mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Fox - FIT or non-FIT differences?

Im looking at my new ride - Giant Trance X 29er - and the x1 model seems a real value for the build - combo of x7/x9 and F32 CTD fork - but the non-FIT version.

My question - is the FIT version a big difference VS the non-FIT?

I ride the Anthem with FIT fork today, but honestly - dont really like the fork that much.

I've ridden a bike with the new CTD F34 fork in longer travel (140 vs 120 in the new trance and 100 on my Anthem) and felt it was supple when necessary (i.e. - bigger hits, downhill), good small bump and square edge compliance.

Bike will see my better wheels and get a brake upgrade - so its really a cost diff of about $1100 for the x0 with the FIT fork after its all said and done...

thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    fit refers to the seperation of oil and air in the fork, also a fit fork has a kash coating. Would think that the fork you tried was not set up well for you also the kash coating is supposed to be much more slick
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Forks can be very much hit or miss depending on the setup....and that can take time to precisely get right for you.
    In general FOX has a good reputation, so I would be unconcerned about getting a 'bad' fork. You just might need time to dial it in for your preferences.

And each year they come up with reasons why the old models are so much inferior to the new ones.....sometimes you have to take this with a grain of salt as they have new product to sell, and the differences can be quite subtle.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    I like my '10 non-FITF29 with a warranty replacement (kashima) stanchions better than my '11 FIT's