mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Fox 34 Talas 29 150mm???

Hi everyone!
    =========
    I read this on Niner's website: "The R.I.P. 9 is intended for 120 to 140mm forks, allowing riders to further fine tune the ride".

Niner is offering a custom build on their website, and one of the fork options is a Fox Talas 34 150mm travel. I couldn't find this fork anywhere on the web, not even on Fox website where the most aggressive 29 fork offered is the 34 Talas 29 with 110-140mm travel.

Do you know if this Fox Talas 34 150mm is made by Fox especially for Niner, or maybe there's a mistake on Niner's website and that Fox Talas 34 150mm is actually the 110-140 Talas, since "The R.I.P. 9 is intended for 120 to 140mm forks".

If it's really a 34 Talas 150mm, do yo know if it's 120-150mm travel?

Thanks, Mo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The only thing that I've hear about a 150 mm F34 is a physical mod of the internals. There is a small 10 mm post and disc inside that reduces the total travel. I can't find the thread, but I believe the posts were by forum member "krispy@go-ride.com" in a thread in the "Yeti" subforum (it was for a yeti SB95 bike).

He went in with a hack saw and removed these two 10 mm posts and discs which essentially turns the F34 into a 150mm travel fork. He didn't like how the travel felt with these posts, removed the posts, and then adjusted the oil level to compensate to make the fork less progressive and more linear. The mod looked very simple and his description on how it has changed the feel sounds very promising.

I hope he sees this thread and chimes in here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I also noticed that, and e-mailed Niner, but have not got a reply. Looks very interesting. RIP9 RDO with Fox 34 in 150mm. That would be my next bike, when they make it in black, raw carbon.

Rone

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

mtbr member
    May 2007

Done !

Hi, so I've done it on a 2013 model. I opened a new thread with pictures for the mod, it's on I've done the Fox 34 Float 29 2013 140 to 150mm travel mod
    Need to saw on the 2013 model !
    Enjoy
    Laurent