Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Free Hub Body - Noisy!

I just bought a new set of Stans ZTR Crest 29er rims with the stock 3.30 Disc hubs. The clacker or spring or whatever you call the piece in the free hub that makes the noise when you rotate the wheel is very loud. Actually it is the loudest one I have ever heard.

Can you buy a quieter replacement or just remove it altogether? Does removing it cause a problem? Can you modify the one it came with to make it so it does not wake the dead. I was trying to listen to my rear brake rotor to see if it was rubbing the pads but the free hub noise drowns it out

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Ride a wheel with a Hope freehub and you'll stop complaining...I think my 3.30 hub is quiet personally.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5, custom build
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    There are three pawls inside the freehub with small springs under them that push the pawl into the ratchet ring for engagement. What you are hearing is the pawls passing over the teeth of the ratchet ring as you coast.

You can open up the freehub and add a little Dumonde Tech freehub grease around the ratchet ring to quiet things down a bit. Over time the pawls will push the grease out of the way and the sound will gradually get louder. If you're not comfortable opening the hub, your local shop can assist.
    Please do not use the forum PM or e-mail function for business related questions. I can be contacted through our website. Thanks!

NoTubes.com

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
    There are three pawls inside the freehub with small springs under them that push the pawl into the ratchet ring for engagement. What you are hearing is the pawls passing over the teeth of the ratchet ring as you coast.

You can open up the freehub and add a little Dumonde Tech freehub grease around the ratchet ring to quiet things down a bit. Over time the pawls will push the grease out of the way and the sound will gradually get louder. If you're not comfortable opening the hub, your local shop can assist.
    I have the exact wheelset and they were LOUD, brand new. I did the grease trick a month ago and it made them almost silent. But after a few rides, the sound slowly came back.

I am happy to report however, that the sound is not super loud anymore after many rides since the hub regrease.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ive had the same issuses trying to listen to the bike with my Hope hub. I figured out the trick. Keep pedaling, and it's silent.

mtbr member
    The Stans 3.30 hubs are made by Chosen (same as the Sun Ringle hubs) and I would consider them medium on the loudness scale. If you came from Shimano (or similar Formula) type hubs then yes they will seem loud. As others have suggested you can pull the freehub body off quite easily and grease it with a low viscosity grease and it will quiet down a little, but only temporarily.

My best advice is either get used to it, or sell them and get a wheelset built up on Shimano hubs (or True Precision if you want to spend a lot of money, they are dead silent).
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post

Makes you wonder why they don't come with grease from the factory? I was thinking of ordering some wheels with this hub, now I don't know....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by treasureman View Post
    Makes you wonder why they don't come with grease from the factory? I was thinking of ordering some wheels with this hub, now I don't know....
    Because freehubs are not supposed to have thick grease in them, only light oil. The following from Park Tool:

"7. Use a liquid lubricant in the back side and front. Spin freehub to work lube inside."

I've also seen that instruction from Shimano.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    They do come greased, at least my Sun Ringle (again same manufacturer) hubs did...but I added more which did quiet them down for a ride or two before they just went back to their standard sound.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So those that are noisy were designed that way? Knowing that who would want to purchase a noisy freehub?

mtbr member
    So those that are noisy were designed that way? Knowing that who would want to purchase a noisy freehub?
    Some of the arguably best hubs made have a reputation for being loud, like Chris King. It has no bearing on performance or durability.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    They are not designed to be noisy, they are designed to function and be strong.

But that aside, there are options for many different types of hubs that make many different types of sounds. Some people like quiet which can be anything from dead silence of a True Precision ($$$$) to a relatively quiet DT Swiss ($$$-$$$$$) or Shimano ($-$$$).

On the otherhand many riders like a noisy hub. Some like the loud clack of a Hope ($$$), Stans ($$), or Sun-Ringle ($$) or the Angry Beehive sound of a Chris King ($$$$), Halo Supa Drive ($$), or I9 ($$$$).

The nice thing is that almost all these hubs are posted on Youtube so you can hear them before purchasing.

Blog

official eMpTyBRain
    Loud hubs do offer the benefit of making your presence known to hikers/bikers/riders on the trails with heavy brush or limited visibility when you are going down hill. A friend recently joked about my noisy hubs saying that I no longer needed to use my trail bell.

It ain't easy being Green
    It's easy to silence a noisy hub, simply remove the pawls; the noise stops immediately and permanently.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I didn't purposefully seek out a noisy hub. I looked for a hub that was reliable in the wet, robust under a borderline Clyde pedal masher, convertible to different axle standards and supported with readily available replacement parts. The hubs on that short list range from expensive to really expensive. I bought a Hope and followed the advice above: Keep pedaling until you're breathing so hard you can't here the free hub.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    FWIW I recently switched to the same Stan's setup and I thought they were incredibly noisy as well. The older stock setup (unknown hubs - Spec. Camber) was really quiet. However the stock setup was fairly heavy, and with a boat anchor of a cassette on it. I imagine going to the much lighter Stan's setup and the XTR cassette not only dropped a lot of weight, but that weight reduction came along with lighter pieces that didn't soak up the noise as well. I'm sure the design / shape of the pawls and the inside of that part of the hub play in as well.

I too have found that I can just let it coast a bit when I get near people on the path and they know I'm coming up behind them, so it can be kinda nice.

Anyhow - it's not just you or your bike, I too was surprised when i made the switch.

Kid disguised as an adult
    I've been using a new set of Stan's Arch EX wheels for a couple of weeks, after running an almost silent (but way heavy) set for the past year. At first I noticed the increased noise, though I've heard much worse. Now it really doesn't bother me, almost reminds me of Cicadas, and like others have said, it lets others know you're there.
    I'd suggest giving it some time and don't dwell on it while you're riding. Instead focus on how much better your bike rides and handles with a set of good wheels.
    Last edited by ric426; 08-24-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    If you turn the light on fast enough,
    you can see what the dark looks like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Anybody know what hubs the Police are using on their bikes these days?
    (not the musical group the Police.)
    i think they used to use Shimano Silent Clutch hubs at one time...but they weren't disc hubs.They had instant engagement and no clacks.
    ...so they could ride up on the bad guys undetected.
    ...No joke!
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

ballbuster
    I read somewhere that enduro bearing webbing grease works well. I was going to try it on my Hope Pro2 SS hub and see how that goes.

That stuff has this sticky stuff that is like snot. It sticks to everything, and the webby stuff pulls the grease back into itself instead of pushing out of the path of parts that touch each other.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    Ride a wheel with a Hope freehub and you'll stop complaining...I think my 3.30 hub is quiet personally.
    Agreed. I almost laughed (no offense) when I read the OP because when I went from a Stans rim built on a Hope hub to a Stand rim built on a Stans hub, my first thought was: "Wow, these Stans hubs are quiet!"
    Of course now I'm building new wheels with a Hope Pro 2 Evo hub, so I am preparing myself for true loudness!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A while back I found this article and got some grease mention here from an industrial supply store.
    Winterizing Your Freehub
    Bike Tools Etc. - 1000's of bicycle tools and parts for the home mechanic!
    this ^ is the tool that gets you into the pawls for servicing.
    zarr
    ***Here's an article about the grease.
    Fatbikes.com - Lubriplate Mag-1 Bike Hub Grease
    ...google it up for buying info.
    Last edited by zarr; 08-24-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looked it up and came up on an ebay hit for something similar (no relation to the seller, just the lowest cost link): Rock N Roll Super Web Grease | eBay

Anyone here tried it? Sounds interesting. Granted that doesn't mean it's better!

mtbr member
    Just mounted up my new set of the Stan's Arches......love the sound, my wife rides on DT Swiss 350's and I was always jealous of the sound......now I got her beat.....nice rims though

banned
    Mar 2004
    So this free hub noise is a problem? I don't get it.....(Yes, I have Hope Pro II EVO hubs. )sa

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I can't believe people are trying to get rid of the loud sound a hub makes. I have Hope Pro 2s and the sound is my favorite part. To me it sounds solid. I lover the melodic sound of those hubs humming down a long winding single track. A lot better than listening to chain slap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast