Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Geax Gato

Meat Clever

Geax Gato

Any love for this as a front tire. Currently running Nobby Nic and want more grip. Would love to try a Hans Dampf, but cant rationalize shelling out $80+ for a tire right now. Looked at the Geax Sturdy, but reviews are generally modest to negative. Loved the Kenda Nevegal, but it is a pig and rolls like an anvil. Have tried the Ardent 2.4, and it's OK, but did not like the hard cornering characteristics.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Geax Gato

I'd love to hear feedback on this as well. I run a Nic in the front of my 29er and have generally been happy with it. Had a snow race last weekend and threw a brand new Gato 2.3 on the rear of the bike ( I was in a hurry and definitely didn't want to use the Maxxis Aspen in the snow).

But I'm thinking of moving the Gato to the front and putting the 2.25 Nic on the back. Wondering how people like the Gato as a front tire, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I bought a pair and was totally unable to mount them on my rims

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Geax Gato

I recently switched to a regular folding Gato up front and it's seems great. It's bigger, slightly lighter and much faster than the Rampage (similar to Nev) it replaces. It mounted up fine tubeless on Crests and aired up with a floor pump. I highly recommend.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Geax Gato

I have a TNT on the front of my FS as my winter tire. Sticks like glue, better than a 2.35 NN. Rolls well. 900gm. Tough.

Meat Clever
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    I have a TNT on the front of my FS as my winter tire. Sticks like glue, better than a 2.35 NN. Rolls well. 900gm. Tough.
    Good feedback. Thanks

Xtreme Lounger
    I just put a set of Gato 29x2.3 folding on my ZTR flow wheels. Weights were 760 and 764. I was intrigued by this tire since it has such an unusual tread pattern and I've never run a Geax tire before so I wasn't sure what to expect. Somebody said it was good for the SW desert conditions where I live (dry, loose over hard, and rocky, sand) so I figured I would give them a shot.

They mounted up fine and sealed easily with Stan's. Coming from Ardent 2.4, the size was a bit underwhelming. At my low pressures (16-18 psi) they're only measuring 2.2 at the carcass and 2.25 at the knobs. In fairness, the Ardent was only 2.35 at low pressure but the Gatos just looked so much smaller to my eyes.

I've put over 100 miles on them in 2 days and I must say - I'm really impressed. They grip surprisingly well for acceleration and braking and they really shine in the cornering department. If you start to lean too far, they will start to rumble and slip a tiny bit before they will let go so they have a nice warning. I can't believe how this smaller tire with slightly shorter outside knobs than the Ardent 2.4 can corner so much better - especially through the loose stuff. The Ardent is just not that good in loose over hard or sandy type conditions.

Also, the rolling resistance was surprisingly good on the Gatos. They kind of have a tractor tread look to them so I was thinking they might roll a bit slow. That's not the case at all. They rolled better than the Ardent (though the Gato are 40g lighter per tire).

The only disappointment is with the sizing. It's not far off from the claimed size, but IMO they don't have enough volume to really tune them (like the Ardent). Not counting comfort (for rigid riders like me), you have to balance low pressure for traction against high enough pressure to avoid rim dents. I've got enough traction, but I'm hitting the rim pretty hard many times per ride. If I go any higher in pressure, the traction starts to suffer and the tire wants to bounce. In my experience, that is a problem for me with any tire that measures under a true 2.3 - there's just not enough volume for proper tuning. I might try going to a wider rim to get more volume ... I'm liking these tires that much.

I never like the NN - about 3 rides and they came off the bike. The knobs seemed to squirm or there was something about them that I had trouble tracking a straight line in hard pack conditions. They actually scared me a couple times on narrow, slightly off-camber stuff with exposure.

I just got done putting about 250 miles on the Hans Dampf Trailstar as a front tire and hated it from the first ride. The tire is getting so much hype. It actually looks like a great tire on paper and the aggressive tread and decent volume really appealed to me. But the thing just washes out in every challenging turn - especially if the turn is loose over hard. Way worse than the Ardent. The HD outside knobs are too tall and not properly supported so they tend to bend is part of the problem. Also, the tire has lots of chunks missing from the intermediate knobs and the outside knobs were already starting to get undercut after just 250 miles - which is less than 2 weeks for me! Um hello, I need a tire that lasts longer than 4-6 weeks, please. And at those ridiculous prices, what a joke. Maybe if you only ride 10-20 miles a week and live in a wet climate they might last half a season, but it they are a no go for SW desert type riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I really like the Gato as a front tire. You have to run it at really low PSI, in the teens, but it handles that pressure well in the TNT version. The tire is tough as nails and handles great. Steiny, I think the TNT model would solve your rim hit bottoming out issues, as the sidewalls are much stiffer and I can run low psi hard and almost never hit the rim. I also think a wider rim would get you more volume, as my TNT Gato on a wide rim measures a full 2.3. A little heavy at 790 grams, but worth it for me as it has held up really well in the sharp rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Geax Gato

My regular Gato is at least 2.3 on Crests ... must have got a good one, I guess. I'd stay clear of TNT on Stan's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Good to know.I got 3 sets of Flows that need tubeless.I'll steer clear of TNTs.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    I think the TNT model would solve your rim hit bottoming out issues, as the sidewalls are much stiffer and I can run low psi hard and almost never hit the rim.
    That is what I was thinking too. Currently I'm running ZTR Flow rims and I heard that trying to put Geax TNT tires on Stan's rims is nearly impossible. That's why I went with the folding.

Wow, your TNT tire only weighed 790g? I must have got some porkers since mine were 760 and 764 for the folding bead version. That's hardly any penalty for TNT.

I think I need to plan a new wheelset with proper UST capable rims. I wish the new i25 rims were available ...

Meat Clever
    Steiny - excellent information; much appreciated. Only remaining question is whether the TNT Gato will go on Easton Havens without too much of a fight. As others above have expressed, I tried to put a TNT Saguro on a flow once and have never cursed or bashed as many knuckles trying to get that damn tire on before or since...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Geax Gato

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDummy View Post
    Steiny - excellent information; much appreciated. Only remaining question is whether the TNT Gato will go on Easton Havens without too much of a fight. As others above have expressed, I tried to put a TNT Saguro on a flow once and have never cursed or bashed as many knuckles trying to get that damn tire on before or since...
    Was it a TNT? The folding mount up fine and are lighter - the sideways are still pretty thick too.

mtbr member
    I ran the 2.3 (non TNT) with no problems on Crests. It was good, but simply didn't match up to the Ardent either size or grip wise, so I didn't keep it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Geax Gato

Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    I ran the 2.3 (non TNT) with no problems on Crests. It was good, but simply didn't match up to the Ardent either size or grip wise, so I didn't keep it.
    How much more does the Ardent weigh? Now that everyone is saying it's bigger, I'm interested in trying at some point. One thing about the Gato is it also tall with adds to overall volume.

Meat Clever
    I've run the 2.4 ardent both with suspension and rigid and it is a fantastically large-volume, great big ol' tire, but it seemed to corner worse for me than the NN, even at stupid low pressures (17-18 psi)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Anybody looked at Vee Rubber tires?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    How much more does the Ardent weigh?
    There is a sticky post in the wheels and tires forum that has a link to a Google spreadsheet that everyone was contributing tire weights to. The running average over 10 tires for the 29x2.4 is currently 810g. Most of mine have weighed just over 800g so that number is pretty trustworthy. There are no entries for the Gato and I've only ever weighed 2 tires.

The Ardent 2.4 is definitely a nice volume tire and the EXO sidewall is quite tough. They wear well and are a good all around tire for most conditions. Their week spot, IMO, is anything wet and small gravel/stones or really loose conditions.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Geax Gato

Forgot to mention that I have a non-TNT Gato on the rear of my rigid SS. It is mounted on a Flow rim. Good winter tire. Good volume. It csme in around 760gm. No durability issues in the rocks. I do have a NN on the front for extra cush.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Are we talking about wire bead/Flows or folding Gato non TNT?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Geax Gato

I'm talking about a regular folding and it weighs 763 grams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I'm talking about a regular folding and it weighs 763 grams.
    Thanks.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Meat Clever
    So nobody running TNT Gato (or similar Geax tires) on Easton Havens? I'd hate to buy a TNT, then not be able to get it on the rim. I definitely need sidewall protection

mtbr member
    May 2012
    TWI has a review of a TNt on havens...here's the link:
    The State Of Tubless-ness: (Tubeless Re-try) Part II

Meat Clever
    Went ahead and purchased the TNT Gato (on sale for $37) and mounted it last night on an Easton Haven front. A little tight, but not bad getting it on the rim. Aired up fine. Knob pattern looks nice and aggressive. Width appears as-stated, but is not impressively overwhelming (like the Ardent 2.4 is). It is claimed under 800 grams, and while I didn't weigh it, it feels like a porker. Hopefully it rides and rolls lighter than it feels in the hand (several others have stated their impression that this is the case with the Gato - hope it holds true). First ride this afternoon. Tally ho.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast