Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Gearing help for climbing.

I'm looking for some help in regards to gearing for climbing. The trails I typically ride have some fairly steep climbs(for me anyway) and I could use some help. I currently have a 14' Trek Fuel EX8 3x10 42/32/24 Shimano HG62 11-36, 10 speed and I never use the big ring. What could I do to make climbing a bit easier?

Thanks,

Scott
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp (On order)
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    22 front chainring or 41 tooth add on for your casette. There are now a few options out there. Or both.

mtbr member
    shimano-deore-m612-10-speed-triple-chainset
    A unique 40-30-22t ring combination

There are 20t granny gears around that can be fitted with a few modifications.

You can also get larger rear cogs 40/42 that can be fitted to the cassette.

General-Lee-Wide-range-Cassette-Adapter-First-Look-2013

Ditch the 29er and go back to 26 inch wheels.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Easy and cheap change would be a 22 tooth granny. I'd have to think that any lower than a 22X36, trying to keep the front wheel down or find traction for the rear wheel would be a bigger issue than turning the cranks.
    The 42 rear would in theory work with a 2X10 front. A 3X10 would exceed the derailleur capacity.

mtbr member
    I do alot of steep climbs also. I changed my 2x10 to a 1x10 using a wolf's tooth components 30 tooth front ring and with the 11-36 seems to be the ticket. even some of the flats i ride with the 30-11 i can still hit 20mph on the flats. Wolf is coming out with a 42 tooth rear cog that i plan on getting just in case i need more, I'm hoping he decides to release a 40 tooth cog. I think going this route would be your best bang for the buck.

Drop-Stop Chainrings wolf's site
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jammin View Post
    I do alot of steep climbs also. I changed my 2x10 to a 1x10 using a wolf's tooth components 30 tooth front ring and with the 11-36 seems to be the ticket. even some of the flats i ride with the 30-11 i can still hit 20mph on the flats. Wolf is coming out with a 42 tooth rear cog that i plan on getting just in case i need more, I'm hoping he decides to release a 40 tooth cog. I think going this route would be your best bang for the buck.

Drop-Stop Chainrings wolf's site
    Did you change your Stump Jumper to 1 x 10 ?
    Last edited by PauLCa916; 01-26-2014 at 10:41 AM.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PauLCa916 View Post
    Did you change your Stump Jumper top 1 x 10 ?
    Both bikes are 1x10 now.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

SCRUBDUNKER
    Ride more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    Ride more.
    Brilliant! If only it were that easy.

I feel as though it's easier to climb on my fat bike then the Fuel. I think I will go talk to my LBS and sort it out.

Thanks to those who provided helpful feedback.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    Ride more.

I feel as though it's easier to climb on my fat bike then the Fuel. I think I will go talk to my LBS and sort it out.

Thanks to those who provided helpful feedback
    What he probably meant was your body just has to get conditioned to it. The 24:36 gearing you have now is truly pretty low. Most bikes are going to be set up with a 22 or 24 granny and a 34 or 36 large rear cog. Those are all pretty low gearing. It very well may be a technique and/or conditioning issue. If you don't feel that is the issue and you just need a lower gear other's here have given you some good options to explore. Hope you get it worked out and have better climbing days in your future.

Attack Position
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    shimano-deore-m612-10-speed-triple-chainsetDitch the 29er and go back to 26 inch wheels.
    Interesting to note that the bikes in your link had 26" wheels.
    Lone biker of the apocalypse.

SCRUBDUNKER
    Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post

Thanks to those who provided helpful feedback.
    It is. As the guy above says, dude, 24x36 is super, super, super low. Unless you are riding up the Eiger Nordwand; it's the engine, not the car.

ready to ride
    I have to agree at 24x 36 you have already reached diminishing returns. Sure I drop down there every now and then just so I can stay on my bike but truth be told you are just as fast or faster pushing. Typically for me I expend more energy pedaling at that ratio than pushing. I actually find going down to 24x 34 or 32 has a lot more benefit. Yeah it's tougher but you (I) cover more ground in the long run compared to the energy expelled. Just keep at, some of it is just getting used to it.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

AZ
    banned
    Stand up and pedal a higher gear. I know that it is counter to what your asking for but try it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    I have to agree at 24x 36 you have already reached diminishing returns. Sure I drop down there every now and then just so I can stay on my bike but truth be told you are just as fast or faster pushing. Typically for me I expend more energy pedaling at that ratio than pushing. I actually find going down to 24x 34 or 32 has a lot more benefit. Yeah it's tougher but you (I) cover more ground in the long run compared to the energy expelled. Just keep at, some of it is just getting used to it.
    Yep, it's so low that if one can not make the climb or keep going up the slope, it'd be better to simply walk it, you'll go faster. If you stepped UP to a 2t bigger front ring, you'd notice for a few weeks that you couldn't make a few climbs, and over that period you'd adapt and then be able to ride the same climbs as before. I've done this both ways and it's not the "solution" that people think it is.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Even with 22 front and 34 cog is easy go uphills...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    At least half of these responses were no help to the OP. He wants lower gearing. Sure, maybe riding more will help in the long run, but he wants to know how to get a lower gear ratio now. Maybe he is like me, and gets some satisfaction out of RIDING the really steep nasty climbs, and doesn't care if walking is faster. I ride a 29er with 22-36 gearing and sometimes wish for more, just to get over that last root or rock when my legs are toast.

