Front wheel set up for a rigid (semi-fat and fat related)

I've got a Jones, currently set up with a P35 front on Ardent's. I've got an extra Whub that I was planning on building a Knarded Rabbit Hole (or similar 40mm+ 29er rim). I'm second-guessing this idea, as it may provide a very similar ride to my current set up (with same tires. I can mount Knards on P35's, apparently). I'm wondering if I should just go full fat ala Rollin Darryl or Marge Lite.

I'm in Utah and like the chunk. Buff singletracks, loose elk turd-sized rocks, fast/flowy downhills.

I would love to try them all out, but all this isn't too cheap. Thanks for any input.

mtbr member

Clownshoe

A Clownshoe and a Nate will fit the truss fork. That is what I have on the Jugsley.

I am running a 72mm and a Big Fat Larry on my Ti Jones and a 50mm with a Larry on my Fe Jones. Both have the truss fork. I recommend going fat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front wheel set up for a rigid (semi-fat and fat related)-ditch-witch.jpg  

Front wheel set up for a rigid (semi-fat and fat related)-bfl.jpg  

mtbr member
    I got this thread bookmarked as I may do a fat front setup some day. Might provide some inspiration.

Fat Front Set-Ups: Post Your Pics
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Tripower - Nice collection! Of the three, big (50mm), fat (72mm) and the obese (100mm), which do you prefer? I'm leaning more towards a Marge Lite (65mm) with a Nate.

mtbr member
    I'm on a Jones 50mm front rim and a Husker Du tire. I'm going to go Rabbit Hole because I don't have a 29er front wheel. Were I in your shoes, I'd consider the full fat. I would go Marge Lite.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Thanks, bluestate. I think that's what I'll do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Tripower - Nice collection! Of the three, big (50mm), fat (72mm) and the obese (100mm), which do you prefer? I'm leaning more towards a Marge Lite (65mm) with a Nate.

It depends upon where you plan to ride. If soft, sandy conditions are not where you are riding, then any of the rims are fine. The Marge Lite will be just fine.