - off course you have cut them off to change a break lever!

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiSocialClimber View Post
    How do you clean them?
    Pretty much my finger dipped in isopropyl alcohol, and wipe the bar with a clean rag and isopropyl alcohol. It's important to use 91% or greater. The 70% stuff contains some other stuff that leaves a film. Let it mostly air dry before installation.

Okay, I was exaggerating about the 'clean room' clean.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Super 77 is supposed to make them stick really well - off course you have cut them off to change a break lever!
    Super77 is very much like rubber cement. I never had good luck using it, then my graphic designer wife (who actually used to do photo-ready style paste up... pre-computer graphic design) told me that stuff never really dries, and no wonder it doesn't work well. I say, stay far away for this application.

mtbr member
    The ESI's stick every time with Windex, are easy to put on and take off. I've have bad luck with getting rubber grips to stick.

mtbr member

Best Grips I've Used

I recently wrote an article featuring my top 10 favorite grips.

Top 10 Best Mountain Bike Grips

OldGloryMTB.com | American Made Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The Odi Rogue Lock On Grips with Hope Grip Doctor end caps - unbeatable for stability and grip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    Well most times "dirt cheap" has always been a motivator, but then again has often brought the saying "You get what you pay" to mind.

(hard to resist)

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/a...11-30_1316.png

Anyone used/liked these?

Hank
    AVOID! they last a month.

If havent ment

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

cork grip

found these on ebay, suits my allrounder fine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Get a Grip! (Handlebar Grips Only Thread)-imgp7664aasml.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpetrzelka View Post
    The Odi Rogue Lock On Grips with Hope Grip Doctor end caps - unbeatable for stability and grip.
    I changed (for the better) from ODI Lock-on's to Oury Lock-ons. Love em ! Now if I just had a lifetime supply of end caps.

hank

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Testing the translucent OURY's on the fatbike to see how well they hold up in the cold.

mtbr member
    They look like ice cubes, they should do well.

hank

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Really liking my Oury Lockons. So much that I put a pair of Oury slip ons on my secondary bike... will probably test it out this coming weekend.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I am loving my race face lock on grips, they are larger diameter then most slip ons and its helped a lot with numbness and staying comfortable. Had them on for about 75 miles or so now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ran with Lizard North Shores on my last bike. Decided to go with Odi Rogue's on my new bike after the vibrations with my Bontrager Race Lite Grips drove my hands insane even with the carbon bars. Only been a week and I haven't looked back.

mtbr member
    Using the ESI Chunky currently.

Going to give these a shot next time: THE NEXT GENERATION OF GRIP TECHNOLOGY IS HERE! Lizardskins
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

Si vales, valeo.

Re: Get a Grip! (Handlebar Grips Only Thread)

I've used ODI Rogues for a long time, but I tend to prefer the thinner grips, like these Peaty's I've recently picked up.
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Using the ESI Chunky currently.

Going to give these a shot next time: THE NEXT GENERATION OF GRIP TECHNOLOGY IS HERE! Lizardskins
    I am using Lizard Skins Northshore Lock-on 33mm grips but was thinking about trying the DSPs. Would be interested how they are.
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 9; 2013 Trek Domane 4.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The Northshores are alot thicker and with the extra padding will help you out. Those thinner lizard skin grips are going to be quite different.

mtbr member

Get a Grip! (Handlebar Grips Only Thread)

I just ordered a set of the Lizard Skin Peaty grips. They're not cheap, I sure hope I like them.

Bikes I currently have. 2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er. 2013 Trek Mamba 29er.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    The Northshores are alot thicker and with the extra padding will help you out. Those thinner lizard skin grips are going to be quite different.
    The Northshore are 33 mm diameter. The thicker DSP are 32.3 mm. Negligible difference. I have largish hands and like gloves without much padding so thicker grips work better for me so far. But I'm a beginner at mtn biking so that could still change as I get more experienced and faster.
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 9; 2013 Trek Domane 4.5

Keep on Rockin...
    End caps on Oury non-lock-ons....

The big issue I've always had with original Ourys was the bar cutting through the end of the grip if/when the end of the bar took a hit. Now with carbon bars I really don't like that happening.

Putting an end cap on the bar, under the grip works, but often the outer diameter of the cap is slightly larger than the grip and this creates a tiny pocket at the end the grip that allows some annoying rotation.

I've cut the ends off and put the larger, internally mounted, end caps that cover the end of the grip and that works well. But it ruins the feel a bit.

Any ideas?

I thought about gluing a tougher piece of rubber to the outside of the rubber end piece. Or maybe putting a plug into the end of the bar and cutting it flush with the bar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My hands prefer the mildly barrel-shaped (convex) cork grips from Dimension, but I dislike having to glue and remove these from handlebars...it would be cool if ODI or someone else combined this classic corker with the simplicity of bolt-ons.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5