Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: albertdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    428

    Geax Gato vs Maxxis Ardent - which to get? N.Utah riding...

    Sorry to start yet ANOTHER tire thread, but I've looked at a lot of threads and still can't decide what tire to get as a replacement FRONT tire for my RIP 9.

    I'm in northern Utah - in the Salt Lake City/Park City area. Most of the trails I ride are hardpack, often with either a small loose layer of sand or pebbles (especially in corners). Sticking out of the hardpack, there can be a lot of half-buried rocks jutting up, often quite sharp.

    I'm looking for a new front tire - something that won't get cut too easily and will wear well, but also with good bite through the loose stuff in turns and a reasonable ride on the rocks. I'm running Stans Arch EX rims, tubeless, so the Gato TNT is out from my understanding, but the regular Gato would work.

    I currently have the Geax Saguro on the front and don't like it. I feel like it doesn't bite well in a corner if there is any loose stuff on the trail. In addition, I punctured it twice today on a rocky trail (Bob's Basin Dropout and Stealth trails for any locals) - both punctures happened between knobs near the center of the tire tread. I also got a small knick on the sidewall. Bad luck today. So I'm looking to put something that bites/handles better and that will take the rock beating better. Lighter would be a bonus...
    ...oh and every ride with my brother and friends is like a race, so fast rolling too.

    Would a Maxxis Ardent 2.25 or Geax Gato 2.3 do better for me than the Saguro? If yes, which should I get? Any locals to Salt Lake/Park City area who know the trails and have tried any or all of those tires? Is there something better that I should be looking at instead of the Ardent or Gato?

    Thanks

    Edited: Gato size fixed
    Last edited by albertdc; 05-24-2012 at 05:16 AM.

  2. #2
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,901
    First off what are you running in the back with the Saguaro? Also what PSI are you running it at? Tubeless or Tubed?

    I have the Gato (which is 2.3" not 3") up front and the Saguaro in the back and live in the high desert as well (northern Nevada). I raced this set last weekend and while not the lightest setup they are good in rocks, loose, and just about everything with the except of wet for the Sag. I am running tubed and have my front at 26psi and back at about 30psi.

    The thing that I have found with GEAX tires is due to the rounded profile of the tire you have to get them to real low pressures to get exceptional bite. When I was running the Purg Control 2blis up front and the Sag in back I was running the Purg at about 20psi and the Sag about 22psi (tubeless) and they did INCREDIBLE. The only thing I did not like about the Purg was that there seemed to be a vague area when in corners. This made me feel like I either had to slam the bike over or stay straight up to get any traction. After this weekends race I found the exact opposite with the Gato.

    My feelings, give the Saguaros another try but really drop their pressure. Tubeless the Gato comes alive in the mid-teens.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    43

    Ardent 2.4?

    I also live in northern Utah and also have a rip 9. My bike originally had 2.25 ardents but I soon switched to the 2.4 on the front. MUCH better. The 2.25 might roll a little bit better and a few grams less but that's it. It doesn't compare to the 2.4 in cornering or durability. The 2.4 actually rolls preitty good for such a big tire. I've been using an aka or saguaro this spring in the back and they seem much more durable than the 2.25 ardent. Go ride in slc has a good price on both ardents. I looked at the gato, kinda seemed like a better soft/mud tire than a rocky/loose tire Imo.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: albertdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    First off what are you running in the back with the Saguaro? Also what PSI are you running it at? Tubeless or Tubed?

    I have the Gato (which is 2.3" not 3") up front and the Saguaro in the back and live in the high desert as well (northern Nevada). I raced this set last weekend and while not the lightest setup they are good in rocks, loose, and just about everything with the except of wet for the Sag. I am running tubed and have my front at 26psi and back at about 30psi.

    The thing that I have found with GEAX tires is due to the rounded profile of the tire you have to get them to real low pressures to get exceptional bite. When I was running the Purg Control 2blis up front and the Sag in back I was running the Purg at about 20psi and the Sag about 22psi (tubeless) and they did INCREDIBLE. The only thing I did not like about the Purg was that there seemed to be a vague area when in corners. This made me feel like I either had to slam the bike over or stay straight up to get any traction. After this weekends race I found the exact opposite with the Gato.

