Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    +1 for OURY. What's the point in lock on's anyway? I just use a little dish soap and they never move after they dry, in 1-2 days. Trying new Rav-X but not quite as comfy, will last longer.
    What's your method? Mine tend to move very slowly ... around and around.
    Last edited by SS Hack; 11-30-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Keep on Rockin...

Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post

OURY grips FTW! I love my OURY grips. They soak up vibration well, fill my hand, they don't get slippery, and they last. I ran Oury grips on my dirt bikes when I was younger. I "discovered" the lock-on MTB grips a couple years ago, and now all of my MTBs, both my KTMs, and my Triumph 675 and Sprint ST are wearing OURY grips.
    I usually find I need a washer under the head of the expansion screw to keep it from pulling through.

mtbr member
    Enjoyed my Oury's on my rigid SS - now with front suspension, I find I don't like that thick of a grip. My Specy came grips that I LOVE and will get again when they wear out. I like the looks of the at SIP grip.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rogue lock ons are my favorite.

mtbr member
    mudhen:
    I like the Spec Enduro too but I wonder if it only clamps on the inside, does it twist on the outboard side (which is really the most important).
    ďThe new Spec SIP are very well made, just a bit thin for my tasteĒ. (I thought that too)
    Never checked out the Bontrager Lite Plus (I will)

shekky:
    and after years of trial and error, i've settled on standard oury grips, using regular old zip ties and super 77 spray adhesive to secure them... (an interesting approach from the point of experience, Iím not that liberated yet)

patineto:
    You must ride motorcycles or know someone that does. My brother in law is a trials guy and tried explaining this to me on our last ride. Thanks for sharing what looks to be Red Bull Rampageís method of choice, but I donít think Iím ready for either right now. (It donít look half bad on your bike either)

Keep it up guys you're doing great!

Hank

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post

patineto:
    You must ride motorcycles or know someone that does.
    How did you know..

My brother in law is a trials guy and tried explaining this to me on our last ride. Thanks for sharing what looks to be Red Bull Rampageís method of choice, but I donít think Iím ready for either right now. (It donít look half bad on your bike either)

Hank
    Well at least you have a choice, I only use them on bikes that "get wet" since the OURY's are pretty good at holding on to the bars (yes a little rotation is fine)

mtbr member
    I like the Spec Enduro too but I wonder if it only clamps on the inside, does it twist on the outboard side (which is really the most important).
    Mine have never moved...I thought the same thing when I first got the bike....but it works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    How did you know..
    Dude you're Rad...and in the rain..

Hank

Raining in California... Well we need it. Can't complain

mtbr member
    liking the ours a lot. have been using the wtb grips for a couple of years and wanted to try something a little larger. no buzziness. havent been out for four or more hours on them yet, that will be the acid test for me.
    Another Tallboy convert!!!

mtbr member
    I have rather big hands and tried all the ODI lock-on grips and going to rate them from least sucking to most sucking:

Rogues > Oury > SDG > TLD > Ruffians

My hands were never really "one with the bars" and I always returned with hand pain after longer rides, something was always off with any of the models listed, whether they were a smidge too thick, too hard, or just uncomfortable from the get-go.

Then I saw the light. ESI Chunky grips were my savior. I'm never using anything else ever again. Most comfortable grips bar none!

mtbr member
    eurospec,

When you say "I have rather big hands" what are we talking about? (like John Wayne big?) Even though I wear an XL glove, I don't consider my hands as being big. The Chunky's look cushy enough alright but I'm starting to see that I'm caught somewhere between design consious (Enduro XL) and a down and dirty rider (Wired on Oury's). Looking at them without any tread so-to-speak-of makes me feel like if I forgot my gloves on a hot day and decided to ride, my sweaty hands would slip off (I know the manufacturer says they are silicone and grippy but I don't think they are for me in this moment of time. Who knows in a few months I may be riding with ESI Chunky Grips. Hope I find that I like whatever I decide on as much as you like your ESI's.

Thanks,

Hank
    Last edited by DirtyHank; 12-01-2012 at 09:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

ESI Chunky Grips

ballbuster

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    First of all I don't Lock-on grips because half of their diameter is wasted on the "Liner" inner tube, but I do like for my grips to be secure so I implement this little trick.

Yes the safety wire pliers are useful but not mandatory.

I use a single strand of wire so is very little "Poking"

You don't even see it and is super secure and for sure a lot less messy than gluing the grips.

Ps: I love OURY grips..
    I never had problems with my grips turning. I just installed them using 90% Isopropyl Alcohol, get things super clean and let the alcohol evaporate before taking the bike out.

Ourys are the best.... or so I though.

... until I tried some Ergons. With H-Bars, my wrist pain has gone away.

Please excuse the sloppy bar wrap job.

