mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Forks wanted, 15mm, Tapered. 29er obviously.

Any ideas on a decent yet reasonably priced fork fitting the above criteria lads ?

Looking at 100-120 travel.

I've got a few on watch list from Ebay in the US, but always up for more ideas...

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    what are you on?

mtbr member
    Manitou Tower Pro, but then I'm biased I've got two of them. I'd definitely buy one again. There have been lots of good reviews about this fork. It has a very easy to remove and install QR15 hex axle which is very stiff. Absolute+ damping works well and the fork can be locked out. Just do a forum search. I've posted the picture before but to wet you appetite....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forks wanted, 15mm, Tapered. 29er obviously.-img_1579.jpg  

Forks wanted, 15mm, Tapered. 29er obviously.-img_1503.jpg  

The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

15qr fork

I'll second Ronnie, The Manitou Tower Pro 2012 is a great fork. You have the ability to change the spring to your preference and body weight. In addition you can get the spring curve customized through your dealer or an after market kit that Manitou sells.

Chassis stiffness is excellent and the hex axle is super easy to use. Finally the MSRP is less then other brands with similar specs.

Nuts
    I'll have to disagree, I thought the axle on the Tower was a total pain in the arse to install. A friend of mine is selling his fork for this reason.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I'll have to disagree, I thought the axle on the Tower was a total pain in the arse to install. A friend of mine is selling his fork for this reason.
    Well I guess that some people are technically challenged or didn't read the instructions. It's as simple as: Hold the wheel with one hand, insert the axle with the other with the lettering facing up, rotate the QR through turn and close the QR. Done!
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Marzocchi 44 micro ti. Those went cheap a while back on chainlove, and I see some move periodically on ebay and the classified ads here.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Well I guess that some people are technically challenged or didn't read the instructions. It's as simple as: Hold the wheel with one hand, insert the axle with the other with the lettering facing up, rotate the QR through turn and close the QR. Done!
    Wow someone a little touchy about their pos Tower fork?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    what are you on?
    I'm confused, everyone else seems to understand ?

Shall i write it in crayons ?

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by weeksy950 View Post
    I'm confused, everyone else seems to understand ?

Shall i write it in crayons ?
    he meant what bike is this fork going to go on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    he meant what bike is this fork going to go on.
    Oh... lol... i look like a muppet then

It's an Alma 29 H70 - Orbea

Obrea Alma H70. Currently running some garbage spring things that are supposed to be forks.

The Manitou towers come in at 340 which is about $550 which for new forks, it's not bad at all.

Also a pair of RS from over the pond
    Rock Shox Sram XX Reba Fork 29er with remote lockout | eBay

and a pair of Bomber Ti's
    Marzocchi Bomber 44 Micro Ti 29er Fork Tapered Steer tube 15mm 100mm Travel | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Wow someone a little touchy about their pos Tower fork?
    I couldn't care less what you think of me or the Tower fork but when you post blatantly false information that the axle is difficult to install/remove, for people that have had no experience with it, your statement needs correction. It simply takes a few seconds to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post
    Marzocchi 44 micro ti. Those went cheap a while back on chainlove, and I see some move periodically on ebay and the classified ads here.
    Just keep in mind the 44 will be discon't after this year - per Mike Gold from Marzocchi.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Just keep in mind the 44 will be discon't after this year - per Mike Gold from Marzocchi.
    just the 29ers or the whole 44 range? wouldnt that create a big hole in the marz line up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    just the 29ers or the whole 44 range? wouldnt that create a big hole in the marz line up?
    My discussion (email) w/ Mike was specific to the 29er. They'll let the Corsa take over the 29er duties...and the carbon steerer version will be on deck for 2013. I can't elaborate more if the 26er 44 will also be discontinued. Sorry
    Last edited by Pau11y; 07-16-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I couldn't care less what you think of me or the Tower fork but when you post blatantly false information that the axle is difficult to install/remove, for people that have had no experience with it, your statement needs correction. It simply takes a few seconds to do.
    All I said is I didn't like the axle, it is not false for myself and 3 other people we thought it sucked. With all my other forks you drop the fork over the wheel it lines up and you slide the axle through and tighten. With the Tower one of the problems at least with the AC hub is the lowers and the hub wouldn't line up very easily which isn't that big if deal untill you are trying to line it up with a fork up on top of a SUV. Hey can I put your bike on the rack for you? Sure thanks the directions for the axle are in the glove compartment, thanks! Over engineered!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You're talking about the added difficulty of lining up the hex faces?

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    You're talking about the added difficulty of lining up the hex faces?
    Yeah lining that up was a issue and we got better at but I still think something wasn't exactly right with this fork. The hex and the spline on the other side didn't seem to mesh properly. The other thing I didn't like was when you set the fork over the wheel the stops on the fork legs would let the hub go past and it would be a 1/4 to a 1/2 of hole off from lining up. Which isn't a big deal in a situation where you have an extra hand or not in a hurry or trying to balance it on top of a car to get the axle in. I am not a brand specific person I use what works and we tried this one and it didn't work so on to the next. On a brighter note we really like the performance of this fork it was just a little noisy.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have been on the Manitou Tower Pro 15mm Tapered I have it on my Salsa Spearfish 1 I have three races on it a 10 hour where I had it set to stiff 110 psi,but it was all good I then did a 100 miler I had it set at 100 psi (I'm 172 in gear) I just did a 24 hour solo and I had it set at 90 psi on a rooty & rocky course and that was fine but then I went down hard and hurt my R/hand I went down on the psi to 70 and the bike handled like a dream.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Marz Corsa Super Legera Carbon Crown

PM me. Mine is for sale. Fork is excellent, super light and nearly new (maybe 1 month). Only reason for sale is I need longer travel. Smokin value. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Had a Tower Pro for a few weeks and it seems good to me. Easy to set up, stiff, very active over small bumps, uses all of its travel without feeling under controlled or like its blowing through and the price is very good.

The axle seems to be slightly more fiddly than a Maxle but the design works just fine. It would be a shame if every design was the same and any company being copied would have something to say about it if they were.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sorted now with a set of MArzocchi 44ti's.

Thanks all.

Dropshot Champ!
    does anyone know if the rockshox reba xx came in tapered and 15mm?

All I seem to find are non tapered + 15mm, or tapered + 20mm.

Thanks!