    My feelings, give the Saguaros another try but really drop their pressure. Tubeless the Gato comes alive in the mid-teens.
    oops - gato size fixed in my post - meant 2.3.

    I have the Saguro in back currently as well. Probably going to leave it for now, though considering the Ikon (plus or minus the Exo version).

    Yes, I'm running tubeless with pressures around 25. Actually had been running around 28 until yesterday and lowered it a bit to 25. I don't know if that contributed to getting the cut/puncture from the rock since it was in the middle of the tire tread between knobs.

    I can't imagine going to the mid-teens with the Saguro. I could swear I felt a rock hit through the tire to the rim (just barely) on a previous ride - how would the Saguro hold up in the mid-teens and not bash my rims in? I think the Gato is a bigger tire and can handle a lower pressure like that, right?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: albertdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfsnbrad View Post
    I also live in northern Utah and also have a rip 9. My bike originally had 2.25 ardents but I soon switched to the 2.4 on the front. MUCH better. The 2.25 might roll a little bit better and a few grams less but that's it. It doesn't compare to the 2.4 in cornering or durability. The 2.4 actually rolls preitty good for such a big tire. I've been using an aka or saguaro this spring in the back and they seem much more durable than the 2.25 ardent. Go ride in slc has a good price on both ardents. I looked at the gato, kinda seemed like a better soft/mud tire than a rocky/loose tire Imo.
    Thanks - I hadn't really considered the Ardent 2.4 because that just seems like it would be a HUGE tire! I like to RIP it when I descend (pun intended...), but I also like to haul a$$ going uphill, so I wasn't sure I was willing to go up to the 2.4. Anybody else with input on the difference between the Ardent 2.25 and 2.4?

    You said that the AKA or Saguaro seem more durable than the Ardent 2.25. Does the Ardent wear quickly or get cut up? Did you see that happening with it on the front too, or just on the rear?

    Everyone, Please, keep the input coming! Thanks.

  6. #6
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,901
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    I can't imagine going to the mid-teens with the Saguro. I could swear I felt a rock hit through the tire to the rim (just barely) on a previous ride - how would the Saguro hold up in the mid-teens and not bash my rims in? I think the Gato is a bigger tire and can handle a lower pressure like that, right?
    Yeah no run the Sag right around 20psi. It has done fine when I have run it as low as 15psi but I did seem to get more rock hits on the rim. For the Gato though, it really comes alive once you get below 22psi, and even more so below 18psi.

    I forgot that you were running Arches (I am running Flows) so that will play a bit of a difference in the way the tire behaves as the Flows allow it to spread out more.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

  7. #7
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,839
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    Thanks - I hadn't really considered the Ardent 2.4 because that just seems like it would be a HUGE tire! I like to RIP it when I descend (pun intended...), but I also like to haul a$$ going uphill, so I wasn't sure I was willing to go up to the 2.4. Anybody else with input on the difference between the Ardent 2.25 and 2.4?

    You said that the AKA or Saguaro seem more durable than the Ardent 2.25. Does the Ardent wear quickly or get cut up? Did you see that happening with it on the front too, or just on the rear?

    Everyone, Please, keep the input coming! Thanks.

    The AKA has a pretty good sidewall, but the tread wears pretty fast.....especially on hard pack, rock and sandstone.

    The Ardent 2.4 EXO is not all that heavy considering the size....the one I have is under 800g.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    43

    Ardent 2.25 is just so so.