I picked these up at a swap meet for $10 just to try them out (hence, the ugly green color... which I kinda like now). Now, I'm hooked. I have freakishly large hands, and for some odd reason the small size Ergons work best for me.

PS: I covet your second generation XTR dual controls. I've been trying to find a set of those at a reasonable price for years. Mine are starting to wear out after 5 years of heavy use.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 12-01-2012 at 10:14 AM.

29er
    Apr 2010
    used to have ergon
    was better, but still got numb
    changed to foam grips, which i like better, gives me more control
    biggest difference is arm position, bend your elbows
    that will take all the weight off your wrist, and put you in the "attack position"

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    used to have ergon
    was better, but still got numb
    changed to foam grips, which i like better, gives me more control
    biggest difference is arm position, bend your elbows
    that will take all the weight off your wrist, and put you in the "attack position"
    I ran foam grips on my weight weenie racerboy hardtail for a while. I think I had Bontrager XXXLite foam grips, but that was like 8 years ago. They insulated my hands too much from the bike. It felt numb. I had a hard time feeling what the front wheel was doing when it started to break loose. It didn't help that I was running suicide rubber racerboy tires, so when they let go, they let go all at once. Holy crap, that bike was fast tho.

BTW, the trick for foam grips on carbon bars is to use yellow wood glue. Works great, and comes off clean when you cut your grips off.

Ha! Found a pic. This was me like 8 years and 20 pounds ago at an 8 hour race at Boggs.

29er
    Apr 2010
    im using aerosol hair spray
    when the alcohol dries the hair spray acts like glue

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    im using aerosol hair spray
    when the alcohol dries the hair spray acts like glue
    The perhaps oldest and best trick in the book

Magura

banned
    ESI silicone. Best bang for your buck in mtn biking. They don't move. 50-60g depending on model.

ballbuster

No...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    The perhaps oldest and best trick in the book

Magura
    This is the coolest trick in the book. Here's another.

Ya know, I never got hair spray to work for me. The grips always end up sliding around, even when I left it to dry for a week without touching it. I tried heavy and light application of it, and still didn't work. I must be doing something wrong. I used Aqua Net hair spray.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 12-01-2012 at 12:55 PM.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    This is the coolest trick in the book. Here's another.

Ya know, I never got hair spray to work for me. The grips always end up sliding around, even when I left it to dry for a week without touching it. I tried heavy and light application of it, and still didn't work. I must be doing something wrong. I used Aqua Net hair spray.
    Aqua net sounds like non-solvent stuff. That won't work.

Also to work, everything must be totally clean.

Elnet I believe the one in my tool box is called.

Magura

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Have used all the ODI grips, Peaties, tried Ergon GS1 and GA1s ... etc over the years and I prefer ESI Chunkies on all my bikes ... great grips.

I actually like the Raceface grips, particularly the Sniper Lockons, better than any of the ODI and Lizard Skin grips, probably my second favorites, especially when its seriously wet out. Prefer RF rubber compound

I've always had the best luck using Isopropyl Alcohol instead of hairspray to install the ESI grips.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

...that works way better than hairspray.

Anyways, I switched to lock-ons, I am not a pro racer so I can afford the extra 20g or whatever

mtbr member
    You know, back in the day before the clamp on grip thing, I never had any issues with my grips slipping. You sprayed cheap hair spray in them, slid them on, and then stuck the air compressor chuck between the grip/bar (holding the grip) and blasted it...never budged.

ballbuster

Nah...

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post

...that works way better than hairspray.

Anyways, I switched to lock-ons, I am not a pro racer so I can afford the extra 20g or whatever
    Super 77 doesn't really harden up. It stays greasy like rubber cement. Believe me, I used to apply that stuff by the caseload to graphic design projects, speaker grilles, carpet, etc. It's good for porous stuff, but not this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GotoDengo View Post
    I got the Ergons with the large "wings" to help with wrist numbness. Although I liked them at first, I realized they don't work well (for me) on technical singletrack... especially hilly stuff.

When you go back off the saddle on a downhill, the wing interferes with the grip by pushing your wrists back. Try gripping it tightly with the wing pressing into your wrist... this is what it's like when you're holding on tight down a rock garden. Essentially your middle finger is bearing all of the weight... and that was with 1-finger hydros. If you do 2-finger breaking it would be even worse. I sprained my finger because of them and they came of the next day in favor of some Ourys.

To each their own. I agree with the money back guarantee, just make sure you ride down some technical downhills as part of the eval. On flat riding they felt great.
    What GotoDengo says about the "ergo" shaped grips is a more experience explanation of what I feel about ergo grips for me. Although I like them for the few times I ride my MTB on the street, on single track and rough downhill I always feel like I'm wrestling with my grips for control of my bike. Maybe my riding is improving and I can handle more dirt on my plate.

Hank

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast