Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geax Gato

Meat Clever

Geax Gato

Any love for this as a front tire. Currently running Nobby Nic and want more grip. Would love to try a Hans Dampf, but cant rationalize shelling out $80+ for a tire right now. Looked at the Geax Sturdy, but reviews are generally modest to negative. Loved the Kenda Nevegal, but it is a pig and rolls like an anvil. Have tried the Ardent 2.4, and it's OK, but did not like the hard cornering characteristics.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Geax Gato

I'd love to hear feedback on this as well. I run a Nic in the front of my 29er and have generally been happy with it. Had a snow race last weekend and threw a brand new Gato 2.3 on the rear of the bike ( I was in a hurry and definitely didn't want to use the Maxxis Aspen in the snow).

But I'm thinking of moving the Gato to the front and putting the 2.25 Nic on the back. Wondering how people like the Gato as a front tire, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I bought a pair and was totally unable to mount them on my rims

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Geax Gato

I recently switched to a regular folding Gato up front and it's seems great. It's bigger, slightly lighter and much faster than the Rampage (similar to Nev) it replaces. It mounted up fine tubeless on Crests and aired up with a floor pump. I highly recommend.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Geax Gato

I have a TNT on the front of my FS as my winter tire. Sticks like glue, better than a 2.35 NN. Rolls well. 900gm. Tough.

Meat Clever
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    I have a TNT on the front of my FS as my winter tire. Sticks like glue, better than a 2.35 NN. Rolls well. 900gm. Tough.
    Good feedback. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I just put a set of Gato 29x2.3 folding on my ZTR flow wheels. Weights were 760 and 764. I was intrigued by this tire since it has such an unusual tread pattern and I've never run a Geax tire before so I wasn't sure what to expect. Somebody said it was good for the SW desert conditions where I live (dry, loose over hard, and rocky, sand) so I figured I would give them a shot.

They mounted up fine and sealed easily with Stan's. Coming from Ardent 2.4, the size was a bit underwhelming. At my low pressures (16-18 psi) they're only measuring 2.2 at the carcass and 2.25 at the knobs. In fairness, the Ardent was only 2.35 at low pressure but the Gatos just looked so much smaller to my eyes.

I've put over 100 miles on them in 2 days and I must say - I'm really impressed. They grip surprisingly well for acceleration and braking and they really shine in the cornering department. If you start to lean too far, they will start to rumble and slip a tiny bit before they will let go so they have a nice warning. I can't believe how this smaller tire with slightly shorter outside knobs than the Ardent 2.4 can corner so much better - especially through the loose stuff. The Ardent is just not that good in loose over hard or sandy type conditions.

Also, the rolling resistance was surprisingly good on the Gatos. They kind of have a tractor tread look to them so I was thinking they might roll a bit slow. That's not the case at all. They rolled better than the Ardent (though the Gato are 40g lighter per tire).

The only disappointment is with the sizing. It's not far off from the claimed size, but IMO they don't have enough volume to really tune them (like the Ardent). Not counting comfort (for rigid riders like me), you have to balance low pressure for traction against high enough pressure to avoid rim dents. I've got enough traction, but I'm hitting the rim pretty hard many times per ride. If I go any higher in pressure, the traction starts to suffer and the tire wants to bounce. In my experience, that is a problem for me with any tire that measures under a true 2.3 - there's just not enough volume for proper tuning. I might try going to a wider rim to get more volume ... I'm liking these tires that much.

I never like the NN - about 3 rides and they came off the bike. The knobs seemed to squirm or there was something about them that I had trouble tracking a straight line in hard pack conditions. They actually scared me a couple times on narrow, slightly off-camber stuff with exposure.

I just got done putting about 250 miles on the Hans Dampf Trailstar as a front tire and hated it from the first ride. The tire is getting so much hype. It actually looks like a great tire on paper and the aggressive tread and decent volume really appealed to me. But the thing just washes out in every challenging turn - especially if the turn is loose over hard. Way worse than the Ardent. The HD outside knobs are too tall and not properly supported so they tend to bend is part of the problem. Also, the tire has lots of chunks missing from the intermediate knobs and the outside knobs were already starting to get undercut after just 250 miles - which is less than 2 weeks for me! Um hello, I need a tire that lasts longer than 4-6 weeks, please. And at those ridiculous prices, what a joke. Maybe if you only ride 10-20 miles a week and live in a wet climate they might last half a season, but it they are a no go for SW desert type riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I really like the Gato as a front tire. You have to run it at really low PSI, in the teens, but it handles that pressure well in the TNT version. The tire is tough as nails and handles great. Steiny, I think the TNT model would solve your rim hit bottoming out issues, as the sidewalls are much stiffer and I can run low psi hard and almost never hit the rim. I also think a wider rim would get you more volume, as my TNT Gato on a wide rim measures a full 2.3. A little heavy at 790 grams, but worth it for me as it has held up really well in the sharp rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Geax Gato

