mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Fox Float 29 RL 9mm QR vs 2012 Rock Shox Sid XX tapered G2 fork with a 15mm axl

I have a 2012 Trek Superfly AL Elite

I am considering upgrading to a 2012 Rock Shox Sid XX tapered G2 fork with a 15mm axle from the stock Fox Float 29 RL 9mm QR.

I know I will have to do some conversion to the Pro 2 Evo Hope Hubs.

Any experience with this? Weight savings?

Is there an advantage to 15mm axle compared to 9mm? Can anybody school me up on difference between the 2 QR's?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I believe the 15mm is stiffer. so I take it your bike does NOT have a 15mm thru axle like the giant xtc?

Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    I have a 2012 Trek Superfly AL Elite

I am considering upgrading to a 2012 Rock Shox Sid XX tapered G2 fork with a 15mm axle from the stock Fox Float 29 RL 9mm QR.

I know I will have to do some conversion to the Pro 2 Evo Hope Hubs.

Any experience with this? Weight savings?

Is there an advantage to 15mm axle compared to 9mm? Can anybody school me up on difference between the 2 QR's?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Big

It is a plain old 9mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    and is your head tube tapered?

if your bike doesnt have 15mm axles or tapered head then I guess I'm confused as to why not just get the cheaper straight 9mm shock?
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    Big

It is a plain old 9mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    2012's do have a tapered head tube

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ryan is correct. It is tapered.

After researching, It is not making sense - I do not see any weight savings - only benefit seems to be 15mm axle

mtbr member
    I don't understand the benefit of a tapered head.

Hank

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think its just basic physics.. a wider surface area = stronger/stiffer.
    there is no need to make the whole bar wider since most of the stress is only in the area where they made the bar wider..
    also i think the tapered head tube is a factor in the geometry and hence a factor in how the bike handles/performs..

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post

Hank

mtbr member
    Thanks,

Hank

mtbr member
    Its a lot of money for an upgrade that won't give you earth-shattering front-end stiffness over what you have..sure..its going to be better..but how much?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoots View Post
    and is your head tube tapered?

if your bike doesnt have 15mm axles or tapered head then I guess I'm confused as to why not just get the cheaper straight 9mm shock?
    Obviously he wants to upgrade the fork so that he can take advantage of the extra stiffness that a 15mm can provides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post

Hank
    Just to increase the lateral stiffness of the front end (less fork flex side to side as you turn/wrench the bars).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    lol.. if it was so obvious to him then why is he on here asking us the benefits of the fork?
    dont be a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Just to increase the lateral stiffness of the front end (less fork flex side to side as you turn/wrench the bars).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Ti, Bigs

Its a lot of money for an upgrade that won't give you earth-shattering front-end stiffness over what you have..sure..its going to be better..but how much?
    Ti,

You are right. I thought the fork was an upgrade, lighter, etc. The fork is heavier than my Fox Float -which I have no problem with the Fox. The only benefit being 15mm axle.

Not worth expense or effort

My bike does have the tapered steer tube

Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Here is what NORCO says about tapered head tubes...

Tapered Head Tube

Did you know that tapered head tubes were first used on road bicycles? A huge step forward in bicycle design, tapered head tubes provide three major benefits, all making the bike more responsive, stiffer and more exciting to ride.

Wider headtube junction: With a wider junction, engineers are able to use a larger down tube making it stiffer and more resistant to side loading and ensuring precise steering and bicycle control.

Stronger fork crown and steer tube: With a tapered head tube, we can make stiffer, stronger fork crowns and steer tubes than with traditional 1 1/8" designs, with no weight penalty. Increased strength means less flex for excellent front-end control while riding.

Optimized headset bearing: Using a 1 1/8" upper bearing and a 1.5" lower bearing creates the ideal blend between weight and strength. Oversized lower bearings are stronger, smoother and longer lasting, because of their improved ability to handle load, while the smaller upper bearings, which experience less load, are lighter.

No real data was provided by NORCO to back up any of the claims, but I wouldn't sweat it that your new bike does not have the THT/TST combination. You're not going to fall over because of it.

mtbr member
    lol.. if it was so obvious to him then why is he on here asking us the benefits of the fork?
    dont be a tool.
    Huh? The OP is asking what advantage a 15mm thru-axle gives and whether he should upgrade his fork (w/a 9mm standard QR) to get this feature. His bike has a tapered headtube so that was on his list of fork features he wanted. He also states that he will have to get a conversion kit for his front hub to accept the 15mm axle. Then the thread goes on some tangent about tapered steerers. Then you respond:

"if your bike doesnt have 15mm axles or tapered head then I guess I'm confused as to why not just get the cheaper straight 9mm shock?"

And I respond to you:

"Obviously he wants to upgrade the fork so that he can take advantage of the extra stiffness that a 15mm can provides."

Is it just me, or did you not comprehend the exchange? This is basic reading comprehension. You sir are the tool.
    Last edited by TiGeo; 12-06-2012 at 06:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If you want stiffer for way cheaper than swapping forks try the DT Swiss RWS 12mm thru-bolt, it's fully compatable wth 9mm quick release dropouts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan The VW Tech View Post
    If you want stiffer for way cheaper than swapping forks try the DT Swiss RWS 12mm thru-bolt, it's fully compatable wth 9mm quick release dropouts.
    Its a 9mm thru-QR, not a 12mm. My Stumpy had this set up when new and it worked well. Your front hub will need to be able to be adapted to fit the 9mm QR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    his exact question was "Is there an advantage to 15mm axle compared to 9mm? Can anybody school me up on difference between the 2 QR's?"
    and we told him exactly what was up.
    then you came on after all was answered and made little cocky comments.. that was my point.
    so lets move forward and not be arrogant and smug.. if the question is already answered and the op has already said "thank you" then we dont really need your commentary on how we replied to him.. nuff said.
    Huh? The OP is asking what advantage a 15mm thru-axle gives and whether he should upgrade his fork (w/a 9mm standard QR) to get this feature. His bike has a tapered headtube so that was on his list of fork features he wanted. He also states that he will have to get a conversion kit for his front hub to accept the 15mm axle. Then the thread goes on some tangent about tapered steerers. Then you respond:

"if your bike doesnt have 15mm axles or tapered head then I guess I'm confused as to why not just get the cheaper straight 9mm shock?"

And I respond to you:

"Obviously he wants to upgrade the fork so that he can take advantage of the extra stiffness that a 15mm can provides."

Is it just me, or did you not comprehend the exchange? This is basic reading comprehension. You sir are the tool.

mtbr member
    his exact question was "Is there an advantage to 15mm axle compared to 9mm? Can anybody school me up on difference between the 2 QR's?"
    and we told him exactly what was up.
    then you came on after all was answered and made little cocky comments.. that was my point.
    so lets move forward and not be arrogant and smug.. if the question is already answered and the op has already said "thank you" then we dont really need your commentary on how we replied to him.. nuff said.
    As long as the OP got his question answered correctly, I am happy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    agreed

mtbr member
    Greetings, I should have found this thread earlier. I am about to make exactly this same upgrade. I have the Superfly AL 2012 (non elite) which has the same fork Fox Evolution 32 Float 29 RL as the AL Elite 2012. Last month I upgraded my wheels - WTB Strykers XC 29". The front hub is made for the 15mm axle and I am using a conversion for 9mm. It only crossed my mind that since I have the front hub 15mm, it is a good reason to get a fork for that, but I thought in general it is difficult to find a fork made for TREK - G2, so I would never make such upgrade. Recently I found a surprising advertisment, the guy is selling the fork from Trek Superfly Pro 29" 2012, the RockShox SID XX 29. I already contacted him and the fork is on its way. As was mentioned, the upgrade cost/effect difference in frond end stiffeness ratio is not that high to what I have (the Fox fork is realy good). Maybe it is not worth the money, still I am buying it second hand for a lot less and I don't need to make any changes to front wheel hub. There are many advantages to the 15mm through axle. The standard QR 9mm simply does not stay completely precisely in possition as it should. My front rotor started rubbing the brake pad. After the ride, I turned the bike upside down, took out the wheel, placed it back carefully and firmly and mo more rubbing anymore. It was not a problem of brake adjustment, the wheel tilted!!! This or anything similar can never happen with the 15mm axle. I'll write an update after riding with the new fork. Scottz123, are you sure about that the fork: Fox Evolution 32 Float 29 RL on our Superflys is lighter than the RockShox SID XX 29? That can't be true. The RockShox SID XX 29 is a much higher class fork, it weighs 1650g. I really doubt that the our Fox fork is lighter. Is it dual air like the SID XX?
    To the advantage of a tapered head tube, I can compare this, my previous bike was Marin Nail Trail 29" 2011. It did not have tapered head tube and I remember how it was. I can tell the difference, it is significant! Stiffeness of the front end of the bike which results in better stability and handling - higher confidence in riding.

mtbr member
    Here is my update as I promissed. My new fork: RockShox SID XX 29" G2 (from Superfly Pro 29" 2012) has arrived. Unfortunately I was not able to install it. The headset on my Superfly AL 2012 is the FSA no. 57 like on the AL Elite, but the stock fork, the Fox Evolution 32 Float does not have a tapered neck even that it is made for a tapered head tube. Now that I have dismounted it I see how it is made. The larger diameter circle is integrated into the fork crown (on pictures in attachment) which fits into the bottom bearing of the headset the part is so called crown race which is fitted onto the fork crown around its neck. So I do not have this crown race. I will have to find it somewhere or get a new headset. Did not ride it yet.
    Scotz123, I weighted both forks and the RS SID XX is 200g lighter than the Fox Evolution Float 32 and including the hydraulic remote lockout lever, but without the 15mm axle which is + 70g. I put pics of that also.
    I'll write another update after I install the fork and ride it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fox Float 29 RL 9mm QR vs 2012 Rock Shox Sid XX tapered G2 fork with a 15mm axl-img_6173.jpg  

Fox Float 29 RL 9mm QR vs 2012 Rock Shox Sid XX tapered G2 fork with a 15mm axl-img_6172.jpg  

Fox Float 29 RL 9mm QR vs 2012 Rock Shox Sid XX tapered G2 fork with a 15mm axl-img_6160.jpg  

Fox Float 29 RL 9mm QR vs 2012 Rock Shox Sid XX tapered G2 fork with a 15mm axl-img_6162.jpg  

Fox Float 29 RL 9mm QR vs 2012 Rock Shox Sid XX tapered G2 fork with a 15mm axl-img_6167.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EOS_ View Post
    I'll write another update after I install the fork and ride it.
    Update please. I'm buying a suspension fork - a change from rigid - and I'm trying to decide between a Fox and a SID.
    Slow Old Guy

mtbr member
    Greetings,
    I am sorry, I forgot to update. I got the crown race and now it has been neerly a year I am riding with the RS SID XX 2012. The main difference is in the 15mm through axle. I feel that the wheel attachment is stiffer, steering/handling is more stable which results in a more confident ride. The fork it self, yes it has a tapered neck but as mentioned earlier that really does not make any difference in front end stiffeness. Its functionality (suspention smoothness - how it runs or what ever it is called) is not all that better than the stock FOX Evolution, I would say that it is practically neglegible. It is about 200g lighter, that also in my opinion would not be a reason for this upgrade. The reason why I got it was the 15mm through axle and that is what is most important. I placed some pictures. The fork is white original, since my bike is black, I got a piece of black foil from a local car tuning company and covered the fork to make it black.
    morton.tj, If it is a matter of which fork to choose, I guess there are threads devoted to this topic. My reply: if you are looking for a good suspension fork, there are other cheaper choices than the RS SID XX. It all depends on your budget. A good suspension fork is for example a RS REBA or a FOX Evolution CTD. Functionally they are like the SID, but a bit heavier and cheaper.

Fox Float 29 RL 9mm QR vs 2012 Rock Shox Sid XX tapered G2 fork with a 15mm axl-img_9345.jpgFox Float 29 RL 9mm QR vs 2012 Rock Shox Sid XX tapered G2 fork with a 15mm axl-img_0297.jpgFox Float 29 RL 9mm QR vs 2012 Rock Shox Sid XX tapered G2 fork with a 15mm axl-img_0295.jpg