mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Fox 34 140 vs. Rock Shox Revelation 140?

Anybody have any ride time on both the Fox 34 and the Revelation 140?
    I have a Revelation on the bike now, and I'm thinking of upgrading it to a Fox 34 140. Want to know if there will be a significant difference in performance between the two for bigger, rougher stuff.
    Anybody know the axle to crown difference between these two?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    some friends of mine say that Fox 34 much stiffer than Revelation, but not as stiff as WB Loop.
    IMO, you should consider WB Loop too. and it's cheaper than Fox 34 and have excellent damper

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just installed a fox 34 140 on my Tallboy and rode it for the first time today. The fox absolutely turned my Tallboy into an even more capable all mountain machine. Not sure on other fork, sorry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    IMO, Fox 34 on Tallboy is huge overkill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Gentleman View Post
    Not really.

IMO.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Have you ridden a Tallboy set up this way?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RBrady View Post
    Have you ridden a Tallboy set up this way?
    no, i don't any reason to build up cross-country bike with heavy overtravell fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This was not the reason I started this thread. Serves me right for trying to find some informed advice on this forum. Oh vey!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    no, i don't any reason to build up cross-country bike with heavy overtravell fork.
    ah ok so like many people on here - you are just guessing.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    morandi, if you super aggressive trail-AM-rider, i see point in upgrading. if not, i think you don't notice big difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    LeeL, i'm not guessing, because there is no point for me in considering Fox 34 for cross-country bike.
    when i built FS XC-trail, i didn't have Fox 34 in my choice list.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Sorry Morandi. You got derailed by Perfect Gravel Path Rider.

I've used both forks. I've used the Fox 34 on the Tallboy dropped to 120 9so the geo didn't get too compromised. I've also used the Fox 34 on a Bandit 29. I've used the RS Revelation on a Norco Shinobi.

I'm only 160lbs but frankly I didn't find either fork to be overwhelmingly stiff or precise - as say compared to a Fox 32 Float (which came with the Tallboy. It's too bad Fox didn't have the nuts to go the 20mm axle on the F34 so consumers could see if that would really make a difference.

I don't know the A2C on either forks.

Cannot WAIT for substantive input from Perfect road rider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    It's too bad Fox didn't have the nuts to go the 20mm axle on the F34 so consumers could see if that would really make a difference.
    you said that

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey LeeL, thanks for the solid input.
    I'm coming off a Mojo HD with a Fox 36 180, so any fork is feeling a bit anemic.
    I have to say I was expecting to be disappointed in the capabilities of the Rev 29, but it does not suck. Granted I have yet to push it really hard.
    I was just hoping the Fox 34 would close the gap a bit between the Mojo HD and the Stumpy FSR Evo that I'm lovin' right now, but seems like that won't really be the case.
    Maybe I'll just sit tight for now. Thanks.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Having ridden Fox 36 160s and Fox 36 180s I can assure that you'll be sadly disappointed. It strikes me that manufacturers are building 29er components for the majority of riders who use 29ers on decidedly non-technical trails. Not a knock on that majority of riders but the market for people who want to push 29ers hard enough to merit bigger gear probably isn't that big and is overly represented on internet forums.

I'll say one thing about both the 2012 Fox 34. Their damping system is adequate. One couldn't say that about the 2011 Fox FIT-equipped forks which had mid-stroke wallow that was hard to believe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Good to know. I bought my Stumpy Fsr Evo 29 as a general purpose trail bike. I'll just have to embrace that aspect of it, though its pretty surprising how capable it is.
    Agreed, the Fox Fit forks were truly abysmal.

mtbr member
    I ride a revelation 140 29 and it had a huge improvement in quality over my 26 fox 32 125mm, I havn't been impressed by the current fox forks but I'm still interested in trying one. They let themselves down not having a 20mm axle though.
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Old thread, new forks, same titles. On the fence between a Rev 140 and a Fox 34 for my RIP9. The majority of my riding is either XC or trail, but I'm rather aggressive and enjoy me some good rocky downhills. Anyone ridden both or have a strong feeling one way or another?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've ridden both and kept the dual air Rev 140 on my Kona Satori, including racing Downieville. That said I would take the new X-Fusion 140 fork over either the Rev or Fox, hands down.

mtbr member
    What didn't you like about the Fox? What do you like about the X-Fusion?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    Anybody have any ride time on both the Fox 34 and the Revelation 140?
    I have both. Fox 34 on my RIP and Dual Position Revs 110/140 on my Tallboy.

I'd say your decision to upgrade will be influenced heavily by your bike, your weight and riding style/terrain.

I am 230lbs and ride an XXL Tallboy and a XL RIP9 and a 2011 XXL Stumpy FSR 29er. If a bike is flexy I notice it. ( I run Flows on all of them )

The RIP with the F34 is the stiffest ( and heaviest) set up and out of the 3 and is the best when it gets chunky ( Push'd RP23 too).
    The Stumpy less so, but is a very comfortable bike for longer trips in the mountains.
    And the TB is the flexiest. However there is no doubt that is light, and fast over the distance. I used to have Fox 32 TALAS on the TB, but swapped out for 140/110 Revelations and I have been very impressed - plush and seem to match the bike well. I personally wouldn't put a F 34 on a normal Tallboy as I wouldn't see the benefit; a relatively stiff heavy fork on my flexiest, lightest bike?

Got a XXL TBLTc on order though, and in the absence of a stiff 150mm 29er fork I'll definitely be putting a set of F 34s on it !

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The damper makes a big difference in the Rev. I found the RCT3 Rev to be extremely plush and the LSC adjustment is nice. Has the least stiction of any fork I've used. I have an F34 CTD on my Tallboy LTc, though and I like it a lot.

mtbr member
    Thanks, all. Decided to go with the Fox. Should have by week's end.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Thanks, all. Decided to go with the Fox. Should have by week's end.
    What can you tell us from the upgrade? Was it worth it? Describe the improvements if there were any if possible please.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This is a really old thread. The Revelation has been completely redone since this started. It is now based on the Pike and has 35mm sanctions. Stiffness is not an issue. Main difference to the Pike is it has a motion control damper vs. the Pike's charger.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRP07 View Post
    What can you tell us from the upgrade? Was it worth it? Describe the improvements if there were any if possible please.
    You should probably pm him since he probably forgot about his thread from 4-1/2 years ago

Members who have read this thread: 25