mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Fuel Ex fork upgrade advice needed...

Hi all,

I'm in the midst of some upgrades before spring, and the final thing I want to change on my Fuel Ex 5 29er is the fork. It has a stock XC32 atm, so want to go upgrade to air.

I have been searching ebay for a long time, missing out on some G2 specific 'take off' forks by a little bit here, and have finally got so frustrated that I am going to buy new. The issue is that in Switzerland, buying a G2/51mm offset fork from a Trek dealer is eye wateringly expensive, so I have turned my sights to some online shops.

I'm now hopelessly confused - I just don't know if I'd see more of a difference with a Reba or Revelation, to save my money for a Fox - or go for a 'left field' choice like a Manitou Tower Pro;

CRC currently have the Manitou Tower Pro, 120mm, Tapered, 15mm for 276CHF/260USD on promo for January - I am sorely tempted.

I commute mainly fire roads, woodland paths, with some climbs and light trail riding at the weekends.

Any info and help appreciated!
    2013 Trek Slash 7 (26)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc2211 View Post

I'm now hopelessly confused - I just don't know if I'd see more of a difference with a Reba or Revelation, to save my money for a Fox - or go for a 'left field' choice like a Manitou Tower Pro;

CRC currently have the Manitou Tower Pro, 120mm, Tapered, 15mm for 276CHF/260USD on promo for January - I am sorely tempted.
    !
    The Manitou has 48mm offset so it is close. It has very good adjustment range including very good small bump compliance. For 2014 they offer a 51mm version. I'd go with the CRC deal on price.
    The Reba has bad small bump compliance. SID or Revelation in 2014 have a new Motion Control DNA damper to get over this problem. RLT is the most adjustable version in each. 51mm offset may be available for 2014.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well, it looks like the choice was taken out of my hands - I just put in a very tentative low 'best price' bid (225$ less than the buy it now) on a 'new take off' 2013 Rockshox Revelation RCT3 on eBay , and very surprisingly it got accepted.

It is non-G2, but as I already have a non-G2 Rockshox XC32 on my X-Cal and like the handling - I think I prefer it in fact. I actually like the added stability over the slight oversteer feel I had with the G2, and do mainly XC and mild singletrack, so probably won't notice the difference.

I got the RCT3 for only 100$ more than the Manitou, so it seems like it was a good deal. Now to wait the 10 days for delivery to make sure it is as described!
    2013 Trek Slash 7 (26)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Because of lack of small bump compliance, RockShox has upgraded the damper unit for 2014. $170 for the more adjustable RLT Motion Control DNA part that goes right in. There is also a rebound circuit upgrade for $90 that helps with mid stroke performance.