    The ardent 2.25 didn't seem to wear that fast on the rear nor did I have any sidewall issues after running them for almost a season. The sidewalls just seem thinnner than the geax tires. I was also not that fond of the steering of the 2.25 on front. The 2.4s knobs, esp. the intermediate row, are taller giving better steering. I think the 2.25 would be a great rear tire if it came in an exo sidewall.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    705
    Ardent 2.4, best trail bike tire avail IMHO.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azjonboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,416
    I run the Ardent 2.4 up front, tubeless on Flows, at 17 psi on my SS 29er. I weigh 185# and love to go down fast.
    I'm in Phoenix so there are lots of rocks and sand. I also ride in the mountains of northern AZ and it works well there also. It grips and corners well and also provides great cushion, which when running rigid helps a lot! Stiff sidewalls go a long way towards making this a do everything tire, even at low psi.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: albertdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    I run the Ardent 2.4 up front, tubeless on Flows, at 17 psi on my SS 29er. I weigh 185# and love to go down fast.
    I'm in Phoenix so there are lots of rocks and sand. I also ride in the mountains of northern AZ and it works well there also. It grips and corners well and also provides great cushion, which when running rigid helps a lot! Stiff sidewalls go a long way towards making this a do everything tire, even at low psi.
    Do you feel like it rolls and climbs nicely? (I know it's great downhill, but what about up big climbs? )

    I'm surprised at all the Ardent Love! I figured it would be split with some Gato love too. My shop was actually recommending the Gato over the Ardent, so nice to see all this Ardent love here. :beer:

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azjonboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,416
    It does roll and climb nicely. I was using the 2.55 WW up front until they changed it. Went to the Ardent
    and am please with how it handles at low psi. A friend also switched to the Ardent when I did and also likes it. I've done several 5-7 hour rides with upwards of 7,000 feet of climbing and don't think it hindered me. If you're a pure weight weenie, forget about it. I like dependable when I'm 30 miles from nowhere.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: octavius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    264
    I would think the tyre best suiting the op is definately the ardent. My experience in Scotland is only having ridden on either ardents and gatos. They both seem to roll pretty fast but im now much happier with the gato because the ardent is terrible in mud where as the gato is amazing.
    the ardents are great though in everything other than mud (so its not a Scottish friendly tyre almost ever).
    Agree with other comments to drop your pressure, it's a whole new world...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: albertdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    428
    Thanks for all the feedback. Well, I went to the shop fully ready to get the Ardent 2.4 as it seems most people agree that the as good as the 2.25 is, the 2.4 is even better. The guy in the shop said he recently started riding the Nobbby Nic 2.35 up front and LOVES it. He went back to the Ardent 2.4 for a day just to see, and though it was good, noted that the Nobby Nic seemed considerably better to him and he put it back on. They had the Nobby Nic 2.35 discounted (still pricey, and still more than the Ardent, but hopefully I won't need another for a while), so I went for it. The knobs are much more aggressive than the Ardent, though I am a little worried that without the ramps it won't be as fast of a rolling tire. All the reviews point to it as a fast tire, though, and it is quite a bit lighter, so I thought I would take a chance on it.
    Good move or stupid?!?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    247
    I live in Sandy, also ride a Rip9 and run the Ardent 2.4 up front. You prob bought the only other tire I would consider on that bike. I tried the NN on my RDO to get a little more grip than the Racing Ralphs but didn't think it was tons better and def way slower. Anyway I think those are two of the top. I just tried a WTB Bronson race that I am pretty happy with after 2 rides on the RDO. So far though I don't see me trying anything else on the Rip especially considering the wear I am getting

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: albertdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by tws_andrew View Post
    I live in Sandy, also ride a Rip9 and run the Ardent 2.4 up front. You prob bought the only other tire I would consider on that bike. I tried the NN on my RDO to get a little more grip than the Racing Ralphs but didn't think it was tons better and def way slower. Anyway I think those are two of the top. I just tried a WTB Bronson race that I am pretty happy with after 2 rides on the RDO. So far though I don't see me trying anything else on the Rip especially considering the wear I am getting
    Awesome to hear. Thanks. I didn't get a chance to test the tire this weekend due to rain, but hopefully next weekend I will.

    tws_andrew: a RIP and an RDO! ? I was drooling overt the RDO, but I decided to go with the RIP because of the cost difference. I'm almost surprised that you still ride the RIP since you gave the RDO as well. Are you trying to limit the wear and tear on the RDO, or are there trails on which the RIP actually performs better/is more fun than the RDO? If you could only have one, would you keep the RIP or the RDO?



    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •