mtbr member

Fox Talas Tuning

I have had a 2011 29er Talas 95-120mm (Kashima) for a year and it is ready to be serviced.
    I have not been using the 95mm for some time now. I am 5'9" and about 135lbs.
    My current options:
    1. LBS service - $85.00 total
    2. Push Industries service - $179.00 + $15.00 shipping
    3. Push Industries service + Float conversion with custom tune = $279.00 + shipping

Since I don't use the travel option on Talas, I am considering to simplify the fork = better performance and fewer problems down the road. But it will cost me almost $300.00.
    Push Industries will also be able to custom tune it after the conversion to Float.
    They are not doing any custom tuning on the Talas at the moment.
    I have mentioned my weight, since I am on the "lighter" side and think the tuning might improve the fork significantly, as it did my Fox RP23.

What is your opinion?

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I did both my Float and RP23 with push a few years ago. It was about the same price difference.

I was open to the greater cost for a few reasons.

1. My LBS does a pretty good job, but they don't really service a ton of forks/shocks. This is pretty much all push does.

2. I never really felt like I was getting the most out of my suspension with the standard trial and error type tuning. These guys are tuning for many of the pros. Again, they have experience.

The results that came back were awesome. There was no way I was getting everything out of my old set up, I can tell this for sure now. Balance is way better now also. Add to this the fact that I had a broken rebound spring, didn't know, and it only cost a few extra bucks to get fixed and I am jazzed.

So my thought is all of my suspensions will go to push at least once. From there, the standard rebuild is not that bad.