Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    +1 for the Odi Rogue Lock On Grips. I have an XL hand and don't like softer grips, they tend to moosh out with heat sweat to fast for my liking...

Angry SingleSpeeder
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jpick915 View Post
    I am a big fan of the Ergon GP1 grips. Ergonomic and they lock-on.
    I love these grips!

mtbr member
    odi rogue for me on all my bikes...the oury lock-on made by odi ahve the same diameter and feel similar to me.
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Oury lock ons for my FS, Bontrager thick grips lock on for my SS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, my of thinkin says I need to use bar tape to make my grips sense my 29er uses 700c rims..
    lean forward

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Until recently I've been using Rogues and have been quite happy but they rough up your gloves pretty quick. I switched to the Chromag Palmskins and have been very pleased. They provide plenty of grip without a tapered bulge-the built in bar plugs are a nice touch as well.

Snapper

naked grips

I run all my bars completely naked with no grips - gloves are enough - you have suspension right

i find it increases my feel for the trail

i now do the same for my seat and only wear a ball hunging g-strip to keep the tackle in place.............. a bit of cream on the ring and you are good to go. Nothing like leather (seat) against skin. I did try one of those furry SDG seats but it smelt like poo after a while - leather you just wash down.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Oury grips... nuff said
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Oury grips... nuff said
    What he said....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Specialized has Ergon knockoff grips that are great, IMO. They use a softer material for the "wing" area which is also shaped/sized in such a way you can move your hands around on the grips a little more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I got some Oury grips for a new bike.

I mounted them using compressed air.

I took the bike out today I while I thought the grips were on solid, one them started coming loose and it got progressively looser until, by the time I got home, the grip pulled right off.

I had tried alcohol earlier but thought better of it and after cleaning and drying the grips and bar mounted them using compressed air.

I was thinking about finding solvent-based hairspray. The safety wire technique looks interesting too.

But I sure like to know what happened with my dry mounted grips failing.

Ideas anyone

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I really like lizard skin peaty lock on. I used to have Oury lock on but with gel pad (palm) gloves on, i don't like how bulky they feel. The peaty is nice and thing and with a gel glove feels better in my hand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiSocialClimber View Post
    I got some Oury grips for a new bike.

I mounted them using compressed air.

I took the bike out today I while I thought the grips were on solid, one them started coming loose and it got progressively looser until, by the time I got home, the grip pulled right off.

I had tried alcohol earlier but thought better of it and after cleaning and drying the grips and bar mounted them using compressed air.

I was thinking about finding solvent-based hairspray. The safety wire technique looks interesting too.

But I sure like to know what happened with my dry mounted grips failing.

Ideas anyone
    Hairspray and safety wire kept my motorcycle grips on for years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dambala View Post
    Hairspray and safety wire kept my motorcycle grips on for years.

I'm gonna try one more mounting with compressed air. If that fails I'll try the hairspray and wire idea.

I can get a decent set of safety wire pliers at harbor freight - $10.

Do you use stainless steel wire?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiSocialClimber View Post
    I can get a decent set of safety wire pliers at harbor freight - $10.
    You don't really need the pliers, you can twist the strands by hand (half the time I do it that way anyway) but they are a neat toy to have if you do it a lot..

Do you use stainless steel wire?
    Stainless wire will break in no time when you are twist in it, sadly you need special wire and only comes in big rolls (about $25 a roll) but maybe you can go to your plane/moto/race car shop and ask them for some..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I used the zip tie mounting method and they went on easy enough but very slowly tuned around and around (4 rides per turn).

mtbr member
    I really like the ESI Chunky grips. I have them on both of my bikes. Neato colors too.

agu
    mtbr member
    +1 on the ESI Chunkies. If you need more Cush, they've got Extra Chunkies too.

mtbr member
    Oooh. I didn't know they had extra chunkies. They chunky all around, or even thicker in the palm?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I think the Esi Extra Chunky's are just an extra 2 mm thicker around the palm. I've been thinking about getting some for the rigid single speed. I've been using Esi's on all my bikes for the last few years.

mtbr member
    I don't understand why anyone would not use lock-on-grips on a MTB they take seriously.

Hank

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would not use lock-on-grips on a MTB they take seriously.

Hank
    Oury's are more comfortable, lighter and cheaper ... if you can get them not spin.

ballbuster

Hank
    Because Lock-On grips have a hard plastic core, making them less cushy than unclamped grips, plus the rings themselves stick up above the grips. This made hot spots on my hands for long rides when I changed my hand position around.

Now, if I ride in the rain... and I do a lot of riding in the rain... and don't have issues with my grips spinning, why would I need Lock-On grips?

I used regular non-lockon Ourys for years and they never got loose and turned on me. It's all about making things silicon chip room clean before you install them. I use a small dab of 91% isopropyl Alcohol and air pressure to help slip them on. Works perfectly every time.

That said, I switched to Ergon grips, and they have a clamp. They have that nice cushy paddle to spread the load out on my hand, so the hardness over the bar isn't an issue.

Pardon the crappy tape job....

... and one more, because I'm a pichwhore...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Hank
    Because they feel harder and the end caps are annoying. First thing I change on new bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Hank
    Because you only get half the rubber and the other part of the grip is just a plastic tube, for sure they are not the same..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast