mtbr member
    May 2013

Fork Travel qustions

So I'm curious what would make a bike not be able to handle 100mm travel fork? Would this work for this frame?
    Fork Travel qustions-screen-shot-2013-06-06-1.10.10-pm.png

mtbr member
    No knowledge of that particular frame but the manufacturer had a fork length in mind when designing it. The longer the travel of a fork the longer the axle to crown length will be. That frame already has a fairly steep head tube angle (71). From the way you phrased your question I wondering if the manufacturer has specified a longer fork. If so, using a shorter travel fork will result in a steeper head tube making the bike handling very twitchy. Also using a shorter fork than specified will cause the bottom bracket to be lowered, resulting in excessive pedal strikes. It is generally advisable to use the manufacturers recommended for length.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It has a short fork on it now and I want something longer. Suntour said its like 65mm. so it would either be 100 or 80mm that I would want to use. ill have to try and call them and see if they can tell me.

mtbr member
    You don't need to do that. here's your fork on the Suntour site:

SR SUNTOUR Cycling

It appears to have 63mm. travel so it would appear that a 100mm. will slacken out the headtube angle, perhaps too much. If you think it's worth doing on that bike, I wouldn't go for more than an 80mm. fork.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So they got back to me, It can handle 100mm easily. I ended up exchanging the bike for a better model and it has the sct v3 100mm shock on it. So pushing it would be putting like a 120mm fork on it. but Im good at the 100mm the shock is a good entry level shock for me then I can upgrade it.