Thread: Geax Gato 2.3

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Geax Gato 2.3

I just put these on both ends of the bike for the winter, I'm in LOVE. Great tire for all around winter conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Good to hear- I'm planning to get a pair as well

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have the lighter folding carcass Very supple, roll well, nice round profile so the contact patch remains constant, no squirm. Me likey. Reminds me a lot of a more agressive version of the old zmax 2.35 fron back in the day.
    Last edited by sbd; 12-11-2012 at 07:00 AM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I run the TNT version on the front of my Yelli. Friggin' awesome tire, relatively inexpensive and tough as nails. To me, the tread doesn't LOOK exceptional, but it certainly performs really well. I found the sidewall to be pretty stiff and I run it tubeless at a lower pressure than most other tires, ~20 psi for the front. Would be interested in trying it on the rear, too.

mtbr member
    I run the TNTs too, tubeless on my rigid 29er. I'm about 190 lbs geared up, and I run them at about 20 lbs. Great tire, a little heavy, but we can't have everything, right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    any pics mounted up folks?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    From afar...
    Geax Gato 2.3-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355186100.955557.jpg

Up close...
    Geax Gato 2.3-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355186221.322110.jpg

Another...
    Geax Gato 2.3-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355186308.455434.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    I run the TNTs too, tubeless on my rigid 29er. I'm about 190 lbs geared up, and I run them at about 20 lbs. Great tire, a little heavy, but we can't have everything, right?
    Agreed, but while I'm not running TNTs, I am running about 22psi front and back with Stan's NoTubes on my rigid and love the connection to the trail. Great tire.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Not running the tnt ether. Folding with tubes...about 28 psi works well for my 195# carcass on my HT.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Non TNT, 22lb tubeless on the rear of my rigid. Pairs nicely with a 2.35 Nobby Nic on the front. Rolls well for a knobby, good traction, 776gm, holds air well, sheds mud as well as the NN.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a TNT on the front and run it about 18psi tubeless and really like it and it has great traction. I weigh about 190 and this tire performs much, much better for me when I really drop the pressure low. I run an AKA TNT in the back at about 22psi and it does well too. This is definitely my favorite combo and the tires have been tough, which was very important after ripping several tires in a row. Great deal too.

Short-Change-Hero
    Another vote for an exceptional tire. In the NV high desert this thing is perfect for everything I throw at it. Running it up front right now with a 2.2" Purgatory Control in the back and during the summer I run its little brother the Saguaro in the rear. Both are definitely exceptional combos and have not disappointed.

When I was running my GATO tubeless I was running it at ~18psi with 22psi rear. Now they are tubed and I am running the front at about 24PSI and still a great tire. These will like have an eternal home on my bike.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    I had heard these didn't play well with Stan's rims set up tubeless. Old info? I'm looking for something to run in the back of my rigid SS that has good volume. I run the WW LT 2.55 at 22 psi tubeless and the Ardent 2.4 up front at 18 psi. I weigh 190.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    I had heard these didn't play well with Stan's rims set up tubeless. Old info? I'm looking for something to run in the back of my rigid SS that has good volume. I run the WW LT 2.55 at 22 psi tubeless and the Ardent 2.4 up front at 18 psi. I weigh 190.
    The TNT version is nearly impossible to fit to the new, 2nd generation Stans BST design (Crest, Ex models). The folding bead without the sidewall protection and the not official tubeless bead does work well with the new Stan's rims, just the sidewalls are somewhat thin IME

mtbr member
    I have the old Flows, not the EX model. If Geax will work with this bead, I'll probably try the Saguaro also. Thanks.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It should work then, but will be very tight. Perhaps someone who has personal experience with TNT's on the old stan's can chime in...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I run the TNT Gato tubeless on an old-style Flow. Be prepared for a battle. If you can get that tire on with plastic tire levers, God love you. I ended up using those DH-style long metal tire levers to force the tire on the rim. Once it's on, tubeless setup is a snap; it seals right up.

Should mention, if you're looking for volume, it's still hard to beat a 2.4 Ardent. The 2.3 Gato is definitely smaller/less volume than the Ardent on the same rims (I run both on my Yelli Screamy).

mtbr member
    Folding Gatos on my (non-EX) Flows fit fine. With tubes I run 20psi (I weigh 215) and they are nice and cushy. They roll pretty well and have good bite. A bit of side deflection, but only at low speed. Nice tires, nice weight, good price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Geax Gato 2.3-img_1851.jpeg