My regular Gato is at least 2.3 on Crests ... must have got a good one, I guess. I'd stay clear of TNT on Stan's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Good to know.I got 3 sets of Flows that need tubeless.I'll steer clear of TNTs.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    I think the TNT model would solve your rim hit bottoming out issues, as the sidewalls are much stiffer and I can run low psi hard and almost never hit the rim.
    That is what I was thinking too. Currently I'm running ZTR Flow rims and I heard that trying to put Geax TNT tires on Stan's rims is nearly impossible. That's why I went with the folding.

Wow, your TNT tire only weighed 790g? I must have got some porkers since mine were 760 and 764 for the folding bead version. That's hardly any penalty for TNT.

I think I need to plan a new wheelset with proper UST capable rims. I wish the new i25 rims were available ...

Meat Clever
    Steiny - excellent information; much appreciated. Only remaining question is whether the TNT Gato will go on Easton Havens without too much of a fight. As others above have expressed, I tried to put a TNT Saguro on a flow once and have never cursed or bashed as many knuckles trying to get that damn tire on before or since...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Geax Gato

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDummy View Post
    Steiny - excellent information; much appreciated. Only remaining question is whether the TNT Gato will go on Easton Havens without too much of a fight. As others above have expressed, I tried to put a TNT Saguro on a flow once and have never cursed or bashed as many knuckles trying to get that damn tire on before or since...
    Was it a TNT? The folding mount up fine and are lighter - the sideways are still pretty thick too.

mtbr member
    I ran the 2.3 (non TNT) with no problems on Crests. It was good, but simply didn't match up to the Ardent either size or grip wise, so I didn't keep it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Geax Gato

Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    I ran the 2.3 (non TNT) with no problems on Crests. It was good, but simply didn't match up to the Ardent either size or grip wise, so I didn't keep it.
    How much more does the Ardent weigh? Now that everyone is saying it's bigger, I'm interested in trying at some point. One thing about the Gato is it also tall with adds to overall volume.

Meat Clever
    I've run the 2.4 ardent both with suspension and rigid and it is a fantastically large-volume, great big ol' tire, but it seemed to corner worse for me than the NN, even at stupid low pressures (17-18 psi)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Anybody looked at Vee Rubber tires?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    How much more does the Ardent weigh?
    There is a sticky post in the wheels and tires forum that has a link to a Google spreadsheet that everyone was contributing tire weights to. The running average over 10 tires for the 29x2.4 is currently 810g. Most of mine have weighed just over 800g so that number is pretty trustworthy. There are no entries for the Gato and I've only ever weighed 2 tires.

The Ardent 2.4 is definitely a nice volume tire and the EXO sidewall is quite tough. They wear well and are a good all around tire for most conditions. Their week spot, IMO, is anything wet and small gravel/stones or really loose conditions.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Geax Gato

Forgot to mention that I have a non-TNT Gato on the rear of my rigid SS. It is mounted on a Flow rim. Good winter tire. Good volume. It csme in around 760gm. No durability issues in the rocks. I do have a NN on the front for extra cush.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Are we talking about wire bead/Flows or folding Gato non TNT?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Geax Gato

I'm talking about a regular folding and it weighs 763 grams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm talking about a regular folding and it weighs 763 grams.
    Thanks.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Meat Clever
    So nobody running TNT Gato (or similar Geax tires) on Easton Havens? I'd hate to buy a TNT, then not be able to get it on the rim. I definitely need sidewall protection

mtbr member
    May 2012
    TWI has a review of a TNt on havens...here's the link:
    The State Of Tubless-ness: (Tubeless Re-try) Part II

Meat Clever
    Went ahead and purchased the TNT Gato (on sale for $37) and mounted it last night on an Easton Haven front. A little tight, but not bad getting it on the rim. Aired up fine. Knob pattern looks nice and aggressive. Width appears as-stated, but is not impressively overwhelming (like the Ardent 2.4 is). It is claimed under 800 grams, and while I didn't weigh it, it feels like a porker. Hopefully it rides and rolls lighter than it feels in the hand (several others have stated their impression that this is the case with the Gato - hope it holds true). First ride this afternoon. Tally ho.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    I just put a set of Gato 29x2.3 folding on my ZTR flow wheels. Weights were 760 and 764. I was intrigued by this tire since it has such an unusual tread pattern and I've never run a Geax tire before so I wasn't sure what to expect. Somebody said it was good for the SW desert conditions where I live (dry, loose over hard, and rocky, sand) so I figured I would give them a shot.

They mounted up fine and sealed easily with Stan's. Coming from Ardent 2.4, the size was a bit underwhelming. At my low pressures (16-18 psi) they're only measuring 2.2 at the carcass and 2.25 at the knobs. In fairness, the Ardent was only 2.35 at low pressure but the Gatos just looked so much smaller to my eyes.

I've put over 100 miles on them in 2 days and I must say - I'm really impressed. They grip surprisingly well for acceleration and braking and they really shine in the cornering department. If you start to lean too far, they will start to rumble and slip a tiny bit before they will let go so they have a nice warning. I can't believe how this smaller tire with slightly shorter outside knobs than the Ardent 2.4 can corner so much better - especially through the loose stuff. The Ardent is just not that good in loose over hard or sandy type conditions.

Also, the rolling resistance was surprisingly good on the Gatos. They kind of have a tractor tread look to them so I was thinking they might roll a bit slow. That's not the case at all. They rolled better than the Ardent (though the Gato are 40g lighter per tire).

The only disappointment is with the sizing. It's not far off from the claimed size, but IMO they don't have enough volume to really tune them (like the Ardent). Not counting comfort (for rigid riders like me), you have to balance low pressure for traction against high enough pressure to avoid rim dents. I've got enough traction, but I'm hitting the rim pretty hard many times per ride. If I go any higher in pressure, the traction starts to suffer and the tire wants to bounce. In my experience, that is a problem for me with any tire that measures under a true 2.3 - there's just not enough volume for proper tuning. I might try going to a wider rim to get more volume ... I'm liking these tires that much.

I never like the NN - about 3 rides and they came off the bike. The knobs seemed to squirm or there was something about them that I had trouble tracking a straight line in hard pack conditions. They actually scared me a couple times on narrow, slightly off-camber stuff with exposure.

I just got done putting about 250 miles on the Hans Dampf Trailstar as a front tire and hated it from the first ride. The tire is getting so much hype. It actually looks like a great tire on paper and the aggressive tread and decent volume really appealed to me. But the thing just washes out in every challenging turn - especially if the turn is loose over hard. Way worse than the Ardent. The HD outside knobs are too tall and not properly supported so they tend to bend is part of the problem. Also, the tire has lots of chunks missing from the intermediate knobs and the outside knobs were already starting to get undercut after just 250 miles - which is less than 2 weeks for me! Um hello, I need a tire that lasts longer than 4-6 weeks, please. And at those ridiculous prices, what a joke. Maybe if you only ride 10-20 miles a week and live in a wet climate they might last half a season, but it they are a no go for SW desert type riding.
    Great write-up and I can echo his thoughts and experiences. Living in the N. NV desert we have a large variety of terrain that can be ridden through. Since day one that I started riding the Gato (as a front) on my Flows I have been nothing but impressed. Normally through the summer I run the Gato front with the Saguaro rear and the only downfall that I have found of the pairing is that the Sag does not like wet/slippery terrain (but then a mud or heavy lugged tire is really all that does well there). These roll with incredible ease (even compared to the 2.2 Purgatory Control 2Bliss that I was originally running) and really come alive in the mid to low teens psi-wise when running tubeless. I have had ZERO problem mounting my folding bead to my flows and running tubeless with homebrew sealant and ghetto gorilla tape job inside.

I cannot recommend these tires enough, when I was originally looking at them I had emailed GEAX and received a prompt call the next day from one of their techs (they are owned by Vittoria) and got some great information from him on their MTB line-up as well as Cyclocross/Road line-up as well.

Do remember that these are UST bead style tires and ZTR/Stans and Sun Ringle rims are BST bead style so they are not compatible. Those that complain about the tires not fitting their rims or that they are overly tight (to the point of breaking tire irons) did not do their research to know that this is a known issue, plain and simple TNT will go on with force but 99% of the time will have to be cut off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've run some non-TNT Gatos on Flows also. I really liked them at or slightly under 20psi. I was hoping they would do well on wet rocks and roots but they were pretty slick, all other conditions I rode in VT they were great. I felt my Rampages were grippier on wet stuff though.

Meat Clever
    First impressions after initial ride of TNT Gato 2.3 on front in SoCal:
    -traction far surpasses nobby nic or Ardent and may approach my beloved (but super slow rolling and porky) nevegal
    -I started the ride with what I thought would be a relatively low pressure of 19 psi. After and hour and a half, my hands and forearms were aching and i realized the reason was too much pressure (duh!). Even at this *high* pressure, it was gripping very well and behaving relatively well in the handling department
    -lowered the pressure to 14.5 psi and grip was fantastic. No apparent squirm either in casing or knobs: I think I will be able to run this safely around 13-15 psi (stupid low pressures!)
    -Agree with Steiny that cornering grip is fantastic, even in loose over hard conditions typical of SoCal.
    -As stated in an earlier post, I did not weigh the tire, but it is noticeably heavier than the non-TNT version and the NN it replaced. Some of this weight is noticeable on steep-scratchy climbs.
    -Similar to the 2.4 Ardent, once this tire gets a head of steam, it rolls like a freight train (in a good way).

I'm looking forward to see what this tire can do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Geax Gato

Any point in the TNT over the folding? The folding is lighter and plenty tough and likes tubeless.

Meat Clever
    I chose TNT because I have slashed the sidewalls of all non "TLR", "EXO", "snakeskin" etc. tires that I have tried tubeless.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah the TNT is their "tube no-tube" tire that is specifically tubeless compatible and has extra sidewall protection. While the Folding is happy to do tubeless, it is not "ment" for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    so far the gato has beat me in the battle to get it onto a WTB frequency i23 rim... bashed knuckle, many curse words and a broken tire lever has left me pretty frustrated. had some pretty thick rim tape that wasnt perfectly aligned so i am going to try and find some thinner rim tape, maybe a metal tire lever and try again tomorrow. ill let ya know how it goes.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Geax Gato

Quote Originally Posted by cameden View Post
    so far the gato has beat me in the battle to get it onto a WTB frequency i23 rim... bashed knuckle, many curse words and a broken tire lever has left me pretty frustrated. had some pretty thick rim tape that wasnt perfectly aligned so i am going to try and find some thinner rim tape, maybe a metal tire lever and try again tomorrow. ill let ya know how it goes.
    Should not need levers at all. Mounting/removing tubeless tires on my i23s is easy without tools.

1. Use the WTB 28mm wide rim tape that is recommended for the rim. It is not thick.

2. Read this: http://www.teamestrogen.com/content/asa_levers

3. Use soapy water on the beads if you still have trouble.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks shiggy...I'll see what I can do. Very strange though because I've had to fight every tire I've put on here which has been 3 so far...haven't gone tubeless tho as I'm waiting to find what works best for me on a new bike.
    Thanks again for the advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So the combination of a steel core levers, thinner rim tape and some soapy water finally got this sucker on. The TNT seems very rugged and I just hope I don't have to change it on the trail. Looks impressive I'll report back after she gets wet.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Geax Gato

Quote Originally Posted by cameden View Post
    So the combination of a steel core levers, thinner rim tape and some soapy water finally got this sucker on. The TNT seems very rugged and I just hope I don't have to change it on the trail. Looks impressive I'll report back after she gets wet.
    Learn to do without the levers. It is easily doable.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've been running a Gato TNT front tire on Kansas City metro-area trails for about a year now. Running them tubed, on a stock Bontrager AT850 rim though. I will agree that they are pretty difficult to get on the rim, but thankfully haven't had to change out a tube on the trail with these tires. Those TNT sidewalls are extremely rugged, that's for sure. I have a reputation for flat tires (yes… I need to explore going tubeless!) but have never had one with the Gato yet. I too was surprised at how well they roll, for such a heavy, aggressive pattern tire. There's a good mix of trail conditions in the KC metro area and the Gato has handled them all very well for me. Very confidence-inspiring on the turns. I sometimes get strange looks from other riders when I mention Geax tires, so I think they're an undervalued brand around my area. So far, their quality and performance has been top-notch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm in KC too and love a Gato on the rear. TNT sidewalls are my favorite of any tire. GEAx makes some nice tires.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Never tried the Gato as a rear tire yet. How's it roll as a rear? I also have a Geax Saguaro mounted tubeless on a front wheel, but haven't put it on the bike yet. I hear a lot of good comments on the Saguaro in general so I'm excited to try it as well. The Gato has really made a good first impression of Geax tires for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've never been a good judge of how well tires "roll". Probably a little slower due to the wide spaced knobs but I like the grip and durability on the rocky KC trails. I'd really like to try the new Goma tire.

mtbr member
    Gato rolls pretty well for an aggressive knob tire. If I had to compare to other aggressive trail tires I've owned I'd say they are better than Nevegals but not quite as good as Purgatorys (but it works better than both in the mud).

I run them at low pressure, ~19 psi on a 35mm rim and they handle great in anything from mud to loose over hardpack. Tubeless was a cinch on Velocity tubeless ready rims.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Gato rolls pretty well for an aggressive knob tire. If I had to compare to other aggressive trail tires I've owned I'd say they are better than Nevegals but not quite as good as Purgatorys (but it works better than both in the mud).

I run them at low pressure, ~19 psi on a 35mm rim and they handle great in anything from mud to loose over hardpack. Tubeless was a cinch on Velocity tubeless ready rims.
    I have not run mine as a rear tire either and will be giving the new GOMA a try in the rear with the Gato out front. During the winter I run the Purg Control in back and the combo is quite good rolling wise. For how aggressive the Gato is and the size of the knobs the thing rolls incredibly well and has very little rolling resistance. I still have a good amount of tread on mine and at the weight they come in at normally (right around 760g for the 2.3") I am surprised more people dont run them. I am excited to get the Goma and throw these on the bike and eventually my new trailbike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just levered a 2.3 Gato onto the front of my Goblin. Can't wait to give it a try.

The Geax AKA that came on it were pretty good and I'm sticking with it on the rear but on the front it wanted to wash out a bit in loose corners.

mtbr member
    I think I might give these a shot. I was about to get Nevegals but everyone acts like the rolling resistance is so bad you can't even turn them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Geax Gato

Quote Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
    I just levered a 2.3 Gato onto the front of my Goblin. Can't wait to give it a try.

The Geax AKA that came on it were pretty good and I'm sticking with it on the rear but on the front it wanted to wash out a bit in loose corners.
    I run this combo on a single speed and it's great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I run this combo on a single speed and it's great.
    You're killing me. Rain has the trails closed here so I haven't gotten to try it yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Geax Gato

Quote Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
    You're killing me. Rain has the trails closed here so I haven't gotten to try it yet.
    Be happy. We could go up in smoke at any second in California!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Re: Geax Gato

Be happy. We could go up in smoke at any second in California!
    I just wish it would rain during the work week and not on my 4 day weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

banned
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post
    Never tried the Gato as a rear tire yet. How's it roll as a rear? I also have a Geax Saguaro mounted tubeless on a front wheel, but haven't put it on the bike yet. I hear a lot of good comments on the Saguaro in general so I'm excited to try it as well. The Gato has really made a good first impression of Geax tires for me.
    Here's my setup for wet riding, Gato (r), Ardent (f) on P-35's.

Even with 2+" of rain on Thursday/Friday the trails held up and this proved to be a great combo. When wet, or x-chunky the Gato is hard to beat, and for regular conditions the Sagauro is one of my go-to rear tires. Both are fast, durable, and fairly cheap. (non TNT on Flows or P-35's)
    Never tried them as a front, but am psyched to check the Goma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Gato tubeless failure!!

Picked up a pair of 2.1 folding (not TNT) to use for the late winter mud riding here in the Pac NW. My new Tallboy came with Maxxis Ikons not up to the muck. Anyway...

The Tallboy came set up already tubeless with WTB rims and the Ikons sealed great. The Gatos also sealed up easily and were great for 6-7 rides. Then on a very mild log crossing the rear tire blew completely off the rim. Not a burp, but full flat. WTF? Get it home, hit it with the compressor, seals right up again. All is well.

Went for one very mild/non-techical ride with no issues. One the next ride, the rear tire again blows off after about 10 minutes of rooty single track. Pissed! Threw a tube in and now on my way. 10 minutes later I come off a 2' jump on a level section of trail with some decent speed (not crazy speed) and upon landing the FRONT tire blows off the rim causing a hell of a crash into a large tree. OWWWWWWW!!!!! W-T-F!!!!?????

I have mounted up dozens of tubeless tires on many rims and never had such issues running Stans for many many miles of riding. Any ideas? Why would they be good for several rides THEN fail? It's dried out so the IKONs are going back on. Perhaps I will need to run these with tubes come next rainy season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast