mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Fox 34 float 29 CTD 150mm or Rockshox Pike 29 150mm

I'm looking at 2014 Specialized Endueo 29er comp, with an OEM Fox 34 float 29 CTD 150mm fork.

I'v read a few positive comments and quite good impressions about the RS PIke, here on MTBR forum.

My lbs said he might be able to let me choose between the Fox 34 and the RS PIke.

So, should I keep the Fox or swap it with a Pike? (Pike has these black stanchions that's gonna fit perfectly the all black Endueo 29er comp color )

Which fork would you choose/prefer? Did anyone here try them both?

thanks, Mo.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Personally? I'd go Pike even though I've never ridden it yet. My 140 FOX goes through seals before breakfast. Plus it looks dope.

mtbr member
    I had/have heard the Pike was replacing the Fox on many models for 2014. I asked for a deep discount on my 2013 SJ FSR because of this, and was able to get the bike down to $2499. Same model is $3300 for 2014, presumably part of the cost increase is the Pike.

I knew I could get 10% off the 2014 SJ, but I thought the $470 I saved was good enough for now....

Without the deal, I almost certainly would have waited for a Pike shocked bike...

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have never owned a Fox 34 but do have miles on them & I always came away thinking, Maybe next years Fox34 will be better & I will buy then, Well it seams it isn't as good as the 2012.

I have now got the Pike on the front of my Rip9 RDO & it is a very nice fork, IMO hands down the Pike is a better fork for what I do.

My vote would be for the Pike.

Hi There!
    I only need 120mm at most for a fork so no Pike for me, but darn those black stanchions looks bad ass. I'd go Pike...
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I have never owned a Fox 34 but do have miles on them & I always came away thinking, Maybe next years Fox34 will be better & I will buy then, Well it seams it isn't as good as the 2012.

I have now got the Pike on the front of my Rip9 RDO & it is a very nice fork, IMO hands down the Pike is a better fork for what I do.

My vote would be for the Pike.
    That said, Fox has already admitted to the issues on the 2013s and have changed the curve on the 2014s, so comparing a know fork with issues with the new Pike isn't exactly a fair comparison since he'd be getting the new 2014 Fox if he got it.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    That said, Fox has already admitted to the issues on the 2013s and have changed the curve on the 2014s, so comparing a know fork with issues with the new Pike isn't exactly a fair comparison since he'd be getting the new 2014 Fox if he got it.
    You are kind of right, I was Talking about the 2012 as that is what I have ridden, I'm just going off what others I know have said about the 2013 Fox 34.

That said Fox are still having the same seal problems they have had for years & they were ok with releasing the 2013 That they did all there testing on & would have known it's down falls.

Those same people have put together the 2014.

Don't get me wrong if they bring out an awesome fork, I will buy 1 or 2.

But at the moment they are just to far off the mark IMO.

Try the Pike, It is a very nice fork, Stiff & smooth.

I'm sure the next years Pike will be better as well.

I will be putting a X Fusion on 1 of my other bikes to try that, I have a friend that rides both the Pike & the X Fusion & although he says the Pike is better, He says that it's not far off & in his opinion it is nicer than the Fox 34's he has ridden.

I'm sure that Fox will pick up there game again, But for now there seems to be quite a few Fox 34 owners looking at the Pike & X Fusion.

mtbr member
    Hey, for those of you going Pike, what kind of rake...the 46 or 51...for a HTA of 69.5*? IIRC, a 34 Float 29 is 44...?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Demon Cleaner
    I have the Pike 150 and love it, but it is way too early to count Fox out. We need a good back to back ride report from someone with extensive time on the 2014 model.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Structure View Post
    I have the Pike 150 and love it, but it is way too early to count Fox out. We need a good back to back ride report from someone with extensive time on the 2014 model.
    I clapped out a 2012 34 Float RLC 140...the thing's been back to Fox 3x for warranty CSU replacement. They're so fed up w/ me they're sending me a brand new (year unknown) 34 Float CTD. For me, Fox is OUT!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm running the 46 on my Rip9RDO & it's 69.5 HA & really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Hey, for those of you going Pike, what kind of rake...the 46 or 51...for a HTA of 69.5*? IIRC, a 34 Float 29 is 44...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I'm running the 46 on my Rip9RDO & it's 69.5 HA & really like it.
    FANtastic! Just needed some confirm on that Thanks!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Fox recalled certain forks with Trek, Specialized, Cannondale and Giant, I'm currently riding a Yeti ASR from '09 no problem and if you just service your fork it will run as it should! Kashima Coat kicks ass!
    SORBA-RAMBO Chapter
    Shred The Gnar

Deere Rider
    Fox 34 float 29 CTD 150mm or Rockshox Pike 29 150mm-20131106_160835.jpg

I was in your shoes a month ago. I found a few E29s with the Fox at various dealers and they did not want to drop the price. If they had knocked $500 dollars off...maybe.

That said, on the all black Enduro...the all black Pike looks sick. Just sick.

The upside is the Pike feels incredible on the trail. Much better than my 2013 34 on a previous bike. But we all know 2013 was a rough year for Fox.

Why not just have your dealer get an E29 with the Pike? Then you would have the 160mm fork. And I bought this bike for $3300 plus tax, for your pricing reference.

Don't buy the E29 with the Fox for $3500 like several dealers I found were attempting. That's just silly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Nice ride Titus. How do you like it, and what's the weight on that ride?

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis M. View Post
    Nice ride Titus. How do you like it, and what's the weight on that ride?
    Liking it very much, thus far. Size L and weighs 32.6 lb with 3 scoops of Stans in each tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    I only need 120mm at most for a fork so no Pike for me, but darn those black stanchions looks bad ass. I'd go Pike...
    RS had the 120 airspring out to convert the 29"version to 120.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i can't say about 29er as i'm still on my 26er... however my stump jumper evo came with fox float 32s 150mm, i had some issues with creaking CSU, send it back 4 times and they sent me new stanchions, on the 4th time they actually replaced my entire fork for a brand new set of float 34s 150mm CTD, i'm pretty happy with these forks, but there is one thing, the freaking things are creaking again under load.

So i'll try my luck with pikes next time... (on my new enduro 29er - coming soon)