To the OP, get a 22t front which will bolt on, or a 20 which might take some minor filing to make it fit, but is well worth the effort. Going from 24 to 22 wont be as noticeable as going to a 20t front. Also lose the big ring and get a bash guard, here in the east the extra clearance for going over **** is quite noticeable.

Yes you can get 40 or 42 tooth cassette cogs but they are really expensive. A 20t granny will cost about $20 on ebay and BBG makes great bash guards for about the same cost.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tomboyjr View Post
    At least half of these responses were no help to the OP. He wants lower gearing. Sure, maybe riding more will help in the long run, but he wants to know how to get a lower gear ratio now. Maybe he is like me, and gets some satisfaction out of RIDING the really steep nasty climbs, and doesn't care if walking is faster. I ride a 29er with 22-36 gearing and sometimes wish for more, just to get over that last root or rock when my legs are toast.

To the OP, get a 22t front which will bolt on, or a 20 which might take some minor filing to make it fit, but is well worth the effort. Going from 24 to 22 wont be as noticeable as going to a 20t front. Also lose the big ring and get a bash guard, here in the east the extra clearance for going over **** is quite noticeable.

Yes you can get 40 or 42 tooth cassette cogs but they are really expensive. A 20t granny will cost about $20 on ebay and BBG makes great bash guards for about the same cost.

Tell us about riding a 20 x 36 on the steeps please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    Tell us about riding a 20 x 36 on the steeps please.
    Can't tell you about a 20, but there are times when I use my 22 and am real glad I have it. Like when I've been doing lots of steep climbing, am worn out, am still doing steep climbing, and want to keep riding as opposed to walking. When I want to go on a hike, I leave the bike at home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomboyjr View Post

Exactly, thank you!
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    I am happy to carry around and occasionally use a 22/34 low gear on my 26er Top Fuel. That's would be the same as a 21/36 on your 29er.

As the guy above said, get a 20t small ring. Also, on days when I do a lot of climbing I pump up my shock high enough to all but eliminate any pedal bob. Then I leave the suspension active on climbs to get better traction and a smoother ride. I run 2.4 wide tires at low 20's psi for additional traction. Spinning out is a common problem here on the steepest climbs.

I also use long'ish bar ends. I like the forward position on long climbs. Also, I have dislocated my shoulder a few times and being able to change my hand position on long rides is absolutely golden. Again, not everyone's cup of tea, but they might work for you if you have never tried them.

Having a super low granny gear is something I would never appologize for. I prefer to sit in the saddle and spin higher rpms on the longer climbs, so small gears work for me.

As for hills - this is where I live and ride.
    Name:  Karst-Mountains-in-Yangshuo_Beautiful-landscape_3115.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  137.9 KB

mtbr member
    I see on the Giant (international) site that the current Advanced Anthem 29er ships with 24/28 combo on the front. My 2012 model has 26/38 combo. I know it is a small difference, but at age 62 I need all the help I can get, so I have ordered a new set of rings to get the lower gear. We will see if it is worth it.

mtbr member
    From a Clyde that's not near in the shape of most these guys. 22t is about as low as u want to go. I run 11-34 rear and the 22 I have traction issues or really gotta get my weight toward or I flip backwards ( not fun did it once landed on my ass ) but I have alot of leg strength.

Personally I run a 24 in front now as I spin slower and use strength instead. I found stand and mash makes life so much easier on steep stuff. Granny gears for me are for mid lvl longer climbs as by the end of them im cranking slow as **** in as low as I can go just to push myself as far as I can or make it over the top.

I'd say over try all different options, lower gears, stand and pedal etc. See what u like best. Lower gears may help or you may realize u hate it, so keep and open mind to all options to improve ur climbing. But physical conditioning will play a big part in anything u choose.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    shimano-deore-m612-10-speed-triple-chainset
    A unique 40-30-22t ring combination.
    ^^This...
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Another comment. Seems like everyone has their own opinion on what might be TOO LOW gearing. Take all that with a grain of salt, they don't know where you live or the terrain you ride, or your fitness level. I see a post that says a 1x10 with 30/34 is all anyone needs. I used a 28/34 last year and hated it. Went back to a 2x9 (yes 9 speed-lol). Also, not everyone on these forums rides several times a week (or more). Its winter here in the east, haven't been on the bike in a month.

You don't sound like a new rider, but sometimes telling a new rider to get more fit, or suck up the climbs, or that his current gearing is good enough, will discourage him enough to give up the sport. That's not good for our sport. In the 20 something years I've been riding, the advances made in bike design are amazing, and they wouldn't even be possible without the large numbers of riders that are buying all the latest and greatest. When I started riding, I rode with a club that had about 12 guys that would meet twice a week. Today that club has hundreds of members, and there are many others similar clubs all over the state.

I'm in CT, so no big mountains, but we still have SUPER steep short climbs. And my riding buddies and I love to try to climb them. We will stop at a steep hill and take turns trying to ride it until someone does. None of us race anymore and we ride for the fun of it. Its common for us to be riding at a popular spot and have a group of hammerheads fly by us. More power to 'em. We are in our late 40's and 50's now but have been riding since the early 90's. Also, I ride a 32 lb Kona Satori, not some flyweight racer.

Rant over-lol. Ride what you want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast