mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Front Derailleur XT 3x9

Currently I have Deore front deraillur, while I have XTR in the back (that's how it came on the bike when I bought it), and XT shifters. I have a 3x9 speed system.
    Is there any real different between Deore and XT in performance? Is so, which XT model would be? And I see there are top swing and bottom swing....which better model?
    Help!
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a xt on one of my bikes and a deore on another and really, I don't notice any difference in performance. The xt quality is better, but when both are properly working they both do the job. I would run what you have till it goes. As for top and bottom pull, it all depends on your cable routing and what your frame is designed for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My cable is coming from the top.

mtbr member
    You likely won't notice any difference in shifting between Deore and XT for the front deraileur.

Top/bottom swing are completely unrelated to top/bottom pull. The swing describes if the seat tube clamp is high or low (just to make it confusing, the higher mount is a bottom swing, and the low mount is top swing). The reason for having two different mounts is to make room for certain suspension designs. If you have space, the traditional, top mount (bottom swing) is usually a little stiffer, resulting in slightly better shifting.

Top/bottom pull describes whether the cable pulls from the top or the bottom. Almost all mountain bikes are top pull, and road bikes are bottom pull. Shimano MTB front derailleurs have an extra arm so that they can be either top or bottom pull.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Polk, thank you for the info. Looks like I will change when my Deore fail.