Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fork sizing

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  fruitafrank 
#1 ·
Looking to upgrade my forks but im not sure what the difference is between the 9mm and 15mm. I'm guessing the 9mm is standard on most bikes and the 15mm is a through axl. If I want to go with the 15mm, do I need to get a new wheel set or can I "convert" my stock wheel?

#7 ·
Stiffer fork, there is a wide range of hubs you can get now that will convert 9 to 15 to 20 mm axles. Hope, Chris King, Ringle, DT Swiss,Stans and I am sure others I can't think of right now.

#10 ·
Flowers would be a good place to start, I know all about that.

I was in the same situation but since I had just bought the wheelset I wanted I just had the front hub replaced (went with Hope Pro 2 Evo). This may be cheaper and might be an option for you if you don't really want to upgrade both wheels.
I had one LBS tell me that I would need to buy a new rim cause the one I had (2 weeks old) couldn't be rebuilt well. I thought that was BS and the next LBS was more then happy to reuse my old rim which has held up just fine.
You could also just buy a front wheel with a 15mm or 20mm hub to accommodate the fork.

#12 ·
I went with hope pro evo 2 front and back with Stans arch ex rims, you may not like the evo rear hub they are loud but I like that, coast and people hear you coming. Extra parts lead to extra bikes. I rebuilt my HT 29er from the frame up, had all these extra parts so I bought a FS 29er frame at the local bike show and now have 2 29ers 1 26 and two trials bikes. Once it starts it hard to stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.