Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Meat Clever

Front Tire with Cornering Traction!

I need a light-weight, relatively high-volume front tire with good cornering grip. Tubeless on a FS 29er. I currently have a Nevegal and love the cornering grip, but it is a pig and rolls like a tank tread. Other tires I have used and liked, but that don't hold in the corners well enough included:
    Ardent 2.25 and 2.4 (love the feel of the 2.4 and perceived/real low rolling resistance)
    Nobby Nic 2.25 (nice and light, but need just a bit more cornering traction)
    Bontrager 2.3FR (hated it - routinely washed out in the corners)

So, what do you recommend?

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hans Dampf is the obvious choice based on that info. Great tire.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDummy View Post
    I need a light-weight, relatively high-volume front tire with good cornering grip. Tubeless on a FS 29er. I currently have a Nevegal and love the cornering grip, but it is a pig and rolls like a tank tread. Other tires I have used and liked, but that don't hold in the corners well enough included:
    Ardent 2.25 and 2.4 (love the feel of the 2.4 and perceived/real low rolling resistance)
    Nobby Nic 2.25 (nice and light, but need just a bit more cornering traction)
    Bontrager 2.3FR (hated it - routinely washed out in the corners)

So, what do you recommend?

TIA
    How light-weight do you consider light-weight for a high-volume front 29"er tire - in grams that is? The Nic 2.35 outperforms the 2.25 on the front (as does the Ardent 2.4 over the 2.25).

Have you tried one of the new Racing Ralph 2.35's up front? It's supposed to be around 620g and with a nice low psi - should/could provide light-weight, fast, reasonable grip for your needs (works for me, but I'm XCing it in fairly buff conditions most of the time). Otherwise, you are going to have to probably go up into the 700+ grams category - Nic, Ardent, Hans Dampf, Rampage, etc... until some other tires are released.

Meat Clever
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    How light-weight do you consider light-weight for a high-volume front 29"er tire - in grams that is? The Nic 2.35 outperforms the 2.25 on the front (as does the Ardent 2.4 over the 2.25).

Have you tried one of the new Racing Ralph 2.35's up front? It's supposed to be around 620g and with a nice low psi - should/could provide light-weight, fast, reasonable grip for your needs (works for me, but I'm XCing it in fairly buff conditions most of the time). Otherwise, you are going to have to probably go up into the 700+ grams category - Nic, Ardent, Hans Dampf, Rampage, etc... until some other tires are released.
    Ideally, it would be around 700-750 grams max. The Hans Dampf is 850g, so not much improvement over the Nev, at least in terms of weight. Perhaps I'll try a 2.35 Nobby Nic. I liked the 2.25, but need better traction. While I haven't tried one, it seems the tread pattern of the RR would not provide sufficient traction?

davidcarson48
    What pressure where you running in the NN? When i dropped from 25 down to 20, it really came to life.

Meat Clever
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    What pressure where you running in the NN? When i dropped from 25 down to 20, it really came to life.
    18 to 22

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Specialized control for front, grips like a fat kids hand on a twinki.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ideally, it would be around 700-750 grams max. The Hans Dampf is 850g, so not much improvement over the Nev, at least in terms of weight. Perhaps I'll try a 2.35 Nobby Nic. I liked the 2.25, but need better traction. While I haven't tried one, it seems the tread pattern of the RR would not provide sufficient traction?
    Specialized Purgatory Control 2.3 @755g.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Picked up a Bontrager 29-4 on sale at my local Trek shop and it's a pretty great front tire so far...around 800 grams for top o' the line model.

Bontrager: 29-4 (Model #09477)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    + 1 on the Purgatory. I am currently running a Nevegal on the front and love it as well. Best cornering tire I have used to date...
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    2 words

Hans Dampf

great on both the volume and traction fronts, the extra confidence to tackle turns faster and ability to soak up bumps will make you faster even though it's a heavier tire.

Meat Clever
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    This might be the ticket...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've tried the Nobby Nic up front and didn't like it. At the end of the season I was running a Racing Ralph up front and a Race King in the back both at 22 Lbs.

mtbr member
    Purgatory S-Works 2.3 is even lighter at 730g...it is closer to a 2.2 than a 2.3 in size but does corner well.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

short timer
    Jul 2008
    I wound up with a Specialized Ground Control 2.1 as a front tire. I was skeptical at first but it has turned out to be a great front tire. I'm not sure if they make it any bigger. I'm running it tubeless. I might move it to the back and try a Purgatory up front.

Perpetual n00b
    This! Purg 2.3 up front seems to excel in all conditions including snow.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    +1 on the Purgatory 2.3 as a front tire....I am running the S works version tubless....excellent choice for all around traction and control. I am running a Captain control 2.0 on the rear....The S works version side wall is to thin to run as a rear tire in my area.

I also like the Schwalbe Nobby Nic, as a second choice.
    Last edited by borbntm; 01-24-2013 at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Purgatory S-Works 2.3 is even lighter at 730g...it is closer to a 2.2 than a 2.3 in size but does corner well.
    Well about the Sworks, For the 20 grams I don't think it's worth it.

I ran Sworks tires for years on my 2000 SWorks FSR, so when I got my Tallboy I asked about them and most of the responses were positive with a few that are exactly what I'm about to say-- sidewalls way too thin and cut too easy.

I didn't make 3 miles on my first ride before I had a cut in the side wall that was too large for the sealant to seal.

Used the warranty to swap them out for non Sworks. Months on the same trails and not a problem.

Take it for what it's worth.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Well about the Sworks, For the 20 grams I don't think it's worth it.

I ran Sworks tires for years on my 2000 SWorks FSR, so when I got my Tallboy I asked about them and most of the responses were positive with a few that are exactly what I'm about to say-- sidewalls way too thin and cut too easy.

I didn't make 3 miles on my first ride before I had a cut in the side wall that was too large for the sealant to seal.

Used the warranty to swap them out for non Sworks. Months on the same trails and not a problem.

Take it for what it's worth.

Good to know, thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    NoNi 2.25 at low pressures has always felt confident for me. The only times ive had the front let loose what due to me being over confident or rider error. If you want higher volume, the 2.35 version would probably be a good choice. It's much larger then the 2.25.

Anything more you'll have to give up the chase for lightweight. I used to run the high roller with great luck. Ardent is good too. And even an ignitor never gave me problems.

We all have different opinions...so you might have the best luck buy using the tire swap thread. Should be able to trade for other options till you find the perfect grip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sac29 View Post
    I wound up with a Specialized Ground Control 2.1 as a front tire. I was skeptical at first but it has turned out to be a great front tire. I'm not sure if they make it any bigger. I'm running it tubeless. I might move it to the back and try a Purgatory up front.
    They also have a 2.3, both in 60 & 120 TPI. I am using the 2.1 60 TPI as well and I love it.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

Always Learning
    The new Ikon 2.35 has much better bite than the Ralph and the side lugs engage a bit sooner than the Nobby Nic in the corners. I couldn't mention it before, but now that it is up on the Maxxis website I can mention it. The non sidewall protection version is 665-685g, and with the EXO sidewall protection it is about 75-80g more. I've been loving it on the front of my JET 9 (prototype test tire that is) for 3 months.

When will it be shipping is the other question as it just went up on the website - so I don't know when it will be available.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This tire is great front and back, I have ridden most of the tires you mentioned in the orginal post and prefer these over all others.

TIOGA USA

Meat Clever
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    The new Ikon 2.35 has much better bite than the Ralph and the side lugs engage a bit sooner than the Nobby Nic in the corners. I couldn't mention it before, but now that it is up on the Maxxis website I can mention it. The non sidewall protection version is 665-685g, and with the EXO sidewall protection it is about 75-80g more. I've been loving it on the front of my JET 9 (prototype test tire that is) for 3 months.

When will it be shipping is the other question as it just went up on the website - so I don't know when it will be available.
    Just read the thread re: Maxxis 2013 tires and the 2.35 Ikon - intriguing

Meat Clever
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix View Post
    This tire is great front and back, I have ridden most of the tires you mentioned in the orginal post and prefer these over all others.

TIOGA USA
    It's a bit portly at ~800 g claimed weight and it does not seem to have any enhanced sidewall protection. I should have mentioned at the outset that I've torn too many conventional tire sidewalls to not use tires with strong casings (snakeskin, EXO, TLR, etc).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast