mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Fork/shock upgrade questions

After a good 5 years I recently got back into biking regularly and since I sold my 08 Stumpjumper comp I wanted another full suspension bike besides my HT. Was looking at a new Stumpy comp but the Camber base 29 was on sale for $1500 and I figured I could use the savings to get a dropper (bought a Reverb Stealth) and slowly upgrade the bike.

Don't flame me too much now as I'm probably considered a noob compared to alot of the members here but I have a few questions.

Now I'm ready for a better fork and think I'd like to try the Revelation RCT3. It's 10mm more travel than the stock Recon on my bike and I'm assuming it shouldn't be too much of a difference in handling or geo? Also, what shock upgrade would mate up well with the Revelation, assuming that's what I end up with?

The other thing I'd like to upgrade right away are the brakes. The Tektro Geminis that came on the bike really aren't very good IMO. Infact, I feel like the XT v-brakes I recently put on my old HT Stumpy are better. No joke. So if I bought something like the Shimano Saint M820 brakes, would I be able to use the rotor that came with the bike? Like I said earlier, take it easy on me, I've rode pretty regularly my whole life but missed much of the last decade in advancements

Brody

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Does NOT know it all!
    I put Zee brakes on my Camber and they work great and saved me some money over buying the Saints. Your rotors should be fine and I'd wait until you need to replace them before buying new rotors. I have a Camber Comp Carbon and I sent my fork and shock out to PUSH Industries and they made them better than new. Someone on here can help with buying a fork and shock question.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks! I basically got the fork idea off the bike that you have, the 2016 model anyway. The carbon comp is what I wish I would have gotten in the first place but I figured it'd be best to make sure I still have the passion to ride like I used to, and I do. How much travel does your rear have, is it 130 like the fork?

As far as the brakes go, I've always ran shimano everything for the drive and brakes and the little extra money for the saint isn't a problem. I like to keep everything in line with one brand so I might check out Sram TL brakes too just to keep it clean. The drive will be a 1x eventually and leaning towards X0 or maybe X1 if I can afford the latter. Too many choices...

Does NOT know it all!
    Mine is a well used 2014. I bought it in the summer of 2014 and have over 2,500 miles on it already. I added a dropper post, Roval carbon wheels, an Easton carbon handlebar, SRAM carbon crankset, and XTR derailleurs, shifters, and chain. I finally got the bike the way I like it.

Fork/shock upgrade questions-image.jpg
    Life is short - enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Lovely ride matuchi! It'll be a full summer before I get mine spec'd to how I want it.

What mud guards are those? I've been thinking of getting a pair but want to order a set I know will fit a camber well.

Does NOT know it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post
    Lovely ride matuchi! It'll be a full summer before I get mine spec'd to how I want it.

What mud guards are those? I've been thinking of getting a pair but want to order a set I know will fit a camber well.

Those are Marsh Guards that I have with the logo facing towards the tires - it looks cleaner that way. I leave them on in the summer as I feel it helps to keep small rocks from kicking up and hitting the fork and shock.

My riding buddy bought a 2014 Camber Comp - he almost bought the base Camber - and he has been slowly upgrading his bike. The first thing he did was buy a discounted 2015 CTD Fox Factory fork - it's a totally differant ride now.

Although our bikes are two years apart, let me know if you have any questions about them - I may be able to help.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by matuchi View Post
    Those are Marsh Guards that I have with the logo facing towards the tires - it looks cleaner that way. I leave them on in the summer as I feel it helps to keep small rocks from kicking up and hitting the fork and shock.

My riding buddy bought a 2014 Camber Comp - he almost bought the base Camber - and he has been slowly upgrading his bike. The first thing he did was buy a discounted 2015 CTD Fox Factory fork - it's a totally differant ride now.

Although our bikes are two years apart, let me know if you have any questions about them - I may be able to help.....

Those mudguards look like they dont stop much. Or do they?

Does NOT know it all!
    They stop mud and muck from hitting my fork and shock in the winter - which helps save the fork seals and stantion tubes - I have a dedicated set of fenders/guards for the winter season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    They stop mud and muck from hitting my fork and shock in the winter - which helps save the fork seals and stantion tubes - I have a dedicated set of fenders/guards for the winter season.
    Yeah I know they do but they look small and it looks like most of it still hits the frame

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Revelation would be a nice upgrade over the Recon, or a Fox 34 or Pike (2015 models can be found cheap). I upgraded my HT lower end RS fork from 120 to a Fox 34 130mm and it was a great upgrade. I've got a Pike on my FS 29er, it's definitely a great fork. Fox 32 are close to the Revelations now for 2016, but if shopping close out 15s I'd pass on the 32s, I found them to be rather noodly.

For the rear shock I'm not up on my what fits a specialized, but the new Fox lineup is very nice, as is the RS Monarchs (with or without debonair). Cane Creek makes some sweet ones as well.

Brakes, whatever you choose will be an upgrade, whether SLX, XT, Saints, you name it.

Enjoy your bike, Cambers are great bikes.

Does NOT know it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karm0Zz View Post
    Yeah I know they do but they look small and it looks like most of it still hits the frame
    In the summer I'm using them for fork and shock protection - in the winter I use a fender on the seatpost and another piece on my downtube - and that keeps everything pretty much mud free. You can kind of see them in the photo below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    In the summer I'm using them for fork and shock protection - in the winter I use a fender on the seatpost and another piece on my downtube - and that keeps everything pretty much mud free. You can kind of see them in the photo below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	323.1 KB 
ID:	1071548

Oh yeah. Good ideas you have!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for the input Kevin.

The Monarch is what I was thinking of going with for the shock. They aren't too spendy and I hear nothing but good about them. I kind of want to stick with RS front and back, no reason other than just keeping it uniform but I won't pass on a sale or deal.

Brakes are just garbage, I can't even explain how disappointing they are! I still have some time to decide on components as I'm trying to build a old M2 Stumpjumper frame right now and that's sucking alot of fun money up.

I'll try to keep the thread updated as I go.

Does NOT know it all!
    I'm trying to build a old M2 Stumpjumper frame right now and that's sucking alot of fun money up.
    What year? I fixed up my old 1996 M2FS Comp for my 12 year old son.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Same bike but the light blue. I've been looking for the 96 Stumpy FSR frame with no luck. I'd LOVE to build a bike out of that old school full suspension frame.

My 96 was just stripped down to the frame the other day. I had a pretty good build but everything was 5-8 yrs old RS Sid fork, HED wheels, full XT everything, Thomson Elite post Selle Bilanciata CF/Ti saddle...now it's all on a 2001 Hotrock frame my buddy gave me and my brother powdercoated. That'll be the rig I yank the kids trailer around with. The stumpy is getting full XT with a 1x11 drive but I'm not sure what fork or wheels to use yet.

Does NOT know it all!
    My wife bought a 1996 Ground Control the same time I bought my Stumpy - she still rides it with us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    My wife bought a 1996 Ground Control the same time I bought my Stumpy - she still rides it with us.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	482.3 KB 
ID:	1071566
    my dream frame. After a carbon camber of course!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    So I was talking to a fella on another forum about what he thought I could get for my take off fork and shock when he told me the shock will pretty much be sellable to Specialized owners because of the proportairy yoke (and who wants a X-Fusion...).

What will I have to do in order to get a Monarch like this one,https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=74117, to fit my Camber? I assume the 2016 Stumpjumper 29 specific shock will fit the 2016 Camber 29 but I really don't know.

Anyway, here's what I've decided on and will buy slowly as funds roll in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you want Sram brakes don't buy those. It's old tech. You won't find them on the Sram site.
    Sram has a new design which is a major improvement .
    https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/family/guide-brakes
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=5215
    Also pick another fork. 32mm stanchions are not enough for 130mm of travel these days.
    A Pike or Fox 34 is a better choice.
    If I were buying a fork for this bike I'd go Boost and do a wide rim 15x110 new wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'll take your word on the brakes, I've never really been a brake snob but the Tektros that came on my bike are downright horrible. Thanks for the heads up.

I've rode 80 100 and 120 on 32's throughout my last 3 rides and haven't any issues. 130 is longer and sure a 34/35/36 stanchions would be stronger but we're talking millimeters. I'm not sure a couple hundred dollars more for the pike is worth a 3mm thicker stanchion when I likely won't ride a 130/32 Revelation to its limits anyway. I respect your opinion on that but I'm not seeing the big advantage there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It will depend on how hard you ride, of course. But you're setting up the bike to handle some significant speed and bumps going downhill. If you don't need 130 for your terrain a 120 fork might be a better choice.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    If you want Sram brakes don't buy those. It's old tech. You won't find them on the Sram site.
    Sram has a new design which is a major improvement .
    https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/family/guide-brakes
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=5215
    Also pick another fork. 32mm stanchions are not enough for 130mm of travel these days.
    A Pike or Fox 34 is a better choice.
    If I were buying a fork for this bike I'd go Boost and do a wide rim 15x110 new wheel.
    I'll take your word on the brakes, I've never really been a brake snob but the Tektros that came on my bike are downright horrible. Thanks for the heads up.

I've rode 80 100 and 120 on 32's throughout my last 3 rides and haven't any issues. 130 is longer and sure a 34/35/36 stanchions would be stronger but we're talking millimeters. I'm not sure a couple hundred dollars more for the pike is worth a 3mm thicker stanchion when I likely won't ride a 130/32 Revelation to its limits anyway. I respect your opinion on that but I'm not seeing the big advantage there.

Think the whole 32mm stanchion thing really depends on rider, terrain and fork. I have been running an old 2011 Revy for the last two years without problem. I am 180+lbs and ride hard with my Revy at 140 and never really experienced any fork flex unless I was g-out in a big turn. With my Revy finally dying I am updating to a 34mm stanchioned fork. With my old 32mm 100mm Tower Pro it was just fine for most XC stuff but when I pushed the limit of the fork I could really feel the fork flex.

Oh and if you plan on using Universal Cycles for most of your purchases then don't forget to use the VIP15 coupon code....