Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Get a Grip! (Handlebar Grips Only Thread)

26K views 122 replies 72 participants last post by  Ricky J 
#1 ·
I know it's not a very exciting topic but I searched but could not find a thread that only discussed handlebar grips (it was kind of mixed in with a bunch of stuff). I just can't make up my mind all I know is that my Speciaized "Ergo" non-locking type have got to go. Although on straight flat stuff thes grips let you rest your palm on the flat part, as soon as things get rough they are all over the place (kind of like my first girlfriend you never know where they are going to end up. So help me out here guys.....

SPECIALIZED BODY GEOMETRY GRIPS (The standard version that came with my Rockhopper were not the lock-on-type shown here). "I don't like anything (paint's o.k.) white on a bike" said DirtyHank, and while I'm *****in and moanin, IMHO what I don't like about Specialized is their tendency to value engineer their product to death and go a tad bit cheaper on componentry than they should to support their otherwise excellent product line. I think they must have board meetings where one by one they wheel each of their new bikes in and then throw out the question; "O.K. so Billy just bought this bike from us, what is he going have to buy next from us."

First thought is to be "brand-centric" and get the Specialized (now isn't that special) locking type. They sure look nice like most Specialized Products.

SIP LOCKING GRIPS $25 (kind of "Plain Jane" not that that's a bad thing)

ENDURO XL LOCKING GRIPS $25 (Nice styling but like with women, looks aren't everything)

In theory, the next two grips (Oury and Odi) are more to my liking because unlike the Specialized grips both the inboard and outboard ends are secured with clamps.

OURY LOCK-ON GRIP $20
Not totally a fan of advertising the name Oury and not sure of what seems to be a design that looks like it may be tough on hands and gloves. Definitely don't like silver clamps. Would be o.k. with black and think I could get them direct from Oury. (being fussy)

The Odi Rogue Lock On Grips $18.98 (Price Point)
The Odi's get all five star review comments with the exception of one guy that says his kid trashed his set in a couple of months damaged the end cap and was ignored by customer service. It would appear that the Oury's have a screw-in-expansion-type end cap which in my mind makes it more secure but I'm not too worried about it.

Conclusion:
I know there's other stuff out there and without hearing any hands-on (pun intended) experience I'm still undecided. I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing pictures of what Grips you guys are using and what you have to say based on riding with them.

Thanks in advance,

Hank :)

See less See more
#122 ·
End caps on Oury non-lock-ons....

The big issue I've always had with original Ourys was the bar cutting through the end of the grip if/when the end of the bar took a hit. Now with carbon bars I really don't like that happening.

Putting an end cap on the bar, under the grip works, but often the outer diameter of the cap is slightly larger than the grip and this creates a tiny pocket at the end the grip that allows some annoying rotation.

I've cut the ends off and put the larger, internally mounted, end caps that cover the end of the grip and that works well. But it ruins the feel a bit.

Any ideas?

I thought about gluing a tougher piece of rubber to the outside of the rubber end piece. Or maybe putting a plug into the end of the bar and cutting it flush with the bar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.