Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Full SRAM X9 or full Shimano XT ???

Hi there!
    =======

I'm riding a Rumblefish, full X7 and like it a lot.
    I'm planning to sell the RF for a more agressive 29er, and upgrade the drivetrain to a full X9 or full XT.

As I mentioned, I like the X7 so I thought about upgrading to X9, but also heard and read good reviews about the XT.

Which drivetrain would you get?
    Which SRAM drivetrain is Shimano XT equivalent? X9 or X0?

Posted this thread on drivetrain forum too.

Thanks, Mo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    XT has the only brakes I would use, although SLX is the same if I was buying individual components. Clutch rear derailleurs are a big improvement. The Shadow Plus rear derailleur doesn't have a clicking problem showing up on some Type 2 Sram derailleurs. Again SLX is the same as XT. I would choose XT shifters over SLX, but an SLX crank.
    Shimano chain in 10sp over Sram for longevity. XT cluster over SLX for the larger carrier.
    Check pricing at bikecomponents.de Tires too.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth I am super impressed with the X9 shifter and rear derailleur on my bike. Very solid shifting, and super easy to setup.
    I really don't think you could go wrong with either XT or X9.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I hate to say it but this thread is a waste of time. It's personal preference. I rode Avid/Sram and like the Shimano XT much better.

The one thing that I think a lot of people will agree on is avoid Avid brakes. There are some that love them, but a large group that doesn't. Search the Specialized forum, after having them on my FSR, I'll never own another set of Avid brakes.

With that said about the breaks, if you want to use the single clamp systems for either of them you have to have the same brand shifters and brakes. So that to me makes it an easy decision, Shimano with ISpec shifter levers.
    It's nice to clean up the bars and have a single clamp.

Eventually if you want to use a dropper post, having a single clamp also helps getting the dropper level in a better position.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 07-06-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Carbon & Ti rule
    It will cost a little more to do but what I am doing for 1 of my friends is using his X9 cranks & fitting a 28 Wolf tooth chain ring, X9 type 2 Rear derailieur & X9 shifter, X01 10-42 cassette but just using the 1st 10 gears 11-42

I have tried this with the XX1 cassette & it works fine.

I use & like my Avid XX brakes, But every set of the cheaper Avid brakes I have ridden have been ****, I use XT's on my wifes bike's & they are the best bang for your buck anywhere IMO.

Prime
    My .02, X9 shifters and derailleurs, XT crankset and brakes. But, as mentioned by several above, it really is personal preference. I don't worry too much about single clamp setups, I single finger brake and don't want my brake lever position tied to my shifter location, up and down or in and out. Use a KS dropper and ODI grips, and your dropper lever is not an issue either. As far as "cleaning up clutter on your handlebars", can't say as I much give a sh!t.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    My .02, X9 shifters and derailleurs, XT crankset and brakes. But, as mentioned by several above, it really is personal preference. I don't worry too much about single clamp setups, I single finger brake and don't want my brake lever position tied to my shifter location, up and down or in and out. Use a KS dropper and ODI grips, and your dropper lever is not an issue either. As far as "cleaning up clutter on your handlebars", can't say as I much give a sh!t.
    You should give them a try on someone else's bike if you get a chance. I've had Matchmakers and ISpec, and single finger brake and never had a problem getting the lever in the right place.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I usually ride SRAM, but I will likely switch to Shimano SLX/XT on my next bike.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You should give them a try on someone else's bike if you get a chance. I've had Matchmakers and ISpec, and single finger brake and never had a problem getting the lever in the right place.
    It really is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned, I couldn't care any less if I have 1 clamp, or 2 on my bars.

Rub it............
    I've ridden both as I work for a LBS. It's personal preference IME. My preference is Sram over Shimano for MTB stuff.

But I will agree as far as brakes go. Shimano SLX's or XT's

mtbr member

Re: Full SRAM X9 or full Shimano XT ???

My bike I built up last year was full XT. Upgraded bikes again this year and went SRAM XX1... but with XTR brakes.
    One thing that was nice about the XT rear shifter is that you can either push the small lever with your thumb or pull it with your index finger to shift to a harder gear. SRAM is push only. I found myself shifting either with my thumb or index finger when I had the XT shifter depending on the situation. Kind of nice to have that. I have missed it a few times with the SRAM shifters.
    Other than that, and other than the XT brakes being AWESOME, I don't think you can go wrong either way.
    Oh, and SRAM trends to be a little lighter, I think, if that matters to you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Shimano. I've used both but the deciding factor for me is as alberdc mentioned above, being able to use my index finger to shift the small lever. For me, it makes shifting easier and quicker.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    Hi there!Which drivetrain would you get?
    Coke or Pepsi?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

I'm surprised no one mentioned "it all boils down to looks." That's what it's really all about IMO. I've used avids for 5 years now and as long as you use metallic or semi metallic pads and bleed them properly they work great with zero brake fade. Mind you I'm a xc racer and never ridden dh or am.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Go for XT you worth regret it, The shadow+ rear mech is awesome. Mine I went mix of Shimano XT and XTR.
    Full SRAM X9 or full Shimano XT ???-photo-1.jpg

MTB B'dos
    Absolute personal preference, except as said when it comes to the brakes, then for sure Shimano. I prefer shimano, I and my thumbs prefer Shimano Rapid Rise, hence I stick to 9spd, all personal preference.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Here's another wrinkle: I *love* SRAM gripshift. I run XT on my trail bike, but X9 with Gripshift on my 1x9 hardtail.

I've used both SRAM and Shimano... I went to SRAM because I liked how the triggers work better. Now I went to an XO 10spd gripshift and 1x10... and friggin love it. Using an X9 medium cage clutch derailleur in back. No dropped chains, no sound... smooooooth.

Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    SRAM X9 would be equivalent to Shimano XT... SRAM XO & XX (xx usually only carbon) would be equivalent to Shimano XTR

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Problem Solvers MisMatch adapters allow mounting SRAM shifters and Shimano brakes to the same clamp. Of course you could just use separate clamps. Either way brake selection doesn't affect your drivetrain choice.

I prefer the SRAM trigger shifters, but it is personal preference. They both work great. Try both and see which you like better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'll enjoy them both: gonna run X9 drivetrain (rear der & shifters) and XT brakes.

Mo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    In my experience sram component doesn't last compared to shimano. I've upgraded from X0 to XT/XTR, because the carbon crank arm of X0 lasted only for 6 months after bashing it on rocks and few crashes. X0 shifter lasted only 1 month. SRAM cassette only lasted for 4 months. The only thing that I like with their SRAM is the Type Rear mech, which makes removal of wheel a little bit easier.

The good thing about XT,its built quality is superb and very durable. I never had issues with XTR shadow+ rear mech, XT crank & Shifters & breaks after nasty crash. It work almost new.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I used all X9 but not the brakes, I used Hope for my braking system. On my FS I have SLX shifters and brakes with XT front and rear derailluers.

mtbr member
    Making the jump from X7 to X9 will barely be noticeable. Performance with both are great and if you are not racing or counting grams it shouldn't make a huge difference.

XT will be different but not necessarily better. I have rode X9, X0, XT and XTR components and they are all great. My wifes bike has X5 stuff on it and it works perfectly.

It all comes down to which type of shifters you want, how much you are willing to spend, your weight goals, and how important bling factor is to you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Like many have stated. Strictly a personal choice as we all ride in very different ways. I started with Shimano after much reading, but can't comment against Sram, as I've never tried it. I'm sure it's comparable. There's just a ton of bikes out there with their product on them. I do see Shimano builds (XT/XTR) seem pricier. JMHO and I'm no expert...lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I rode SRAM for the past 5 years, Loved it, My New Bikes this year are all Shimano XT.....I love that too.....I think it's a push really.

However XT Brakes, are "THE" best brake I've ever used.
    Climbing Builds Character

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast