mtbr member
    Jan 2012

G2 Geometry..Can Someone Explain It To Me??

I've been looking for a fork for my new Intense build, and I keep coming across forks on eBay with G2 geometry. Can someone please explain just what the advantages, or disadvantages of this system are? The fork I'm looking at is 140mm travel.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I've been looking for a fork for my new Intense build, and I keep coming across forks on eBay with G2 geometry. Can someone please explain just what the advantages, or disadvantages of this system are? The fork I'm looking at is 140mm travel.
    Gary Fisher G2 Geometry - YouTube

Gary Fisher G2 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    G2 forks have a 51 mm offset the purpose of this is to reduce the "Trail" of the fork so the bike will stear quicker. The reason they do this is two fold.
    1) A G2 Bike (Gary Fisher / Trek 29er) will typically have a longer front triangle therefore making the entire wheel base longer. They do this so you can run a shorter stem which also results in quicker handling.

2) The G2 Gemetry uses a Slack head angle (for XC purposes) of 69.5 degrees. This paired with the overall longer wheel base makes for a stable ride. In order to make that 69.5 degrees appear to stear quicker they install the 51 mm offset fork.

I do not know how a 51mm offset fork will work on a Non G2 Frame, but I would bet that most people either would not notice it or if they do, it would be favorable.

My personal opininon of G2 Frames / Fork are that I like it if I ride a frame smaller than I would from another mfg. Example: I really like my small GF Rig, but have had a hard time adapting to my Medium Superfly. I believe that had I purchased a Small Superfly, I would love it. Yet when I ride a Medium Santacruz Highball it fits like a glove and rips (it's a quick handling bike).

psycho cyclo addict
    I rode a G2 Gary Fisher Rig single speed (medium) for ~10 months (along with three other large 29er's: Turner Sultan dual suspension 120mm fork, Fuji Tahoe SL geared hard tail 90+ mm fork and more recently a Niner S.I.R. 9 single speed hard tail with rigid steel fork).

The G2 offset supposedly gives the rider more control at low and high speeds. I did not notice a dramatic difference between the Rig and my other 29er's. There are some who run a G2 fork on other frames but I would not recommend it due to increasing the chances of odd handling behavior resulting from different frame geometry design.

Warrior's Society
    It was a bigger difference when 29er forks had a 38mm offset. Now that it seems like everybody has gone to 46mm offset, the 51mm G2 is not as big of a deal.

I have spent considerable time on a GF Paragon and several non-G2 frames using a G2 fork....did not hinder the non-G2 frames at all.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I agree the offset difference is not that large anymore.
    I have run a G2 superfly and a G2 fork on non G2 bikes.
    I swapped a G2 in place of an old Reba on a Bianchi Rita, bike was notably quicker, not twitchy, I would call it an improvement (71.5 HA if I recall).
    I now run a G2 on a Richey P-29 (? 70.5HA), I have not run a different fork so I can't compare directly, but it rides nicely.
    On a side note I loved my Rita, that said the Richey is a great improvement. I was a skeptic, but steel makes a clear difference, mo better.