OriginalDonk

Fox F29 Float CTD Feedback

I'm in the market for a new 29er race fork and am wading through the marketing blasts from Fox and Rock Shox in addition to considering offering from Manitou and White Brothers. I've been happy with my 2012 F29 FIT RLC and my Revelation on my trail bike so I'm suspension agnostic. I feel like the Single Air Rock Shox is a bit more of a known entity and Fox CTD reviews seem to be pretty limited to the longer travel 34mm stanchion offerings.

Anybody spend some time with a 100mm F29 Float CTD ideally on a race setup that would be willing to weigh in? I don't see myself going between trail and descend when I'm at race pace though I've heard the progression is "improved." Looking to hear from somebody who isn't trying to get my dolla dolla bills.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm also looking for real information on the Fox 29 CTD fork.

mtbr member
    My new 2013 Anthem 29er came with the F29 CTD (and Float CTD shock), but I've only ridden it a couple of times so far.

Anyway, there's not much to say - it rides pretty much the same as the F32 on my Trance - which is good by the way, I prefer the feel of Fox over the RS Recon I had before.

I've not been tempted to change the settings mid-ride - I just set it at 'descend' if I'm on a technical trail, and 'trail' if I'm on a fire road. Makes things a bit simpler having the same settings on fork & shock, but other that that I wouldn't say there's anything revolutionary about the new CTD setup.

If, like me, you've got Fox on other bikes then it maybe worth staying with what you know - and it helps that they take the same spares at service time.

Mine doesn't have the remote, and while that may be a marginal benefit if you're in the habit of changing settings on the go - have you seen how ugly that lever assembly is!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im also looking at an Anthem x29, but here in Europe we got x0 with SID fork and all other eqp like the US modell 2012 0.

How much different would you feel between the Evo and factory Fox?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have the Float CTD setup front and rear. I really like it so far but haven't had THAT much time with it yet. I have yet to even use descend setting mainly because I forget to change it or dont wanna stop and lose momentum in order to change it from trail. The trail setting is plenty sufficient for the faster single track descents that I ride most of the time. The climb setting works really well too. Bike climbs like a HT when I want it to (or close to it as it can).
    13 Trek Superfly100 AL Elite
    06 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    ...have you seen how ugly that lever assembly is!
    I have, but I'm contemplating to mount it on the bottom side of the bar, in place of the front trigger shifter which won't be there. Not sure about usability in that position, though. Another option is iCD, when it comes out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i have it and like it. i didnt get the remote fork because i hate remotes. run it in descend
    for offrd riding, and trail for drt rds. the climb mode is pretty locked out with little movement, havent really used that. so far no complaints and one of the nicest forks ive used. i put this on a 2012 sworks stumpjumper because i didnt like the feel of the brain, even in the lowest setting. i am 160lbs, cat 1 and run around 80-90 psi.

metrotuned WoS
    peabody, I'm at least 30 lbs heavier and run at 85psi. Haven't been able to bottom out the fork yet. The rubber ring is at least 1" from the crown.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout